How often do you take Communion?

Weekly? Monthly? Practically never?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

How often do you take Communion?

Daily
No votes
Weekly
23%
Monthly
54%
Occasionally
14%
Rarely
3%
Never
6%

Total votes: 35

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Shad Lexer wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:Every week. \:D/ In the New Testament, one of the main reasons Christians gathered together was to break bread, right up there with prayer and the apostles' teaching. No reason we should not do the same today!

That depends on how you interpret "breaking bread". In 1st century times, that was often simply a phrase used to refer to eating a meal. On the other hand, when Jesus said "as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me", the "do this" was a reference to Passover.

That being said, my church does it once a month. lol I don't really know why, but it's not a bad thing however you do it.
Actually, I agree with you on that part. Which is why our church has communion as part of a full meal, or agape feast as the New Testament calls it. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Every quarter, so occasionally. \:D/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

The Church of Sweden offers communion most every Sunday and Wednesday. I usually take it unless there is an obvious reason not to. (my illness or someone else's obvious illness as we use a communal cup)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Dakota
Found

Post by Dakota »

My church dose it Every 2ed week of the month
I'za weirdo.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

My church does it about every three months. It's at the end of every "quarter" we have. I'm not home much, and when I am it never seems to be around communion, so I haven't had it since.. Spring Break. And I'm okay with that. (I don't really like any of the churches in town, regardless of the vast many there are in my area that I am at school for, so I don't attend church like I should. I guess I never felt I gained anything from church except chatting with friends, which is only worth it when I haven't seen them in months).
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I think we do it pretty much on easter only....and they use grape juice. :(
ique
Found

Post by ique »

used to have it weekly.. but that hasn't been the case for years, now that our church stopped meeting. the very few members dwindled away several years ago.
Batman wrote:I think we do it pretty much on easter only....and they use grape juice. :(
that's been my experience at any other churches i've gone to... >_>
crackers and grape juice. it just feels so... walmart.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

At my cousin's church (that we went to when her son was baptized) they actually had the grape juice and *gasp* wine in big goblets. We were given a piece of bread to dip into either beverage, though the younger children were required to use the juice. ;) It was a really interesting, different way to do it...

...But I must add: I will never drink wine. :noway: It's disgusting. xD (at least the kind they had for communion... it was probably a cheaper kind, since they do it weekly. *shrugs* haha)
Last edited by Termite on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Wine is actually pretty tasty if you get a good bottle, it's also healthy! \:D/ (In great moderation of course)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I've had a sip of white wine... I confess, the most nastiest stuff ever. Beer I have heard is worse, so... yeah, I'm not much for alcohol. lol.

My church uses unleavened bread and grape juice. I find nothing wrong with either.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

My church uses some kind of cracker stuff and grape juice. So it gets poured into these tiny little plastic cups, which are put in a holder thing that gets passed around for each person to take one, and it's one of those things where you hope nobody drops it. :oops:
Batman wrote:Wine is actually pretty tasty if you get a good bottle, it's also healthy! \:D/ (In great moderation of course)
Just bring your own bottle and loaf to church next time. Party! \:D/

And a (sort of) funny story about communion. I think this was from one of the speakers at camp this summer... he was talking about how when he was a kid he just went to church because it was the "normal thing". And at his church each person would go up front to get their communion things, and then go back to their seat, but his family would just walk straight out the back, instead of going back to their seats. Kept them from getting caught in parking lot traffic. :thumbsup:
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

DanP740 wrote:My church uses some kind of cracker stuff and grape juice. So it gets poured into these tiny little plastic cups, which are put in a holder thing that gets passed around for each person to take one, and it's one of those things where you hope nobody drops it. :oops:
This is how it's done at the churches I've been to, and I think about that every time! Can you imagine the embarrassment of dropping it? Now I've going through YouTube looking for videos. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

My church does it on the first Sunday of every month. :) It's very beautiful.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

My church has 'graduated' from crackers to cardboard. O.o

They're disgusting, but easy to break in half.... Y'know, 'Break the bread as my body was broken,' or something along those lines. My pastor always says it.

Last edited by Termite on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

My church does it every month I think.. Although, I have never in my life taken part in Communion. It's because my dad believes that you can't take part in Communion unless you have been baptized. And well, I've never been baptized (I mean, I do plan to get baptized. Sometime. I just haven't yet).

Everybody always looks at me weird when I don't take Communion, though. :|
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

snubs wrote:And well, I've never been baptized (I mean, I do plan to get baptized. Sometime. I just haven't yet).
Go for it, snubs. :yes:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

snubs wrote:My church does it every month I think.. Although, I have never in my life taken part in Communion. It's because my dad believes that you can't take part in Communion unless you have been baptized. And well, I've never been baptized (I mean, I do plan to get baptized. Sometime. I just haven't yet).

Everybody always looks at me weird when I don't take Communion, though. :|
My church is the same as snubs. Once a month.
And I too have never participated in communion because my mom believes that you have to be baptized before you take part in communion. I don't get weird looks from people though...
Today I told my pastor that I'd like to get baptized so I suppose next month will be the first time I take part in communion! :)
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Whenever our church has it and I happen to be attending that week.

Otherwise I do it at Passover, the same time of year that Jesus did.
Eugene Meltsner Fan
Gold Member

Post by Eugene Meltsner Fan »

Once a month. I like it that way.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Termite wrote:My church has 'graduated' from crackers to cardboard. O.o

They're disgusting, but easy to break in half.... Y'know, 'Break the bread as my body was broken,' or something along those lines. My pastor always says it.

Those things look like foam... and disgusting...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.