Preferable "Christian" Occupations

What would you choose between these?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

If you had to be one of the following, which would you pick?

Pastor
No votes
Singer
6%
Teacher
19%
Secretary
No votes
Evangelist
No votes
Missionary
13%
Youth worker
25%
Music director
No votes
Instrumentalist
13%
None of the above
25%

Total votes: 16

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Preferable "Christian" Occupations

Post by American Eagle »

These (and perhaps others) are considered to be "Christian" occupations. If you were going to do one of them for a living, which would you prefer? Or do you have other plans?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Nurse or even Doctor. Yes, you can work on a Sunday (or in my case, Saturday), and not be breaking the Sabbath (yes, in my case again). My mom is a nurse and works on Saturday a lot. Missing church doesn't condemn you to hell. Even my mom told me this, "If I had the choice of helping my patients or going to church, I would pick my patients any day because they need me more."

Things can look annoyingly controversial when it comes to being a doctor or nurse, but its helping others... did Jesus not heal the sick and do daily things on the Sabbath? (coming from my standpoint and sometimes how annoying I feel my church can be...)
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

...I really wasn't aware anyone was implying that working on days you'd normally go to church will send you to Hell. That's pretty screwed up >_>.

Out of the list above, I'd choose singer- however that's pretty much my dream job, anyway. It's not always a Christian profession, though, and being an 'instrumentalist' certainly doesn't give you the opportunity to voice your beliefs concerning the Lord. If we're just adding professions to the list that have absolutely no Christian ties, then shouldn't we just assume that any job a Christian does is a 'Christian' profession? And even then, can we really call one job 'Christian' and another non? The whole thing seems rather silly. The only true 'Christian' jobs seem to be being a pastor, evangelist, or missionary.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Iron and Light wrote:...I really wasn't aware anyone was implying that working on days you'd normally go to church will send you to Hell. That's pretty screwed up >_>.
You'd be amazed what I've heard as I've grown up. Once even my best friend was like, "Why isn't your mom at church? Does she not believe in God?" (back when we were younger, of course, and didn't understand...." I'm not saying anyone was implying it here, but there seems to be a lot of conservatives on this board. Just defending myself before my own beliefs seem to be disregarded.

Though, I'd have to agree with you, I&L. Really, any job could be a "Christian" job... I think it would be how the person uses it to and for their advantage. Because even being a teacher or hey, even a pastor if we wanted to stretch it that far, could definitely not be a "Christian" job to some. And yeah, there are more, and could be more.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

AE, perhaps you should rename this thread "Ministry Occupations" or something. ;) People seem to be getting in a tizzy.
Iron and Light wrote:Out of the list above, I'd choose singer- however that's pretty much my dream job, anyway. It's not always a Christian profession, though, and being an 'instrumentalist' certainly doesn't give you the opportunity to voice your beliefs concerning the Lord.
He probably meant singer or instrumentalist in a strictly Christian capacity, which, if you're good at an instrument and use your talents in church or other such christian venues, then yes people would see that you're putting your talents to the work of the lord...or whatever.

Anyway, I can't really say I want to be involved in any sort of ministry beyond being a witness in my own way (letting your light shine through and all). But eh, ambitions change, maybe someday. :P
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The more controversial, the better! \:D/

Tyler is correct. Several of these occupations can be used for God, or for the world. Take singer, for example. Most singers don't have anything to do with God, but my sister is a talented vocalist who has traveled to scores of churches nationwide singing in her college tour group. Undoubably, her group uses singing directly for the LORD.

As has been stated, you can use any job for Christ. The janitor in The Conscientious Cross-Guard certainly did. However, some positions are moreso deemed "full-time".

Personally, I'd love to work with kids. I spent a week as a Vacation Bible School leader, and it is awesome. Kids are also very open to the Gospel, and always want to have fun. Ten years from now I might be more interested in teenagers, but I'm not sure most teens would look up to be as a teacher just yet. ;) A missionary would be awesome as well.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A Christian Ninja.

Kill people with ninja stars with BIBLE VERSES on them.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Mine would be a mixture of both a nurse, missionary, and simply a mother/foster mother. Technically practically every decent job there is can be used for God or not. I'm actually planning on being a nurse, missionary, and a mother/foster mother. Those are my dream occupations.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I was going to choose 'singer' but I want to be a combination of a counselor/someone who uses art to help hurting people/artist/ writer.

Till the end of the line.
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I pick instrumentalist because you don't have to talk.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

SivartM wrote:I pick instrumentalist because you don't have to talk.
Me too. \:D/ But I don't play any. :cry:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Teacher all the way! I've wanted to be a teacher since I was ten. :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I'm hoping to be a Youth Pastor. :)
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

You would make a great youth pastor. xD Just sayin'.

Street ministry through football. I'd love to do this in England, but that's a bit farther off. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

A missionary doctor or dentist. I want to do that in some Spanish speaking country.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Psychologist. :D That's what I'm in college for. You can witness to these people and help them with life decisions and psychological disorders at the same time. :)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings