What Bible Version Do You Use?

KJV? NIV? ESV? NASB? Vote and discuss!

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

What version(s) who you use?

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
10%
American Standard Version (ASV)
No votes
New King James Version (NKJV)
10%
New International Version (NIV)
36%
Revised Standard Version (RSV)
No votes
English Standard Version (ESV)
9%
New Living Translation (NLT)
4%
King James Version (KJV)
24%
The Living Bible
No votes
The Message
6%
Other (post below)
1%

Total votes: 70

Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I generally use the ESV, or the NASB, since they are the most accurate to the original languages. This is a good link about the ESV: http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-lib ... es-the-esv
American Eagle wrote:There are other reasons too, such as well-known inaccuracies in translations like the NIV, and specifically, I hate that most versions take out the fact that Mary was a virgin, calling her a "young woman" instead (Isaiah 7:14).
I hate to break it to you, but the Hebrew word in Isaiah 7:14 is not the Hebrew word commonly used for virgin. It is "almah" or "young maiden". In Hebrew, the word "betulah" was the word commonly used for virgin. This was used by Isaiah in 23:12, for example. I'm not denying that Christ fulfilled that prophecy, for the NT clearly states that he did. I do think, however, that it can correctly be translated as "young maiden/woman".
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah, cause back then young women were stoned if they weren't virgins, which hopefully would be a cultural-known fact. :yes:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Bring back these old fashioned traditions, I say! \:D/
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Dang, there would be no one at my high school anymore. :(
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Termite wrote:Yeah, cause back then young women were stoned if they weren't virgins, which hopefully would be a cultural-known fact. :yes:
The Mosaic Law probably wouldn't have mattered all that much -- Israel wasn't even following it at the time, since they were worshiping idols and such.

I think God left intentional ambiguity in this passage, because it was fulfilled twice. Once in Isaiah's son, and again in Jesus.

Anyways, sorry to get off topic.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I use the NIV Version as well as the King James Version :)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Preferably KJV. I don't think it's wrong to use other versions though.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I rarely use anything other than the KJV.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Peachey Keen wrote:King James Version always. Other translations sometimes take things out of context. Also God said that his Holy Spirit would help us know what the Bible says when we don't understand it. When man trys to make it simpler, it's just man's interpretation, not God's.
There are bad and mediocre translations out there, sure, but NASB and others are proven to be more accurate than KJV. For instance the KJV authors randomly thought it would be cool to incorporate the cockatrice into the Bible when the original wording is a normal animal. \:D/

I, for one, think incorporations of cockatrices is something long overdue, however adding them to holy scripture is likely not a wise idea. ;) Matter of fact, its a thing people use to disprove the Bible, since its a fictional creature.

.......or is it!? :shock:
That's a good quorstion there , Torp!

I still think KJV is pretty much the king. Although I do read pretty much all of them on biblegateway.com.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

King James Version I learned young, but now don't use it, as it wasn't necessarily directly translated, as it was slightly biased toward the king, who sanctioned the writing of it and given instructions that it conform to the current beliefs and traditions of the Church of England. It also doesn't include some information from texts that have more recently been discovered, and some words aren't translated as well as they now are due to advances in more knowledge of the Hebrew language.

Now I use NIV, mainly due to the relative accuracy and the common use of it (easiest to follow along in church, have during Bible studies, etc.) though I know NASB is supposed to be the most accurate of all the translations, so I'd love to get one of those for study purposes.

Some versions I do believe are too modified from the original to be as accurate and made confusing by making it "politically correct", for example always making things "him or her" instead of just "him"...that just gets confusing reading over and over again.

I can see The Message being a good thing for non-Christians to have, just to get them interested in it and to have something very simplified so that it doesn't have to be explained as much...or even as an addition to the Bible--for interest's sake. However, it is not a "translation"...very much paraphrased and made story-like and simplified, which makes it lose a lot of its meaning, and gives a version edited to the author's opinions of what it says.

Other translations (like ESV) I don't know a lot about, so I'd like to do some study to find out about those and how they differ.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Green Ring
Gold Member

Post by Green Ring »

I USE NIV :highfive: KJV
This Banner Is FREE
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I use God's version. \:D/

;)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

I use NIV, but I prefer ESV.
~Mark Prescott~
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

My apologies to bump this thread, but I use the Klingon Language Version.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

31899 wrote:My apologies to bump this thread, but I use the Klingon Language Version.

lol. That's funny in a sort.

I use the KJV and occasionally use the NIV.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

I use KJV for school, but I like to use NIV or NKJV for anything else. I don't really like the kJV because I think it is too hard to follow.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

I usually use the NIV because of NAZ quizzing. But I think sometime I might crossover to the TNIV which is the updated NIV.
Sunshine
Smile for the camera

Post by Sunshine »

I use NIV. I guess because it's what I've always used.