What does "CHRISTIAN" mean to you?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

"Christ-like"
12%
"Little Christ"
No votes
Follower of Christ
77%
Relating to Christianity
No votes
Member of a Christian Denomination
No votes
Other (post it)
12%

Total votes: 26

American Eagle
Chief of Police

Post by American Eagle »

If someone were walk up to you and begin this conversation...

Them: "Hey, are you one of them Christians?"
You: "Yes, sir, I am."
Them: "Well, what does 'Christian' mean anyway?"
You: "_____"

What do you think?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

One who has dedicated their complete self to the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

\:D/
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Bible-thumpin', Jesus-preachin, Scripture-reading, child of God
As Carmen puts it ;)

But really, a Christian is simply any ordinary person saved by Jesus and washed by His blood. Someone who has accepted God's forgiveness and started to walk in a new path, dedicated to becoming more like Christ.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Wow SNC you said that way better than I did. Thats what I meant.

\:D/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

The think of it the same way SnC and iluvsns do. :yes:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

The term "Christian", can be used for lots of religions. People who say they are "Christian" are not.

I think of a Christian as somebody who believes with all his heart that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, came to earth, died for us on the cross to take our punishment for sin, shed His blood, rose again the 3rd day, is the ONLY way to God, accepts God's FREE gift, and is in Heaven preparing a place for us to live eternally for those who trust in Him. :yes: I can only wait for Jesus to come back to earth and rapture all believers to come home! That'll be the best thing in my life! \:D/ i can't do that smiley enough to show how i feel about it!
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Whitty Whit wrote:The term "Christian", can be used for lots of religions. People who say they are "Christian" are not.
Ya, that's true. I think 'Christ-follower' is a better term, because true Christians follow the example of Jesus Christ. :yes:
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

The word literally means "little Christ", so that was the first thing that came to my mind. That is not a title I deserve, to be sure, apart from His grace shed on me.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

An absolute follower of God and a born-again believer.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

While it technically means "little Christ", I can't live up to that title and am only saved by God's grace and His work in me...so I have to go with "follower of Christ", as that represents my desire to be like His disciples and walk in His steps.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Eh... in reality, it's more of a religious term than anything else. Not all practicing Christians necessarily have a relationship with Christ. Still, I won't get nitpicky about it if someone says "I'm a Christian," to express their belief in God.
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

I personally think that being a true christian means beliving in God, that he saved you from your sins, and wanting to be like him. but I agree that some people just call themselves christians without having a relationship with God.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

Being a christian to me means that you do you're best to not be of this world, just because you're in it. It means to have a relationship with Christ, and living an example of how he would want you to live. And you know? There are people that talk about being a christian or whatever they believe in as if it were a nationality. I've heard this:

Friend: I like your shirt. (christian themed shirt)
Me: Thank you.
Friend: Yeah I'm Christian too.
Me thought: Really? Actions speak louder than words...

And I know it's not our place to judge, but you see my point right? Actions speak louder than words. We can say "I'm a christian" or I'm a disciple of Christ", till we turn puple with orange polka dots! But the difference is a real radical Christian, someone who actually believes what he/she talks about will live it too. (S)He won't just talk the talk, but walk the walk too. That's what Christian means to me.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

What is a "Christain"? I say a slave of Christ. I mean, if I was actually talking to someone I would either say a slave or a believer/follower of Christ.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Jason Whits son wrote:Being a christian to me means that you do you're best to not be of this world, just because you're in it. It means to have a relationship with Christ, and living an example of how he would want you to live. And you know? There are people that talk about being a christian or whatever they believe in as if it were a nationality. I've heard this:

Friend: I like your shirt. (christian themed shirt)
Me: Thank you.
Friend: Yeah I'm Christian too.
Me thought: Really? Actions speak louder than words...

And I know it's not our place to judge, but you see my point right? Actions speak louder than words. We can say "I'm a christian" or I'm a disciple of Christ", till we turn puple with orange polka dots! But the difference is a real radical Christian, someone who actually believes what he/she talks about will live it too. (S)He won't just talk the talk, but walk the walk too. That's what Christian means to me.
Exactly. 8-) Though I'm pretty certain most of us will never turn purple with orange polka dots...perhaps purple with pink polka dots... :lol: But that is a very good way of putting it. I dislike how "Christian" has become a common term for "I generally believe in God and sorta go to church sometimes..." instead of "I am saved by Jesus and want to walk in HIs footsteps the rest of my life".
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)