Where's my tie? Where's my hose?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

I always dress up for church, but not as much on Wednesday nights as Sundays. :yes:
Love You, Lee! :hug:
We'll love you forever, SnC. Thanks for showing us how to be so Strong in Christ. :hug:
I love you... Anne, Sapphire, IDANCE, Joanne, Mimi, Laura, and especially dear Lee. :hug:
And, my wonderful guy friends are: AE, Regis, ric, Marvin, Whitty Whit, and thegreenringc!

"I May do silly things, but I do them with enthusiasm!"
"A Day without Laughter is a day wasted."
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

Check out the free, fun, and fantastic shop: Express Yourself By Alyssa!

You know me..always ready for a chat! ;) Send me a PM soon, whether I just met you, know you well, haven't talked to you in a while, or haven't met you at all!
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Same here. ^^ :yes:

\:D/
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

iluvsns wrote:
Hollister wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
Joanne wrote:I like wearing skirts to church... not really fancy just nicer. Plus skirts are fun to wear. At my church we do anything from dresses to jeans. :)
Alright... I'm gonna say something that might get me shot. I wear skirts EVERY day. I"ve never even worn jeans. O.o... go ahead and get me, but that's the way we believe. :D And I'm not condemning you if you wear pants. :) But I hate wearing dresses. :blah: So I always wear a nice blouse or sweater to church. :yes:
Lee, you would fit in nicely with my family. ;)
Want to adopt me? JK.
\:D/ =D> :o

someone like meeee!!!!! I don't wear skirts every day but my family does wear skirts more than most. :D And even when I do wear pants I usually wear it with a longer shirt. I have worn jeans, but usually just for riding. w00t! We can be unusually cool together!!! :d
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Hmm.. of course I will never wear sweat pants. I hate wearing them.
he/him | a little stinker.
Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

Joanne wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
Hollister wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
Joanne wrote:I like wearing skirts to church... not really fancy just nicer. Plus skirts are fun to wear. At my church we do anything from dresses to jeans. :)
Alright... I'm gonna say something that might get me shot. I wear skirts EVERY day. I"ve never even worn jeans. O.o... go ahead and get me, but that's the way we believe. :D And I'm not condemning you if you wear pants. :) But I hate wearing dresses. :blah: So I always wear a nice blouse or sweater to church. :yes:
Want to adopt me? JK.

someone like meeee!!!!! I don't wear skirts every day but my family does wear skirts more than most. :D And even when I do wear pants I usually wear it with a longer shirt. I have worn jeans, but usually just for riding. w00t! We can be unusually cool together!!! :d
As you know Lee, I also always wear skirts. I do the exact same thing as you. ;)
We'll love you forever, SnC. Thanks for showing us how to be so Strong in Christ. :hug:
I love you... Anne, Sapphire, IDANCE, Joanne, Mimi, Laura, and especially dear Lee. :hug:
And, my wonderful guy friends are: AE, Regis, ric, Marvin, Whitty Whit, and thegreenringc!

"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

You know me..always ready for a chat! ;) Send me a PM soon, whether I just met you, know you well, haven't talked to you in a while, or haven't met you at all!
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Alyssa wrote:
Joanne wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
Hollister wrote:
iluvsns wrote:
Want to adopt me? JK.

As you know Lee, I also always wear skirts. I do the exact same thing as you. ;)
Good. :yes: I only wear pants for pajamas... very cozy and comfy. :D

Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

TWO girls like me??? wow I never thought this would happen... :D
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Make that 3. ;) Yay skirts!

For church I wear nicer skirts and tops, with a dress now and then. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

We should start a club. :yes: GWWS (girls who wear skirts. ;) )

Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

Yay for Joanne, Laura, Lee, and Emma! ;) We totally should start a club Lee. :D And, as you said above Lee about wearing them only for Pajamas...same here! :yes:

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Steve wrote:jeans and a button down or polo shirt.
Same here.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

I usually wear a nice skirt and blouse to church, or some kind of sorta dressed up outfit. 1st reason, i personally feel like im honoring God by wearing my better clothes on Sundays at church. 2nd reason, mostly everyone else dresses up so....:)
As far as Wednesday nights i usually wear a casual (not jean) skirt with a collared shirt.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Alyssa wrote:Yay for Joanne, Laura, Lee, and Emma! ;) We totally should start a club Lee. :D And, as you said above Lee about wearing them only for Pajamas...same here! :yes:
Yes. :yes: PJ pants are so comfy. :yes: :thumbsup:

Post by 31899 »

[Disclaimer: this is one of the topics that makes myself sad for Humanity] There is misconception out there for some strange reason that a person must wear "nice clothing" to go to church. This notion is absurd and false. No where is that mentioned in the Bible. "Man looks at outward appearances but God looks at the heart." Now I'm not saying that it is bad to dress up, but any notion that one must dress up for church because "God wants them to" or any variation of that is false. [/my opinion, please don't organize a stoning]

I dress up like I do everyday.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

31899 wrote:[Disclaimer: this is one of the topics that makes myself sad for Humanity] There is misconception out there for some strange reason that a person must wear "nice clothing" to go to church. This notion is absurd and false. No where is that mentioned in the Bible. "Man looks at outward appearances but God looks at the heart." Now I'm not saying that it is bad to dress up, but any notion that one must dress up for church because "God wants them to" or any variation of that is false. [/my opinion, please don't organize a stoning]

31899, I'm not organizing a stoning. Let me just say that first. ;)

I'm not trying to criticize you at all or anything, but there are things called extrabiblical standards. One person may believe that in order to honor God and worship Him, that person should dress up. One person may believe that he doesn't have to dress up so nicely to worship and honor God.

Get it?

So basically, all I'm trying to say is this: Don't think someone is wrong in not dressing up or anything for church. \:D/ Extra-biblical standards. \:D/

Last edited by Whitty Whit on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Whitty Whit wrote:
31899 wrote:[Disclaimer: this is one of the topics that makes myself sad for Humanity] There is misconception out there for some strange reason that a person must wear "nice clothing" to go to church. This notion is absurd and false. No where is that mentioned in the Bible. "Man looks at outward appearances but God looks at the heart." Now I'm not saying that it is bad to dress up, but any notion that one must dress up for church because "God wants them to" or any variation of that is false. [/my opinion, please don't organize a stoning]

I'm not trying to criticize you at all or anything, but there are things called extrabiblical standards. One person may believe that in order to honor God and worship Him, that person should dress up. One person may believe that he doesn't have to dress up so nicely to worship and honor God.

Get it?

So basically, all I'm trying to say is this: Don't think someone is wrong in not dressing up or anything for church. \:D/ Extra-biblical standards. \:D/

I THINK I'm generally just confirming what you are saying, Whitty Whit, but thought I'd add some scripture here...

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living....

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself...

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

~Romans 14--read the whole chapter if you like, but I was trying to shorten it so my post wouldn't be ridiculously long!
But basically (not trying to preach a sermon) it's not about human standards, and no one is really right or wrong in this. Whatever you do in faith, for God, is what is pleasing to Him. Do what you have decided between you and God, and you are being faithful to him, despite what others say. =D>
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:

Get it?

I THINK I'm generally just confirming what you are saying, Whitty Whit, but thought I'd add some scripture here...

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living....

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself...

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

~Romans 14--read the whole chapter if you like, but I was trying to shorten it so my post wouldn't be ridiculously long!
But basically (not trying to preach a sermon) it's not about human standards, and no one is really right or wrong in this. Whatever you do in faith, for God, is what is pleasing to Him. Do what you have decided between you and God, and you are being faithful to him, despite what others say. =D>

Basically, that's what I'm trying to say! \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I hope I don't start a riot, but here are my thoughts on the subject:

You do NOT have to dress up for church. All God cares about is if you come. However, I do have a problem with people wearing their rattiest old sweatpants to church. Church is the house of the Lord, and we should treat it respectfully. Would you wear your oldest jeans with paint splatters and holes in them to a funeral or a wedding, or to meet someone important? Of course not. You would clean up a bit. Isn't going to worship God WAY more important than any of those? And isn't meeting with God even more special then meeting with say, the president? Yes, it is. So basically, if you wouldn't wear what you wear to church anywhere else special, then I don't believe you should wear it to meet with God.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't at ALL believe that God will reject you if you don't dress up, or that you're not a true Christian or anything like that. I simply believe that we show respect to God, the King of kings, if we refrain from dressing in our worst clothing.

Post by 31899 »

Theoretically every act should be an act of worship.

I think what I was truing to say war mis-worded or mis-interpreted. I was trying to say that it is not a biblical obligation but a choice one can make and shouldn't feel the need to make other people dress like they do for church. If what I just said makes any sense.

StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Dressing up for church is not required.
But we as Christians have to represent ourselves, our family, and our God. We represent it by the way we act and the way we dress and the way we talk. Dress inappropriately and people will think that your family is horrible, and the Christianity you claim to believe in isn't that great. So I say dressing up is important. Besides, it doesn't hurt to dress nice for church. Just like you would dress up to go out to eat in a fancy resteraunt (that I can't spell \:D/)
~Forever at her Savior's side.~