Where's my tie? Where's my hose?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Not theoretically. 1 Corinthians 10:31. *cough* But that's irrelevent.

EDIT: Gr, Strong. You interrupted me. :noway:
Last edited by Termite on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

You're welcome \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Trixie Belden wrote:I hope I don't start a riot, but here are my thoughts on the subject:

You do NOT have to dress up for church. All God cares about is if you come. However, I do have a problem with people wearing their rattiest old sweatpants to church. Church is the house of the Lord, and we should treat it respectfully. Would you wear your oldest jeans with paint splatters and holes in them to a funeral or a wedding, or to meet someone important? Of course not. You would clean up a bit. Isn't going to worship God WAY more important than any of those? And isn't meeting with God even more special then meeting with say, the president? Yes, it is. So basically, if you wouldn't wear what you wear to church anywhere else special, then I don't believe you should wear it to meet with God.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't at ALL believe that God will reject you if you don't dress up, or that you're not a true Christian or anything like that. I simply believe that we show respect to God, the King of kings, if we refrain from dressing in our worst clothing.
I DO see your point here, though me, being me, doesn't care for dressing up, and really wouldn't care to dress up much to see the president or going to a wedding, etc...the ONLY reason I do is because I know I'd probably be kicked out or at least very disapproved of if I didn't. But this is for HUMAN approval (societal norms) that I do this, not for God's...because really...shouldn't we be meeting with God every day? Whether in our PJs before bed, or going about our daily lives--including painting and doing messy things? Granted, church is a time set apart to worship God with others, so it may be a little more...focused...and therefore call for better clothes, but I see it as respectful clothes--simply not our worst stuff (so I agree about the no ratty old sweatpants). So I would say whatever helps you feel most like you are worshipping God. Personally, if I go fancy, I find myself getting distracted from church with multiple thoughts, for example "I can't wait to get home so I can change" or "hope everybody thinks I look ok"--thoughts that are NOT condusive to the point of church. Hence why, for me, I think it is best to go neat, but still comfortable. And it REALLY annoys me when I hear discussions beginning to drift toward fashion and looks in church. If you're setting aside this time to focus on God, why are we focusing on what everyone else is wearing? Not saying everyone does this that dresses up AT ALL...just saying it can be a danger to watch out for.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

Lol. This is my point abut how Everything on this forum turns into a big debate. For me, I wear a button down shirt and cargo pants.
~Mark Prescott~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Mark Prescott wrote:Lol. This is my point abut how Everything on this forum turns into a big debate. For me, I wear a button down shirt and cargo pants.
LOL...but a little debate can be interesting and thought-provoking! Otherwise we may sit and go "uh-huh, yeah. Yup, I agree. Yup. Ok."
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

I like dressing up, and almost every one at my church dresses up, so I wear a skirt or a dress to church.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I've been to a number of churches over the years, all with different dress codes. As a general rule, however, I try to avoid looking like a slob when I go to church. Sometimes I even pull out my little-worn white hoodie. \:D/ (It's lacy, light weight, and clean, so it works.)
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:I've been to a number of churches over the years, all with different dress codes. As a general rule, however, I try to avoid looking like a slob when I go to church. Sometimes I even pull out my little-worn white hoodie. \:D/ (It's lacy, light weight, and clean, so it works.)
A white, lacy hoodie? I can't picture this...

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

It's probably got lace trimmings around the waist, wrists, etc... and she may not mean a pullover. :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Termite wrote:It's probably got lace trimmings around the waist, wrists, etc... and she may not mean a pullover. :-k
lol, yeah, all i can picture is a baggy white sweatshirt with a hood...that somehow has lace on it...lol. \:D/

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

:lol: It's a zip-up. It has a lacy lining, so you can see it in the hood and stuff. Basically, I wouldn't be caught dead in it elsewhere, but it works in semi-formal settings. \:D/
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Dude, if it was black I'd be jealous.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

If it was black I'd wear it more often. :-
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

All my clothing is dark and usually green or blue. At camp one time they told me to wear red or white and I didn't have either. I think it is really comedic when you go to a different church for one reason or another and people look at you funny for somehow violating their dress code.

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

31899 wrote:All my clothing is dark and usually green or blue. At camp one time they told me to wear red or white and I didn't have either. I think it is really comedic when you go to a different church for one reason or another and people look at you funny for somehow violating their dress code.

Sounds similar to me...dark colors, and a lot of blue and some green in my wardrobe...I got a couple of Red Wings shirts, but that's about it for any red or white in my clothes!

And with the violating of dress codes...I SO did that about a year ago...I tried out this church on a Sunday evening. My home church and most other churches i've attended has casual Sunday evening dress...not so much at this one...people were still at the high end of formal church wear and I was there in cargo pants and a t-shirt. Needless to say, I got many questions on if I was a visitor...to top it off, the night I came ended up being a kids' performance type night, so it wasn't even a regular sermon or anything! Oops...Crazy stuff...anyone else have any random out-of-place church stories?