Giving To A Cause?

Would you give money to a person for their church ministry?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Mimi
Animatronic

Giving To A Cause?

Post by Mimi »

A girl came to me at school today asking me to donate money for a ministry her church was doing. She said it was an event "to get the kids more involved" with the church (which was Baptist). She also said that they would give the gospel at the event. A donation of 1-20 dollars would be acceptable.
So, I'm wondering would would you guys do and/or what you think I should have done, and why?
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Well, I would definitely find out more details about this "event." :yes:
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I might try and ask around the church and see if you can donate directly to someone there if there is an event.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I would have given 5 dollars, because you can't get very far on that if it's a bad event.
he/him | a little stinker.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

SoccerLOTR wrote:I might try and ask around the church and see if you can donate directly to someone there if there is an event.
The girl was from the church. And it seemed to be a legitimate event.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

oh...in that case...depends on how much money you have to give then, lol. As long as i trust the person and the church, i'm ok with giving...usually i make sure the event is something good too.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I would have no money so I wouldn't be able to do anything \:D/

Honestly, I say do what God tells you to do. If He wants you to give, then give. If not, then don't do it.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Like SnC said, ask God. Learn more about this activity. :yes:

Me? I'm a scrooge with the little money I have. :lol: I wouldn't give, but if I did have some, I would give maybe $5. :shrugs: Providing it is a reputable cause. ;)
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

I think what that church really needs is to get the adults more involved. And when I say that, I mean more involved with the young people. They are the ones who should be investing in the lives of the youth of their own church, and by this I don't just mean monetarily. I don't see why anyone should have to solicit funds from the outside at all. So I probably would have said no for the reason that if I were to give, I could actually be robbing from the blessing that would result from that church working together as members of its own local body.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I would give if it is legitimate :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

There are more good causes than any one person can give to. If it's for a small amount, I don't mind donating to a variety of causes, but for my larger donations, I try to focus on things that I think God wants me to contribute to. God might ask you to give to one worthy organization and ask somebody else to give to another worthy organization. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people understand that you can't give to everybody who asks. :)