PHC - Questions Answered

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

PHC - Questions Answered

Post by odysseyfan1 »

OK, I just found that there was a big discussion about our denomination, (PHC) back in July. It seems that there were a lot of questions about why we do what we do, so I thought I'd just write them here, in case anybody is confused about us:

Jewelry: 1st Timothy 2:9 says "likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire," (ESV) Now it could be argued that the writer was saying not to do this in Church, but God isn't concerned about the outside, but the inside. He wants us to think more about him, than our appearance. And we don't see any need, whatsoever, to wear jewelry.

Hair: The Bible tells us very plainly that men should have short hair, and women should have long. "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." (Our women do not wear prayer caps, or coverings, like the Amish, because this verse tells us that their hair is their covering)

TV: Psalms 101:3 says "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." You can not control what comes across the TV, but you can get very strong filters for the internet. It's not the concept of the TV that's wrong, but the programming.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to hear them, and I'll try my best to answer them.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

What is PHC?
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Pilgrim Holiness Church. You can read the article I was talking about in the Church of Odyssey.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

If a stranger were to ask what religion you are part of, would you say "Pilgrim Holiness" or simply "Christian"?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Out of curiosity...from the verse you mentioned in Timothy, as well as your next paragraph...
Women should have long hair. Women should not adorn themselves...with braided hair...
So can women not braid their hair at all? If so, are they required to wear it a certain way, or just simply not braided?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

@ American Eagle: Probably both, but I would explain that PHC is our denomination.
@ SoccerLOTR: I don't think that we have a rule about braided hair. Our women usually wear their hair in a bun, but not always.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

odysseyfan1 wrote: TV: Psalms 101:3 says "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." You can not control what comes across the TV, but you can get very strong filters for the internet. It's not the concept of the TV that's wrong, but the programming.
What about the various satellite packages that only contain Christian programming? Sky Angel, etc. Or not having any cable or satellite and only receiving a local Christian station? Or even no reception but a DVD player to watch unobjectionable films/television shows?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

No we don't use Sky Angel. They don't have our same convictions, and we just stay away from it because it's a form of TV. I have no desire to watch TV anyway, so... We do have a TV monitor, that we play our Wii on, and watch DVD's, but I don't know if it can even get TV reception. I heard that everybody switched to digital or something. :)
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

Do members of PHC wear wedding rings? or is it no jewelry at all?
I'm not trying to be difficult or anything just wondering! :)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

What's your opinion on how women should dress?
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Interesting.

Do you believe watching movies that include violence (eg, epic battles, such as were found in the Bible) is evil?
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Do you believe in speaking in tongues? What does your denomination think about Israel?
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Mimi wrote:Do members of PHC wear wedding rings? or is it no jewelry at all?
I'm not trying to be difficult or anything just wondering! :)
It's okay, you're not being difficult. O:) No, we don't wear any jewelry at all.

-- 24 Feb 2011 02:15 pm --
StrongNChrist wrote:What's your opinion on how women should dress?
Well, modestly of course, but the Holiness women wear dresses, and don't have their hair cut or trimmed. :)

-- 24 Feb 2011 02:18 pm --
ric wrote:Interesting.

Do you believe watching movies that include violence (eg, epic battles, such as were found in the Bible) is evil?
Um, it depends on the movie I guess. If it's a Bible movie, then no, we would probably watch it (maybe not my younger brothers), but if it's not a Bible movie, and if it has a lot of intense violence, then probably not.

-- 24 Feb 2011 02:21 pm --
Sapphire wrote:Do you believe in speaking in tongues? What does your denomination think about Israel?
No, we don't believe in speaking in tongues. Do you? What do you mean about Israel?
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

So you guys aren't against women wearing pants?

And even though the question wasn't directed towards me, I do believe in speaking in tongues.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Sapphire wrote:Do you believe in speaking in tongues? What does your denomination think about Israel?
No, we don't believe in speaking in tongues. Do you? What do you mean about Israel?
Yes, I believe in speaking in tongues, but I respect your beliefs. Sorry I didn't make the second question very clear. I mean do you believe that Israel is still God's chosen people?
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

What do you think is the most important element of Christian living? (prayer, reading the Bible, evangelism, etc.)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

StrongNChrist wrote:So you guys aren't against women wearing pants?

And even though the question wasn't directed towards me, I do believe in speaking in tongues.
Yes, we don't think women should wear shorts or pants (no shorts for men either) but of course we don't think people are sinners or going to hell because they do. The holy spirit can convict people as he sees fit.

-- 24 Feb 2011 08:11 pm --
Sapphire wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
Yes, I believe in speaking in tongues, but I respect your beliefs. Sorry I didn't make the second question very clear. I mean do you believe that Israel is still God's chosen people?
Yes, we do believe that Israel is God's chosen and that they will be fought against in the end times.

-- 24 Feb 2011 08:14 pm --
King Butter Turtle wrote:What do you think is the most important element of Christian living? (prayer, reading the Bible, evangelism, etc.)
I personally believe that prayer and Bible reading are most important, for we must keep our relationship with God strong, if we are to try to win others. What are your thoughts?
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Do you have rules on what color, or styles of clothes you wear? Do you believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father and to heaven? Do you consider all scripture you be inspired by God and completely true with no mistakes? Do you believe in baptizing?
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I don't mean to be difficult or rude when asking these questions, just curious about your denomination

1. Jewelry - Didn't the Israelites wear jewelry?
When the servant went to look for a wife for Isaac, he asked God to let the woman give him and his camals water to drink. When Rebecca did so, he gave her some bracelets & jewelry and told her his reason for coming.

2. Pants - Why is your denomination against wearing short or woman wearing pants?
Repectfully, why can't people wear shorts or woman wear pants?

3. Tribulation - Does your denomintaion believe in the Great Tribulation?
The AntiChirst, the Rapture, and stuff like that
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Do you believe in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas?! \:D/