PHC - Questions Answered

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Anna><> wrote:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:I saw elbows too! :shock: And I don't know how that girl is expected to run close to fast enough in that skirt. Not fair. :shame: I seem to remember Stop Wooton Around saying something in the camp thread that people can have cell phones and talk at night as long as they want...so why can they have phones (technology, outside world, distraction, makes noise, etc) but not books or mp3 players?)
Well one thing to consider is who are dorm dad was (Rob Loper, Odysseyfan1)! We can have cell phones because that way we can contact our parents. And anna remember that there is like 12 year old kids there so I think phones can be allowed.
Why do you need to contact your parents at camp though? If there's an emergency or the kid needs to tell something really important I'm not saying they can't use the camp phone, but kids don't need to talk to their parents the whole time they are at camp.
12 year olds shouldn't even have phones! When I was in grade 4 (so 10 years old) I went to camp for a week without talking to my parents the whole time. It's what makes camp fun. I don't understand what you are proving by saying that there are 12 year olds... Plenty of 12 year olds survived camp without a cell phone, even if they were scared.
:yes: Part of what is nice at camp is that you are completely separated from the rest of the world--including from parents and friends. You make new friends, learn to adjust on your own, and have some time to clear your mind from stuff you usually think about--stuff like technology and "the real world", and talking on the phone regularly or texting people from home brings the real world back to you and decreases your time alone or with camp friends, or even sleep time. What does age have to do with it? Even when I'm on staff at camp and can talk on the phone on break, I rarely do, as I enjoy the time away from home and being able to take my mind off my usual concerns and focuses, directing my focus toward God, nature, and the people at camp with me.
And I'm with Anna...sorry, but I'm on the side of "12 year olds do not need phones". Or if they do, only basic non-text and limited call cell phones in case of absolute emergency. Until one is driving his/her self around, they do not need a phone. My family got a family cell phone when I was 16 or 17 that got rotated around to whomever was out and most likely to have reason to use it. I didn't have my own 'til I was 18 and I did perfectly fine without one through my childhood and most of my teen years. I'm not saying people in their teens with phones are wrong for using them or something, just stating that I don't think it is necessary, and therefore, even less necessary at camp.
I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16 because at that age I was able to drive, and I would be in situations where there was no phone for me to use. I'm fine with 12 year olds having phones for emergencies (without texting plans) but usually a 12 year old should be supervised and not need a phone.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Well, I think it's nice that they don't have a rule against cell phones. I think they do confiscate them, if you play with them during services and stuff.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Really, I was at camp for 2 weeks just recently and nobody had a phone. Not even the little 11 year old kiddos.
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Is “Full length pants for boys” just for the camp, or is that an always rule too?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

bookworm wrote:Is “Full length pants for boys” just for the camp, or is that an always rule too?
That's a PHC belief. So always. :yes:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
bookworm wrote:Is “Full length pants for boys” just for the camp, or is that an always rule too?
That's a PHC belief. So always. :yes:
So, no shorts?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

So, no shorts?
Nope. :)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
So, no shorts?
Nope. :)
Uh... I have a feeling I know why your denomination isn't in Texas. Why on Earth not?!? Lets say you go on a mission trip to Peru to do something. And you are outside in the heat all day. Someone is going to get sunstroke.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

:lol:

Sorry, that was kind of funny. :-
Last edited by Amethystic on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

seems like a good possibility...cause you'd probably be wearing a hat too, to keep the sun off your face...but if you're wearing long sleeves AND pants already, your head is almost all that's left to sweat from...so therefore, you couldn't wear a hat...but then you'd be blinded! hmm...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Steve

Post by Steve »

SoccerLOTR wrote:seems like a good possibility...cause you'd probably be wearing a hat too, to keep the sun off your face...but if you're wearing long sleeves AND pants already, your head is almost all that's left to sweat from...so therefore, you couldn't wear a hat...but then you'd be blinded! hmm...
So that's what people mean when they say religion killed them!
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Do you ever go swimming?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Uh... I have a feeling I know why your denomination isn't in Texas. Why on Earth not?!? Lets say you go on a mission trip to Peru to do something. And you are outside in the heat all day. Someone is going to get sunstroke.
:hilarious: SUNSTROKE?! :rofl2: From not wearing shorts? :lol: I seriously doubt anyone will get sunstroke from wearing long pants. :) There's no verse that says: "Thou shalt not wear shorts." But it's been a long-standing rule. They want to make sure everyone is modest. And if you allow them, them why can't women wear them? And how short can they be? Why wear shorts? I would feel uncomfortable wearing shorts in public. (We wear them sometimes when we go swimming, with other boys btw)

-- 14 Jul 2011 09:32 am --
seems like a good possibility...cause you'd probably be wearing a hat too, to keep the sun off your face...but if you're wearing long sleeves AND pants already, your head is almost all that's left to sweat from...so therefore, you couldn't wear a hat...but then you'd be blinded! hmm...
Who do you think get's hotter than the fully clothed Arabs, and all those people? They live in the middle east! We just live here in the US. :D

-- 14 Jul 2011 09:33 am --
So that's what people mean when they say religion killed them!
We are not killed! :x

-- 14 Jul 2011 09:35 am --
Do you ever go swimming?
Not at public beaches. (At least not when all the immodest people are around) We have a pool though. And we used to go with our friends in their pond (we wore shorts sometimes)
John Chrysostom

Post by John Chrysostom »

Who do you think get's hotter than the fully clothed Arabs, and all those people? They live in the middle east! We just live here in the US.
So you wear robes?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Ayn Rand wrote:
Who do you think get's hotter than the fully clothed Arabs, and all those people? They live in the middle east! We just live here in the US.
So you wear robes?
Of course not. I was making a point. If they can wear all that and not get heatstroke, then I think we'll be fine wearing jeans or sweat pants. ;)
John Chrysostom

Post by John Chrysostom »

Well actually the robes are designed to help with the heat and are much better at it than jeans or sweat pants. But this actually brings up an interesting question; why not robes? Jesus wore robes, why don't you?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Ayn Rand wrote:Well actually the robes are designed to help with the heat and are much better at it than jeans or sweat pants. But this actually brings up an interesting question; why not robes? Jesus wore robes, why don't you?
I don't have a problem with robes. I think it'd be pretty weird if I saw someone wearing one ("Nice robe." "It's a caftan!" Remember that? :D) but I don't think there's anything morally unacceptable about them.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Ayn Rand wrote:
So you wear robes?
Of course not. I was making a point. If they can wear all that and not get heatstroke, then I think we'll be fine wearing jeans or sweat pants. ;)
The Arabs wear all those robes to keep cool, actually, I think. That's what I heard.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Ayn Rand wrote:Well actually the robes are designed to help with the heat and are much better at it than jeans or sweat pants. But this actually brings up an interesting question; why not robes? Jesus wore robes, why don't you?
I don't have a problem with robes. I think it'd be pretty weird if I saw someone wearing one ("Nice robe." "It's a caftan!" Remember that? :D) but I don't think there's anything morally unacceptable about them.
"I've recently returned from the Middle East!"
"Oh. Maryland or Delaware?" :hilarious:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Uh... I have nearly gotten sunstroke in my city. Wearing shorts a t-shirt and a Chicago Cubs baseball cap. It is very likely in jeans and 3/4 shirts to get heat stroke.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.