Book Suggestion and Prayer Request

Seems to fit in multiple categories, so I put it in the general church category here...

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Book Suggestion and Prayer Request

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Does anyone know a book that does a good job at answering questions about God and the Bible (in more of a scholarly way) that is relatively denomination-free? Something that emphasizes the personal relationship with God while being informative?

I work with a guy who grew up with parents who were pastors, but never really found Christ because he had a lot of unanswered questions. He has turned into somewhat of a skeptic now, but is open to talking about his opinions and the like sometimes. I feel like I've been placed at this job working with him for a reason, and have done my best to point him toward God in my explanations and discussions with him, and to share with him my own convictions. However, I feel like he wants some questions answered that I'm just not good at explaining. He is an avid reader and is usually open to reading anything, so I thought I might be able to share a good book with him...I already thought of The Case for Christ book by Lee Strobel, as that one is good, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

And the prayer request just accompanies this situation--that he will come to know God as personal and loving, and Jesus as a friend and savior. He seems to acknowledge that there IS a higher power in the universe, but doesn't know who that is, or if he can agree with narrow-minded Christians and their belief in the Bible that may or may not be accurate. Also I'd appreciate a prayer or two that I can just be able to show him Christ through my actions and attitudes, and if necessary, my words.

Thanks!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

My dad really likes The Reason for God , but I haven't read it yet. Also have you heard of The Way of the Master with Ray Consort and Kirk Cameron? They have a wonderful podcast about theology and how to witness, Ive been listening to it and no I want to witness to everyone! :D I'll be praying for your freind!
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I will be praying, but sorry I don't know too many books at the moment.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Thanks, Joanne, for the book idea, as well as the podcast! I'll have to find that, it sounds good--I could definitely use the advice!
And thank you Parker family, the prayers are appreciated, and even better than the book! :)
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This doesn't exactly meet your description, but I would suggest looking into "Can You Hear Me?" by Brad Jersak. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I've heard good things, and what I have read really does focus on a personal relationship with God. Jersak shares stories where God has communicated (through a word, thought, or picture) to him and to others, and offers advice on hearing God in your own life. It's well organized but still has a personal touch, with a lot of interesting stories and application.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Cool!

Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Hey I just remembered this and wondered how are things going with your freind? I've been praying! :pray:
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Thanks Joanne! Things don't seem to have changed much--after one conversation it seemed he was going to read Matthew cause he was curious about something, but I asked him about it and he was like, "no, don't like reading it, it makes me too depressed"...so I'm still kinda frustrated at how to approach the situation. I appreciate the prayer!

Edit: I had a good conversation with him the other day, though it was still frustrating. He seems to be at the point where he can consider the possibility of being a Christian and didn't deny God or the Bible through wild theories and ideas, which was a nice change. But he fears the idea of "losing who he is" if he fully commits himself to God and changes...and I think even more, fears the idea of losing his wife, since she also has drifted away from her family's faith and might not accept him changing. So I'd like to add a request of prayer for her as well--and that they could come to see God's love and awesomeness together, as well as find a good group of Christians near them to show God's love and true faith in Christ.
Last edited by SoccerLOTR on Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.