Church Burns Bibles, Christian Books, Music

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

montywhittakerIII wrote:That, maybe, is understandable. Some cults do worship crosses with Jesus on them, making that an idol in their lives.
Anything cana be made into idols ;)

Joni Eareckson Tada's story is amazing. If you guys dson't know what it is or much about her, look her up.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

StrongNChrist wrote:Joni Eareckson Tada's story is amazing. If you guys dson't know what it is or much about her, look her up.
Oh man, I read her autobiography...SO sad and hard to read, but she is really an amazing person with an amazing testimony, and God has DEFINITELY used her for good...I don't know how that church could condemn her for anything (aside from, of course, not quoting the KJV).
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

If the Pharissees and Rabbi's - the Jew's "religious" leaders of that time - can condemn Jesus to death then even other "religious" leaders can condemn children of God, I'm sure. ;)

I listened to her once - via tape or something, I can't remember what - give her testimony and it is amazing and astounding. I also read a book she wrote.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Eh, extremist. That is all I have to say. This is what happens to people who aren't open minded and only believes their way is the correct way. Definitely gives us Christians a bad name.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

gunblader3 wrote:Eh, extremist. That is all I have to say. This is what happens to people who aren't open minded and only believes their way is the correct way. Definitely gives us Christians a bad name.
Well, technically as Christians we do believe that our way is the only way. :- But I get what you mean.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

The Bible is clear that all you need is a personal relationship with God (even the KJV Bible!)...all other things are trivial in comparison.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jeremy wrote:On their FAQ page they say the following:
[...] As far as the Gaithers I agree whole heartedly that they are carnal in their music and lifestyle. I will not allow them or others like them to be on our web site or in our church. We don't have them in our hymn books, youth dept., choir, specials, home, etc. You are correct that many "Baptist" Churches do have them in their hymnals and allow their choir to sing their songs or allow their music to be sung by others. I forget what they are off the top of my head but there are a couple of "old hymns" that Bill Gaither wrote that are very Biblical and sound. The problem as you say, they send a mixed message to your congregation, and I agree with you. No matter how good they are we will not use them. Even if I like them. [...]

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... ge216.html
Well, guess what they have on their "Music Downloads" page?! :lol:
...which is written by...the Gaithers!
Wow.
Would that be an 'Epic Fail'?
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

No. It's a 'Very Epic Fail'.

Wierdos. They probably created the term "Holy Joe." Oh, wait, they'd call that blasphemy. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:The Bible is clear that all you need is a personal relationship with God (even the KJV Bible!)...all other things are trivial in comparison.
Do you think that the KJV is the "only" true Bible?

-- 22 Mar 2011 07:14 pm --
bookworm wrote:
Jeremy wrote:On their FAQ page they say the following:
[...] As far as the Gaithers I agree whole heartedly that they are carnal in their music and lifestyle. I will not allow them or others like them to be on our web site or in our church. We don't have them in our hymn books, youth dept., choir, specials, home, etc. You are correct that many "Baptist" Churches do have them in their hymnals and allow their choir to sing their songs or allow their music to be sung by others. I forget what they are off the top of my head but there are a couple of "old hymns" that Bill Gaither wrote that are very Biblical and sound. The problem as you say, they send a mixed message to your congregation, and I agree with you. No matter how good they are we will not use them. Even if I like them. [...]

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv ... ge216.html
Well, guess what they have on their "Music Downloads" page?! :lol:
...which is written by...the Gaithers!
Wow.
Would that be an 'Epic Fail'?
Double wow. Those quotes are quite...unintelligent. They should definitely not be going around and calling Mark Lowry gay when they have no proof. OK, maybe you think the guy look's gay. Personally, I don't think he should look like that, but If you have something against him, talk to him, not go and blast him on the internet. And I certainly don't agree with the Gaither's on much probably, but still. These people really need to quit the name calling, and carnal behaviour.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:The Bible is clear that all you need is a personal relationship with God (even the KJV Bible!)...all other things are trivial in comparison.
Do you think that the KJV is the "only" true Bible?
Lol, you apparently didn't read anything else I wrote in this thread. I very much disagree with this church, and don't personally prefer the KJV or think it is necessarily even the most accurate. If they want accurate, they'd better start learning Greek and Hebrew, not passively accepting the KJV and rejecting all else without objective opinion or knowledge. My statement quoted here is saying that the Bible is clear NO MATTER WHAT version you use, that the personal relationship with God is the most important thing. So even according to the KJV Bible (the only truth), the version you use, the day you worship, the times you take communion, what you wear to church, etc, are all trivial in comparison with our acceptance of Jesus Christ as our savior and Lord, which is the ONLY thing you need to be a Christian. Denominational differences don't make you unchristian like they claim.
odysseyfan1 wrote:Double wow. Those quotes are quite...unintelligent. They should definitely not be going around and calling Mark Lowry gay when they have no proof. OK, maybe you think the guy look's gay. Personally, I don't think he should look like that, but If you have something against him, talk to him, not go and blast him on the internet. And I certainly don't agree with the Gaither's on much probably, but still. These people really need to quit the name calling, and carnal behaviour.
Amen.

StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Isn't this going a bit far? It's been a while since they've done this. It's no longer news. Now it's turning more into gossip and criticism. At least, that's how it seems to me :shrugs:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Well, until they clean up their website, it's news to me. \:D/ I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing a funny website...
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

American Eagle wrote:Well, until they clean up their website, it's news to me. \:D/ I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing a funny website...
well, I would agree with you, except I think some of the comments have gone beyond disscussing and have become more of criticism. I do think that some of the statements have led to a good discussion though.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Yeah, what bold4god said :-
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

AE or some smart person needs to email them and politely ask what in the world they are doing. :yes:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:AE or some smart person needs to email them and politely ask what in the world they are doing. :yes:
Heh, that wouldn't do any good. They would just consider me a heathen rebel. (Unless we were just going to point out the Gaither thing. ;)) I did, however, enjoy taking their "survey". One of the questions is actually, "Do you believe that most of the Gaither's music is Biblical?" Someone should seriously tell them about it. \:D/

Jeremy, because you found the error, I nominate you to tell them about it.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

lol wrote:Do you believe it is okay for women to wear pants
lolwut? I think that's slightly discriminatory?

Better pants than nothing. So put a helmet on.
lol wrote:Do you watch Television?
lol wrote:Do you watch Sex In The City, The Simpsons, Office, or MTV?
Wow.....
lol wrote:Do you believe that it is wrong to NAME heretics like Paul did in I & II Timothy?
lolwut...
lol wrote:Do you believe that the Catholic Church is The Great Whore in the Book of Revelation?
HOW DID THEY FIND THAT OUT!!?!?! NUU! It was a secret!! *headdesk*
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I filled in the survey. :- But I put in a fake email so they can't pester me. I hope I don't sadden them with the fact that I put down rock-alternative as my favorite music genre.

Oh, and @Whitty Whit: Their questions are very biased; their beliefs and attitudes are very apparent through their wording.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Oh yes Amy, I am fully aware of that. That's really funny though... :rofl:

EDIT: wait, i had to pay to edit my posts?? it said, "you received -$0.02 for editing your post."
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Do you believe that it is wrong to NAME heretics like Paul did in I & II Timothy?
Like that one. They're justifying their name-dropping with a biblical reference. Needless to say, I still marked 'no'. ;)