produced church

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

produced church

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I'm not criticizing anyone's kind of church music, I was just interested to know what your thoughts on this video were. :yes:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

well, it was kind of funny!
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

Wow, that...was sad. It does seem like we fall into a routine as a church sometimes, doesn't it? We park in the same place, sit in the same pew, and talk to the same people week after week. The question is, how can we change this. You don't want to be different from everyone just for the sake of being different, but we can't get so far into our routine that we seem cold and inflexible either...
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

:hilarious: That was awesome! But, on the serious side, it did have an important message :yes:
~Mark Prescott~
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Hmm...It was a little bit funny, and though Monty said we get too into the routine, I think that is just kind of how humans are...we seek routine and adjust to routine, and it's not always a bad thing...though if we get too ingrained in the routine, then yes, it can become a bad thing. It needs a balance of new and old, and sadly, sometimes the "production" in some of the "megachurches" can overwhelm the simple people and conversation that make up the church. In my opinion, the most important part of the church is the relationships between the church members and their ability to welcome new people in to the church. Any church that has that, has got it down. But if we get too lost in either the tradition or the showy-ness, it becomes useless. So I don't have anything against large churches like that, but they need to make sure that they don't neglect the personal aspect.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

That video was sadly very true. There are tons of churches out there like that.

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

That was funny. \:D/

And yet... while it DOES seem true to a certain point, don't you think we can be a bit too judgmental towards some churches? Opposing point. Have at it.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Termite wrote:And yet... while it DOES seem true to a certain point, don't you think we can be a bit too judgmental towards some churches? Opposing point. Have at it.
Nobody judged anyone's church...

I've never been to a church like that, but it does remind me of my church. Opening song, greeting, prayer, hand-shaking song, announcements, offering, song, Bible reading, special song, sermon, closing song. It's the exact same every week. Do I approve of this? No, but I'm not exactly in a position to change it. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Even though that video was amusing at times, it really got the message out. A very sad message.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

American Eagle wrote:
Termite wrote:And yet... while it DOES seem true to a certain point, don't you think we can be a bit too judgmental towards some churches? Opposing point. Have at it.

I've never been to a church like that, but it does remind me of my church. Opening song, greeting, prayer, hand-shaking song, announcements, offering, song, Bible reading, special song, sermon, closing song. It's the exact same every week. Do I approve of this? No, but I'm not exactly in a position to change it. ;)
Did I say they did? As I said at the end, I was throwing another side out there... which also can be true, though not necessarily in this situation. =P

Well, I'm sorry for you, then... =P Especially if it annoys you. But can you deny their fervor for God, even if it is more in a routine way?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

I think it's OK to mention things like that once in a while, but I think the truth is that every church will have some degree of things that are more ritual than practical. I'm trying not to get in a habit of critiquing sunday services; Sunday services comprise a very small part of the ministry of the church in the more vast configuration of things.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

We actually watched this in Sunday school today. And our teacher was saying that it's like if you give your spouse the same gift every week on the same day week after week for years. But you don't want to crush up flowers and inject them into her using a needle because that's way out of line.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Well, coming from a church that is horrible at doing the exact same thing each and every week and doesn't have much of a routine....having a routine is actually kind of nice. Helps the service not run 30 minutes to an 1.5 hours late ;)
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Termite wrote:
American Eagle wrote:

Did I say they did? As I said at the end, I was throwing another side out there... which also can be true, though not necessarily in this situation. =P
I never said you did. :P (We could go around and around with this...)
Termite wrote:Well, I'm sorry for you, then... =P Especially if it annoys you. But can you deny their fervor for God, even if it is more in a routine way?
Certainly not. I know people here are serving God. The way it is done simply isn't my style. ;) Oh well.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

LET'S DO IT! \:D/

.....or not. ;)

Well, then again, I'm sorry. Get your liscense. Get a car. Find a new church in a few years after you're eighteen? :shrugs: Nothin' else for ya, unless you can convince your parents that you all would be better elsewhere. :-k
Love you always, SnC
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:Hmm...It was a little bit funny, and though Monty said we get too into the routine, I think that is just kind of how humans are...we seek routine and adjust to routine, and it's not always a bad thing...though if we get too ingrained in the routine, then yes, it can become a bad thing. It needs a balance of new and old, and sadly, sometimes the "production" in some of the "megachurches" can overwhelm the simple people and conversation that make up the church. In my opinion, the most important part of the church is the relationships between the church members and their ability to welcome new people in to the church. Any church that has that, has got it down. But if we get too lost in either the tradition or the showy-ness, it becomes useless. So I don't have anything against large churches like that, but they need to make sure that they don't neglect the personal aspect.
Good point and I agree.

I also believe that a church is doing its job right if it gets the message of the sermon across to the people attending mass. At my church currently, the priest who usually gives the sermon is incredibly old class and sticks strictly to the book. When he gives his homily's, he does it in a incredibly boring fashion that almost all the kids, teens, and young adults in the church were either not paying attention or were sleeping. We used to have it where there was a church time for the younger audience (and yes everyone was welcome to join it) where we had this priest who knows how to preach. He had his way of getting his point across and keeping us awake and taking the today's gospel and implementing it to our daily lives. He would always tackle the most asked questions such as evolution, homosexuality, abortion, etc. Sadly he died out of a heart attack (guessing because he was a big meat lover that would always eat 3 hamburgers after church). So now we're stuck back to the old priest that anyone hardly pays attention to.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

gunblader3 wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:Hmm...It was a little bit funny, and though Monty said we get too into the routine, I think that is just kind of how humans are...we seek routine and adjust to routine, and it's not always a bad thing...though if we get too ingrained in the routine, then yes, it can become a bad thing. It needs a balance of new and old, and sadly, sometimes the "production" in some of the "megachurches" can overwhelm the simple people and conversation that make up the church. In my opinion, the most important part of the church is the relationships between the church members and their ability to welcome new people in to the church. Any church that has that, has got it down. But if we get too lost in either the tradition or the showy-ness, it becomes useless. So I don't have anything against large churches like that, but they need to make sure that they don't neglect the personal aspect.
Good point and I agree.

I also believe that a church is doing its job right if it gets the message of the sermon across to the people attending mass. At my church currently, the priest who usually gives the sermon is incredibly old class and sticks strictly to the book. When he gives his homily's, he does it in a incredibly boring fashion that almost all the kids, teens, and young adults in the church were either not paying attention or were sleeping. We used to have it where there was a church time for the younger audience (and yes everyone was welcome to join it) where we had this priest who knows how to preach. He had his way of getting his point across and keeping us awake and taking the today's gospel and implementing it to our daily lives. He would always tackle the most asked questions such as evolution, homosexuality, abortion, etc. Sadly he died out of a heart attack (guessing because he was a big meat lover that would always eat 3 hamburgers after church). So now we're stuck back to the old priest that anyone hardly pays attention to.
Mm...I love pastors like that, who are interesting, plainly speak truth, talk about relevant issues, and are personal. Seems like we don't get enough of those sometimes...Sometimes it seems that pastors speak mainly to the 50+ group (or sometimes, 70+) and the majority of the message is lost on the younger audience. :noway: But sometimes you find pastors who can talk to a broad audience and still be interesting and relevant, or just go to a service more directed toward younger members of the church. 8-) Have you thought about finding a new place to go?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
gunblader3 wrote:
Good point and I agree.

Mm...I love pastors like that, who are interesting, plainly speak truth, talk about relevant issues, and are personal. Seems like we don't get enough of those sometimes...Sometimes it seems that pastors speak mainly to the 50+ group (or sometimes, 70+) and the majority of the message is lost on the younger audience. :noway: But sometimes you find pastors who can talk to a broad audience and still be interesting and relevant, or just go to a service more directed toward younger members of the church. 8-) Have you thought about finding a new place to go?
How can they speak to the old people and it not be relevant to the young people. Do they talk about dentures, or what?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Josef1004 wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:
gunblader3 wrote:
Good point and I agree.

How can they speak to the old people and it not be relevant to the young people. Do they talk about dentures, or what?
Lol, no...they talk about wisdom to pass on to younger generations, mention being out of touch with the technology of today, the struggles that go along with getting older and how to still be active in the church. They reference things you should do with your teens or young adult kids/grandkids and how to be an example for them, forgetting that the older kids are in the service wondering how to communicate with their elders. The way they phrase things can even make interesting subjects seem like they don't apply to the younger audience, "when we were younger, we felt like this, but now we..." leaving the younger people there thinking "um, no, that's not how we feel, and we don't know how we'll feel 30 years from now..." And sermons about keeping your marriage strong don't seem very applicable to someone who isn't anywhere near being married. And you might say "well, it helps to know what to do once you get to that point in your life"...but really, when you haven't a clue what some of that stuff feels like, you tend to not be able to figure out how it relates to you, and you start to zone out. Not purposefully, but it's difficult to pay attention to that sort of sermon. A sermon directed toward an older audience about "patience" may involve examples of kids getting older, persevering through rocky times in your marriage, waiting for retirement, etc...a sermon directed toward a younger audience about "patience" may involve examples of getting into college, finding a job, persevering through rocky times with parents or in school, waiting for God to send a "significant other" into your life, etc. Jokes about taking your arthritis medicine just don't always cut it with younger audiences.
Granted, some pastors are good at balancing their examples to fit a broad audience...but many pastors don't, and that's when it becomes difficult to relate.

gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

SoccerLOTR wrote: Mm...I love pastors like that, who are interesting, plainly speak truth, talk about relevant issues, and are personal. Seems like we don't get enough of those sometimes...Sometimes it seems that pastors speak mainly to the 50+ group (or sometimes, 70+) and the majority of the message is lost on the younger audience. :noway: But sometimes you find pastors who can talk to a broad audience and still be interesting and relevant, or just go to a service more directed toward younger members of the church. 8-) Have you thought about finding a new place to go?
Well I am right now attending a Catholic youth group that has mass at my college every sunday. Which has a really nice Priest. He makes everyone of us laugh and keeps us entertained, but I think he works to hard at that. Any time he does his "Homily's" he goes to much off topic that it does not have any relations to the gospel he just read to us. I'm guessing I'm a bit to nit picky though. The other people don't mind and he's a great pastor. He's someone you can sit down drink beer with and have a great time. But I think the most important part about Christianity is our faith and relationship with God.
SoccerLOTR wrote: Granted, some pastors are good at balancing their examples to fit a broad audience...but many pastors don't, and that's when it becomes difficult to relate.
That's why I think its best if you keep 2 different audiences from each other by having different church times for them. Of course there was a fuss about about that at my church saying is promotes segregation and all that.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith