The Duggars and Focus On the Family

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I had heard that they were part of a house church, but I thought I also heard it was with a group of members, not just the family. :-k I've read that book too, but don't remember that part. And since our family are house churchers too, I'm all for it! \:D/ With the caveat that there should be a least a few other families for fellowship, differing gifts, and accountability.

And I think the Duggars have shown that it is feasible these days to support a large family - with a lot of hark work. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

StrongNChrist wrote:I don't see anything wrong with house church :shrugs: I have friends who do house church.
I don't generally have a problem with "house churches" but from what I hear (dont' know a lot about the Duggars) if it is just their family, i don't really consider that church. The main point of church is to fellowship and worship with other believers. But if it's just your family...you fellowship with them all the time, and you aren't getting any other views or external thoughts on the subjects, which can be very helpful to grow to be a stronger Christian (iron sharpens iron...) Just your family...that's ok once in a while, but how is it different than just studying the Bible with your family, aside from the fact that it is on a Sunday? It's good to have other people to bring up different thoughts to challenge you.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

iluvsns wrote:Yes.... but with just themselves. We have their book "20 and Counting" that talks about it.
My mom has that book, and that part kind of confused me. So they don't go to church at all?
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
iluvsns wrote:Yes.... but with just themselves. We have their book "20 and Counting" that talks about it.
My mom has that book, and that part kind of confused me. So they don't go to church at all?
Apparently not... Let me see. For those that have the book, home church is mentioned on page 153.

\:D/
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

iluvsns wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
Apparently not... Let me see. For those that have the book, home church is mentioned on page 153.
OK. I don't exactly think that's the best thing to do. They should probably be established in a regular church.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

As far as the church thing goes, I mostly agree that they should go to a church with other people. That's what church is - fellowship with other members of the Body of Christ. Having church without anyone else seems more like family devotions. I actually support home churches and would rather go to one, but this seems different.

However, paparazzi would be a problem. If they went to my church, honestly, I'd rather take pictures with them than go to Sunday school. ;) It's their choice, and who knows; maybe in a few years, once more of their children are married with kids, the three-generation family will be big enough to be an individual church itself. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Does it specifically say they just meet by themselves? Otherwise, assume the best--that they meet with other Christians in a house(s). Church is not limited to a big building; in fact, most of the first Christian churches met in homes. :)
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I have friends who do house church. They and other people who aren't in their family meet at their house every sunday. I see nothing wrong with that. It's still church. Now if it's just their family, yes they should go to a real church, but AE has an excellant point.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I am not at all against church services held in a home. :yes: It's not where you are, but what you're doing that counts. :D And the papparazzi would definitely be a problem for them. :-k And I'm not their judge either. :yes: God knows their hearts.

\:D/
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

At least with that many kids, they can do more than have your average family band.

They can have their own Family Symphony Orchestra! :D
he/him | a little stinker.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

American Eagle wrote:
Josef1004 wrote:I just think it's wrong for a man to have more than one wife.
What does that have to do with... anything. o.O

Brock posted some pictures of the get-together on his blog. How much fun that would've been. \:D/
Just I'm saying as long as there is only one wife, It's all right good to have lots of children. If there were multiple mothers, it would be different.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Josef1004 wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Josef1004 wrote:I just think it's wrong for a man to have more than one wife.
What does that have to do with... anything. o.O

Brock posted some pictures of the get-together on his blog. How much fun that would've been. \:D/
Just I'm saying as long as there is only one wife, It's all right good to have lots of children. If there were multiple mothers, it would be different.
Okay, thanks for explaining. I agree with you.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Maybe the Duggars don't have a church near them that has their same beliefs. And I'm sure they fellowship with many other Christians. Also there are enough members in their family to be a congregation, pastor, song leader,etc.!
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Peachey Keen wrote:Maybe the Duggars don't have a church near them that has their same beliefs. And I'm sure they fellowship with many other Christians. Also there are enough members in their family to be a congregation, pastor, song leader,etc.!
I don't think it's so much about having enough people for the various positions in a church...and I don't think it is necessarily necessary to go to a church with exactly the same beliefs...I'm sure there is a church that comes close--or at least have a few families they know with similar beliefs who could meet with them. The problem with only going to church with your family is A. things we've already discussed like lack of Christian fellowship and worship together, and B. there is no one to keep you accountable. There is no one with an outside perspective to ask about your relationship with God, there is no one with an outside perspective to challenge what is being taught, or even just to challenge you to think beyond your typical family beliefs so you can really grow. I know a lot of my growth comes from times when others challenge my thoughts or when I get discussion with people who aren't necessarily 100% "exactly what i'm thinking". Even new perspectives are good, and in the same family you don't always get different perspectives.
You can have family devotions anytime you want...church is a time for more than that, and therefore, should not be a solitary family.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)