To date, or not to date?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

To date, or not to date?

Post by Joanne »

What is your opinion on dating? Do you date, court, do arranged marriage, or any other practice?

My family does courting, but I just like to call it dating with a purpose. I'm not allowed to date around, or even date until I'm older.

What do you do?

(If this should be somewhere else or if there is already a topic like this mods feel free to lock or move. :D )
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I don't date yet, and, like, no way will I date around. But, really, I think dating is fine. But you should be friends first. Then it's not weird and awkward the whole time.

And, oh yeah, middle schoolers should never date. It's just...stupid. When your curfew is 6 PM, you're not going to be impressing anybody.
he/him | a little stinker.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

My family courts. But I won't be doing that for several years.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

People define "court" and "date" different ways... the more "courtship" rules I have heard of, I generally do not agree with fully, and generally, the definition that those same people ascribe to "dating"... I also disagree with. ;)

Looking at courtship as "Dating with purpose" is basically what I'd, in a nutshell, agree with... but I'd call that dating, not courtship. ;)

Anyway, I never courted and only dated and I think I have ended up perfectly in God's will and have no regrets. \:D/
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

The Top Crusader wrote:People define "court" and "date" different ways... the more "courtship" rules I have heard of, I generally do not agree with fully, and generally, the definition that those same people ascribe to "dating"... I also disagree with. ;)

Looking at courtship as "Dating with purpose" is basically what I'd, in a nutshell, agree with... but I'd call that dating, not courtship. ;)

Anyway, I never courted and only dated and I think I have ended up perfectly in God's will and have no regrets. \:D/
haha Top I know what you mean. Many people define it many ways so sometimes it's better just to say date. I don't think it's sinful to date, and God can defiantly work through it, my family just does it a bit more... I guess strict. ;)
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Joanne wrote:My family does courting
EMBEE wrote:My family courts.
I see it as more of a personal thing than a family thing. I mean, ya, you should respect your family's opinions but, if you meet a guy/girl, are you gonna be like, "well, your family dates and my family courts so, I guess we can't see each other even though we're in love"? :-s Also, since I don't believe you should do either until you're ready to get married (which is probably going to include having graduated from high school, having moved out from your parents and being out on your own), it doesn't matter as much. (again, you should still respect them, of course, but, if you have fundamental differences in viewpoints, you can make your own decisions)

As for weather it should be called 'dating' or 'courting', I think it's really just a word game, for the most part. Sometimes, one person will say that only 'dating' is acceptable and another will say that only 'courting' is acceptable, when they really pretty much agree. Anyway, whatever you want to call it, I think it should look something like this;

*both people are at a point in their life where the only thing keeping them from marriage is the lack of a (potential) spouse*
Dude: "Hey, I like you." :grineyes:
Chick: "Hey, I like you, too." :grineyes:
Dude: Sweet! :shades:
Dude: "So, let's like hang out more and talk and pray about marriage and stuff."
Chick: "That sounds great!" :inlove:
*dude and chick talk on phone* :cellphone:
*dude messes up* :slap2:
*chick forgives him* :flower: :flower: :flower:
Dude: "Will you marry me?" :?:
Chick: "Yes!" :yes:
Dude: :dance:
Pastor: :pope: "You may kiss the bride." :kiss:
Pastor: "I now pronounce you man and wife." :male: :female:
Family/Friends/Congregation: *applauds* =D>
*Everyone goes to celebrate. :blow: There's cake :chef: , dancing \:D/ , and toasts made by poor public speakers. :soapbox: Then, everybody goes home and the couple lives happily ever after. :yay: *

Note the lack of mini-golf dates, pre-marital sex and divorce. If everyone would just do it my way, life would be so much awesome-er! \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

haha KBT that was great. \:D/

I agree dating/courting is vague. I know some might think if you are in love you should date no matter what your family says, but I also think you should honor your parents authority and God will bless that. Not that that is the rule to all circumstances, but I would rather take things slowly than rush into it because I'm "in love", dishonor my parents and then have it not work out...
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

The Top Crusader wrote:People define "court" and "date" different ways... the more "courtship" rules I have heard of, I generally do not agree with fully, and generally, the definition that those same people ascribe to "dating"... I also disagree with. ;)

I agree...you can't judge by the mere word that is used. There are different definitions to both courting and dating, and some of the definitions are basically the same. Middle schoolers dating is ridiculous and I hate that that's happening now (seriously, what ever happened to just enjoying the time of being that age and having FRIENDS and not crazy emotional drama?)...You should wait until you're ready to seriously consider getting married before you get into a relationship. :- Until then, enjoy your friendships!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

So I guess what I am asking is what do YOU do. Not a debate on what to call it, just wondering what the views of fellow ToOers are on this subject. ;)
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

well, for a simple answer..."date selectively with a purpose".
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

My wife doesn't let me date anymore. :(
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

The Top Crusader wrote:My wife doesn't let me date anymore. :(
haha I'm sorry Top. That must be a real burden for you. :(

;)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
I see it as more of a personal thing than a family thing. I mean, ya, you should respect your family's opinions but, if you meet a guy/girl, are you gonna be like, "well, your family dates and my family courts so, I guess we can't see each other even though we're in love"? :-s Also, since I don't believe you should do either until you're ready to get married (which is probably going to include having graduated from high school, having moved out from your parents and being out on your own), it doesn't matter as much. (again, you should still respect them, of course, but, if you have fundamental differences in viewpoints, you can make your own decisions)

As for weather it should be called 'dating' or 'courting', I think it's really just a word game, for the most part. Sometimes, one person will say that only 'dating' is acceptable and another will say that only 'courting' is acceptable, when they really pretty much agree. Anyway, whatever you want to call it, I think it should look something like this;

*both people are at a point in their life where the only thing keeping them from marriage is the lack of a (potential) spouse*
Dude: "So, let's like hang out more and talk and pray about marriage and stuff."
*Everyone goes to celebrate. :blow: There's cake :chef: , dancing \:D/ , and toasts made by poor public speakers. :soapbox: Then, everybody goes home and the couple lives happily ever after. :yay: *

Note the lack of mini-golf dates, pre-marital sex and divorce. If everyone would just do it my way, life would be so much awesome-er! \:D/
Totally awesome. \:D/

My definition of courting (I guess we date... my parents dated anyway.) is you don't even see the person (as in going out with them) until you're sure you could provide for her in the event you'd get married. Then again... I might be way off the wall about that.

\:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

The Top Crusader wrote:My wife doesn't let me date anymore. :(
Lol, how tragic! :lol:

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Pastor: :pope: "You may kiss the bride." :kiss:
Isn't it usually the other way around?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

King Butter Turtle wrote:

Well, don't forget that they have a bunch of little bouncing, smiley-faced babies:
:bounce:
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

But ANYWAY back on topic, while the definition can vary, I disagree with a lot of "Courtship Rules" I have heard because they are overly intrusive. Such as the family decides a couple will court without much input from the couple, a family member from one (or both!) members of the couple must be present with them at ALL TIMES, etc... Thus this is why by default I advocate dating. \:D/ Dating can be done wrong but it doesn't have arbitrary rules like courting does and is open to a godly interpretation.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Who needs dating when you have Facebook stalking? :inlove:
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Personally, I believe that you should become friends with someone first. When you realize that you have become more than friends, pray about it and talk to each other. I would also seek advice from godly people. If you feel like it is God's will for you to be together, then I would start to date. That is my personal opinion, but I respect the opinions of others.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

My family believes in a sort of courtship i guess.
I'm not gonna see anyone 'til I'm considering marriage. And then a parent will probably pray about someone and introduce me. Then I'd see them with someone else around. Theoretically. :)