To date, or not to date?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

DanP740 wrote:
Termite wrote:making out
Yet another thing that I have never heard defined...
French kissing? :-
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Courtesy of wikipedia.. ;)
It typically involves kissing,[4] including prolonged, passionate, open-mouth kissing (also known as French kissing), intimate contact...
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

GET THIS OUT OF MY CHURCH!!!!! :x :noway:

But, okay... I don't feel like going back and quoting anyone right now, but people basically said what I expected them to say about why another family member must ALWAYS be present at all times when a couple is together... to resist temptation of making out or being thrown overboard a sea vessel. ;)

So, really... you don't think people can be out on their own without instantly making out?! Even if they are "alone" in a public place? I mean, yes, I have seen random people making out in public but really its somewhat rare, most people don't want to subjugate everyone around them to that. ;)

My point, as has come up before is... if a couple is not mature enough that they CAN'T be left alone without sinning... then they should in no way be dating or courting or sailing the sea. If their family can't trust them to behave themselves, and if they can't trust THEMSELVES... then... yeah. Go back to your room for praying and Bible reading and leave relationships to the pros. ;)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Steve wrote:Watch too much iCarly, then you'll figure it out. Not that I have, but one of my friends has.
...? :-s I don't remember any excessive kissing on iCarly.
Last edited by Amethystic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Amethystic wrote:
Steve wrote:Watch too much iCarly, then you'll figure it out. Not that I have, but one of my friends has.
You apparently haven't watched the episodes my friend has. He hates the show but watches it anyway. :roll:
he/him | a little stinker.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Steve wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
You apparently haven't watched the episodes my friend has. He hates the show but watches it anyway. :roll:
But I've watched, like, all the episodes. (I know, I know; it's stupid but addictive.)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Amethystic wrote:
Steve wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
But I've watched, like, all the episodes. (I know, I know; it's stupid but addictive.)
Well, maybe. He suffers from chronic overexageration.
he/him | a little stinker.
John Chrysostom

Post by John Chrysostom »

I have two questions for the pro-courtship group. You assume that active, responsible, and present parents are always available to people who are of dating age. What should someone do whose parents are either uninvolved, irresponsible, or not present in their lives? Also what should someone do when they are older, post-college for example, maybe living away from their parents, do they still need parent involvement and never be alone with a person they're interested in?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

If they haven't been trained to have self-control, they probably shouldn't be going away to college in the first place.
John Chrysostom

And if their parents were not fit to teach them? Or if they had absent parents? And are you equating lack of self control with being alone with someone you are interested in?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

If their parents were not fit to teach them, I would hope they had some sort of spiritual mentor.

I'm saying that the problem with being alone with someone is that sometimes you are tempted to 'go overboard', as it were, and that would demonstrate lack of self-control.

I think dating is fine if you have proven your integrity and self-control.
John Chrysostom

I can see where you're coming from and one always hopes for the best but we are rarely given that.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

We all have a sin nature and no matter how "mature" we think we are we always have the ability to sin. My sisters had chaperons (sp?) on there first dates and my dad talked to the guys before they went out. After that though they could be on there own because they where mature enough. That's not to say if you do it this way it will work out, but I think your better safe than sorry. ;)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I think the common sense here is to not go out on a date until you're mature enough to handle yourself properly...
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Termite wrote:I think the common sense here is to not go out on a date until you're mature enough to handle yourself properly...
Exactly. ;) My point was we are never above sin. Although we can fight against temptation, we aren't perfect.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Joanne wrote:
Termite wrote:I think the common sense here is to not go out on a date until you're mature enough to handle yourself properly...
Exactly. ;) My point was we are never above sin. Although we can fight against temptation, we aren't perfect.
Yes, and my point was that it's up to the parent or guardian to decide whether you are mature enough.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

...When you're a teenager, right? =P Cause my dad will certainly be staying out of my hair when I decide I feel God is leading me to date someone. He's not having a say in my personal life like that; he doesn't even know me well enough to make a good enough judgment on a guy... ;)
Last edited by Termite on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

sheesh, if your parents have to decide when and who you should date, then you're clearly not independent or responsible enough to date anyways. :noway:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

:-
Termite wrote:...When you're a teenager, right? =P Cause my dad will certainly be staying out of my hair when I decide I feel God is leading me to date someone. He's not having a say in my personal life like that; he doesn't even know me well enough to make a good enough judgment on a guy... ;)
Yes, when you're a teenager.
Jelly wrote:sheesh, if your parents have to decide when and who you should date, then you're clearly not independent or responsible enough to date anyways. :noway:
Yes.

All I'm saying is that it's the parent's job to make sure you become mature enough to date.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well yeah, IMO no one should date until they are adults so therefore their parents shouldn't be making such decisions for them. ;)