Death: Touchy Subject

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Bren
Be positive!

Death: Touchy Subject

Post by Bren »

Some people think that when you die, your soul goes to heaven. How does that fit with "the dead in Christ shall rise first?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Oh no.. Not a topic I should get in to. But I just finished reading, "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn, and my opinion is:

When you die, you always will exist somewhere. Since the soul is undying, there can't be a period in between death and Heaven where you don't exist consciously. I believe there is a sort of "Intermediate Heaven" between death and the second coming. Likewise, there is an "Intermediate Hell" as well. I do not know exactly what it is, but we can't have bodies there, or if we do, they are the ones we have now, since it's clear we will all receive new bodies when Jesus returns. I know it's a weird thought, but it's the one that makes the most sense to me at the moment. And if I disagree with some of you, that's fine. It's not an issue really worth arguing about. If you're a believer, you will one day live with Jesus in Heaven. If not, you'll spend all eternity in Hell.

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, its not something I've researched a lot unfortunately, but I think I agree with iluvsns. The Bible is clear in making a distinction to where unsaved souls are... the final Lake of Fire isn't until AFTER the judgment which occurs after Satan is a jerk and such. So there is clearly a "Hell Waiting Room." I don't think the Bible is clear on the same for Heaven, but its fair to assume there is something similar. Sort of like Abraham's Bosom in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus--a sort of Paradise before the actual heaven.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I can't even say... I recommend (one again) Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die. That's got about everything you need to know in it.
he/him | a little stinker.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Heaven has everything in it too. Read that also! :D It really has changed how I view life.

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah, its not something I've researched a lot unfortunately, but I think I agree with iluvsns. The Bible is clear in making a distinction to where unsaved souls are... the final Lake of Fire isn't until AFTER the judgment which occurs after Satan is a jerk and such. So there is clearly a "Hell Waiting Room." I don't think the Bible is clear on the same for Heaven, but its fair to assume there is something similar. Sort of like Abraham's Bosom in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus--a sort of Paradise before the actual heaven.
Yeah, it's kind of a weird topic...I'm not catholic and I don't believe in purgatory, but here is kind of where you see them getting the idea of it...there must be someplace that people go in between times...or so it seems...so either A. as soon as they die, they are within God's version of time, where time does not exist and therefore they are immediately judged and placed...or there is a "waiting room" of some form...as Jesus told the thief on the cross next to Him, "today you will be with me in paradise". He doesn't say heaven--just paradise. Are those the same? Hmm...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah, its not something I've researched a lot unfortunately, but I think I agree with iluvsns. The Bible is clear in making a distinction to where unsaved souls are... the final Lake of Fire isn't until AFTER the judgment which occurs after Satan is a jerk and such. So there is clearly a "Hell Waiting Room." I don't think the Bible is clear on the same for Heaven, but its fair to assume there is something similar. Sort of like Abraham's Bosom in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus--a sort of Paradise before the actual heaven.
Yeah, it's kind of a weird topic...I'm not catholic and I don't believe in purgatory, but here is kind of where you see them getting the idea of it...there must be someplace that people go in between times...or so it seems...so either A. as soon as they die, they are within God's version of time, where time does not exist and therefore they are immediately judged and placed...or there is a "waiting room" of some form...as Jesus told the thief on the cross next to Him, "today you will be with me in paradise". He doesn't say heaven--just paradise. Are those the same? Hmm...
I don't know. In fact, I'm not sure that the Bible even uses the word "heaven" to refer to what we think of as heaven.
But anyway, I don't think that death should be a touchy subject at all. Most people have died, you know. And I believe there are now more people who have died than those who are yet to be born.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Josef1004 wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:
I don't know. In fact, I'm not sure that the Bible even uses the word "heaven" to refer to what we think of as heaven.
But anyway, I don't think that death should be a touchy subject at all. Most people have died, you know. And I believe there are now more people who have died than those who are yet to be born.
Well, I think right now death is more of a touchy subject than usual...
But yeah...the Bible says that a new earth will be created, so technically, after the judgment, we won't be living in heaven...it will be earth as was originally intended to be...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
The author of the book I read believes paradise to be like the garden of Eden or the garden of Eden itself. Because the literal translation is "garden".

And about the New Earth, once we all live there, we'll be able to easily go from Heaven to Earth because that barrier will be taken down forever. I can't wait. :bounce: