"Farewell Rob Bell"

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

"Farewell Rob Bell"

Post by Over the Rainbow »

In his new book, 'Love Wins', Rob Bell claims God's love will win out in the end and no one will go to Hell.

This saddens me because I did like his previous teachings. We used to listen to him at home and at church. Since he came forward as a universalist, he's been banned from both places. In light of this, John Piper recently tweeted, "Farewell, Rob Bell..."

So, are you guys familar with Bell and his latest controversary?
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

A friend of mine just recently brought this up I had no idea the extent to which he was speaking. It's very sad because he was in such a great position to do so much good for the world...and people could listen to and relate to the messages in his videos...and now he's teaching the wrong things :( My friend said he went to a service preached by Rob Bell once and didn't think it was amazing...but the videos were great.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I briefly looked into Rob Bell years ago after hearing good things but it didn't take long to realize even back then that his theology was not sound. ;)
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Ya, he's been controversial for a while. This is just kind of the straw on the camel's back for some people, I think.

He's definitely not a universalist. People just want a very rigid, yes or no answer out of him as to weather or not everyone will go to heaven, which he doesn't really ever give.

If you ask me, this is bad journalism but, nobody asked me. ;)

Anyway, one of my absolute heros really likes him and is already recommending this new book. (He's not really a pastor but, he's working on his own book and goes around and speaks in churches and stuff so, he's got sort of a realm of influence) It's all sort of wishy-woshy if you ask me. Based on the promotional video, he's not really saying... well, anything. So, I don't really know what to think. I mean I really respect this guy (the one I mentioned before)'s opinion but, it does seem kind of... fuzzy.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Helovesus
Green is good

Post by Helovesus »

Rob bell... I used to be really excited to watch nooma.... now, i don't think we should listen to him, my cousin is reading his book, and said there are many good points.. but there are also some points where you like :shame: #-o =; so yeah... i think we can all be praying for him. :pray:
Chinese food is God's gift to mankind. He knew we'd live in a hurting world, so He gave us something to console ourselves with.

SnC.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

During the question about Japan, I was ready to just scream 'NEITHER OF THOSE!!!" :-
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

King Butter Turtle wrote:If you ask me, this is bad journalism but, nobody asked me. ;)
Hahaha, wow. That was great! Bashir absolutely nailed him with straight questions, but Bell never gave a solid answer. Sure it was bad journalism, but I liked it. \:D/

And no, I won't be buying his book anytime soon. :-
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I could never figure out what in the world he was ever talking about in his videos. Half of the Nooma ones don't even make sense. (The worst one is titled "Dust.")
he/him | a little stinker.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Totally agree. I knew from my pastor that he was on the steady verge of heresy when Velvet Elvis came out--years before Love Wins. He hinted at universalism then, and now he's nearly coming out and saying it, while still saying that he's not one. He just says that he's not to keep away from people who will use that quote against him from then on, but his book nearly clearly shows his true beliefs at the core. He mostly just asks a bunch of questions like, "Do we really know people will go to hell?", "Would a loving God really allow eternal bondage?", and "Is Jesus really the only way? Can't people follow Him through their own idea of who he is?" It's all a big mess! And it's going to draw a line between the true Christians and the wishy-washy ones who just want to be tolerant.

"Is it not those inside the church you are to judge?"--the Apostle Paul
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I watched that video, and I’m pretty incredulous. If Mr. Bell is as idiotic as he seemed in that interview I don’t see how anyone can follow him. He didn’t give a single straight answer, and he contradicted himself multiple times. ](*,)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's a video that explains everything greatly:

Okay, I don't know what the problem is. Go here to see the video:

Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the YouTube tags for you. -Laura Ingalls