Exorcism

No, seriously.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

The bottom line is it is broken through Christ's death on the cross, not through us engaging evil spiritual forces; Jesus already thrashed them at Calvary.

As to all the so-called modern Acts-style miracles that are happening today--while I hate to burst anyone's bubble just for bursting's sake, for the truth's sake I have to say that most of it is something called sensationalism, people presenting something unusual and exciting in order to attract a following. When the Scriptures talk about different spiritual gifts and ministries (Evangelists, pastors and teachers, etc.), you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I utterly fail to see any mention of "spiritual warfare ministers" or "exorcists".
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Josef1004 wrote:The bottom line is it is broken through Christ's death on the cross, not through us engaging evil spiritual forces; Jesus already thrashed them at Calvary.
It's true that Jesus made the provision so we could have spiritual freedom, but it's not that simple. And you missed what I said before--what about the Christians with bad habits, attitudes, and addictions?
Josef1004 wrote:As to all the so-called modern Acts-style miracles that are happening today--while I hate to burst anyone's bubble just for bursting's sake, for the truth's sake I have to say that most of it is something called sensationalism, people presenting something unusual and exciting in order to attract a following.
Though there are a lot of counterfeit miracles out there, I have to disagree with the insinuation that real miracles are seldom happening. Not only have I heard many, many stories from reliable sources about dramatic miracles taking place, but I also know people personally who have received miraculous healing and spiritual/emotional improvement based on this ministry.
Josef1004 wrote:When the Scriptures talk about different spiritual gifts and ministries (Evangelists, pastors and teachers, etc.), you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I utterly fail to see any mention of "spiritual warfare ministers" or "exorcists".
Well, there are several verses that support the casting out of demons, and I took the liberty of looking up this list of them on the internet:
The Bible wrote: 1. And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved, but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe. In my name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues, they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover.” (Mark 16:15-18)

2. “Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee … the Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor, He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.” (Luke 4:14-18)

3. “Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” (Luke 10:19)

4. “Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1)

5. “And He called the twelve to Him, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power over unclean spirits … And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them.” (Mark 6:7,13)

6. “And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.” (Matthew 10:1)

7. “But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matthew 10:6-8)

8. “For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.” (1 John 3:8)
Add to that the fact that Jesus and the Apostles cast out many demons in many specific incidences in the New Testament, as well as John 14:12, which says:
John 14:12 wrote: I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
Then you have, I think, much evidence supporting the idea that Christians should be directly confronting the devil in order to free people from spiritual bondage. (Though personally, I have to say that eye-witness experiences are much more effective in proving this point than mere scripture references. You can't argue with healed autistic kids, cured brain tumors, and the restoration of someone with muscular atrophy.)
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Amethystic wrote:(Though personally, I have to say that eye-witness experiences are much more effective in proving this point than mere scripture references. You can't argue with healed autistic kids, cured brain tumors, and the restoration of someone with muscular atrophy.)
Healed autistic kids? Hmmm, I don't know the full details of autism, but my sister has Down's Syndrome (which is somewhat similar, I believe), and I would never want her to be 'healed'. That's a part of who she is, and who God made her to be, and I would never want that to be changed. So, that 'miracle' in particular sounds a bit fishy to me. :-k

I do believe that God heals people with sicknesses, but I do not believe that he would ever change the essence of who someone is.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I'm not going to quibble about mental illness, but I can only repeat what I've seen: the kid had autism that prevented him from functioning normally, his parents dealt with some of their spiritual garbage, and then boom, no more autism. And I know this little kid personally, so I could see the difference. Even his therapists said that if he were to be re-diagnosed he wouldn't be diagnosed with autism.
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Amethystic wrote:Then you have, I think, much evidence supporting the idea that Christians should be directly confronting the devil in order to free people from spiritual bondage. (Though personally, I have to say that eye-witness experiences are much more effective in proving this point than mere scripture references. You can't argue with healed autistic kids, cured brain tumors, and the restoration of someone with muscular atrophy.)
I don't see how healed autistic kids, cured brain tumors, and the restoration of someone with muscular atrophy has anything to do with the notion that Christians should be confronting the devil in order to free people from spiritual bondage.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Josef1004 wrote:
Amethystic wrote:Then you have, I think, much evidence supporting the idea that Christians should be directly confronting the devil in order to free people from spiritual bondage. (Though personally, I have to say that eye-witness experiences are much more effective in proving this point than mere scripture references. You can't argue with healed autistic kids, cured brain tumors, and the restoration of someone with muscular atrophy.)
I don't see how healed autistic kids, cured brain tumors, and the restoration of someone with muscular atrophy has anything to do with the notion that Christians should be confronting the devil in order to free people from spiritual bondage.
The healing was a direct result of casting the demons out--they renounced any strongholds the demons had, so they didn't have any legal right to inflict illness or disability on the person or their family.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

So, mentally ill people are possessed by demons?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

In many cases demonic interference is the root cause behind it, yes. I'm not familiar with Down Syndrome, though.
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LJ Gibbs
29K to go!

Post by LJ Gibbs »

Ok ok..we are starting to get into dangerous territory at this point. We need not continue focusing so much on the demons. We need be focusing more on The one who freed us all. Jesus. He's the bottom line and he's the only way that any demon,illness,infirmity,or spirit will be cast out of anything.

The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Yup, which is why Christians all over the world are casting out demons in the name of Jesus Christ--if you're not focused on him you're not going to get anywhere. And hey, what's the first rule of war? Know thine enemy. :cool: Also, knowing how to fight off enemy forces is helpful.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Ooh. I could tell you some interesting demon stories. Maybe I'll start a new topic.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I'd be interested in hearing those. \:D/
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

The bottom line is: Jesus is the way, the one who kills the demons and Satan puts them in, but he's not good enough to keep them in.

I refer you to a previous post I made here about Stryper. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I don't quite understand what you're saying. :-k
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Amethystic wrote:I don't quite understand what you're saying. :-k
I'm saying the demons satan puts into people arn't good enough to stand up against Jesus.
he/him | a little stinker.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Steve wrote:
Amethystic wrote:I don't quite understand what you're saying. :-k
I'm saying the demons satan puts into people arn't good enough to stand up against Jesus.
Right... but we still have to do our part in the equation.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah. Jesus isn't on the earth anymore to cast out demons for us... It's our job to do it through the power He gives us as His body. :yes:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein