Exorcism

No, seriously.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Exorcism

Post by Amethystic »

So what is everyone's opinion on the fascinating topic of casting out demons? What do you think about Christian exorcists? Non-Christian exorcists? Exorcism in the Bible? It seems like something we ought to talk about more often. :yes:
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I believe that Jesus and the disciples did it. I'm really not too sure about people doing it today, although I know it surely is possible.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

So what happens to the people who do get demon possessed these days, ric? Are they expected to live with the demon?

I know you said it 'surely is possible', but let's get a bit deeper than that, hm? \:D/

And Amy, you said 'Non-Christian exorcism'... doesn't seem to me that it'd work that way. Jesus Himself told the pharisees that if He DID have a demon and was casting out the unclean spirits that 'A house divided against itself can not stand'. (that's in... Mark. Early Mark. Or John; I can't really remember. I'll edit and add it in. =P)

EDIT: Mark 2:23-27.
Last edited by Termite on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Termite wrote:So what happens to the people who do get demon possessed these days, ric? Are they expected to live with the demon?

I know you said it 'surely is possible', but let's get a bit deeper than that, hm? \:D/
I really don't know. That's all I'm saying. I just don't know. :-
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Termite wrote:And Amy, you said 'Non-Christian exorcism'... doesn't seem to me that it'd work that way. Jesus Himself told the pharisees that if He DID have a demon and was casting out the unclean spirits that 'A house divided against itself can not stand'. (that's in... Mark. Early Mark. Or John; I can't really remember. I'll edit and add it in. =P)

I'm not saying it's effective exorcism, but there are people outside of the church who attempt to battle the demonic--perhaps even more than there are people in the church who deal with the supernatural. New Agers and witch doctors and such.
Last edited by Amethystic on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:
Termite wrote:And Amy, you said 'Non-Christian exorcism'... doesn't seem to me that it'd work that way. Jesus Himself told the pharisees that if He DID have a demon and was casting out the unclean spirits that 'A house divided against itself can not stand'. (that's in... Mark. Early Mark. Or John; I can't really remember. I'll edit and add it in. =P)

I'm not saying it's effective exorcism, but there are people outside of the church who attempt to battle the demonic--perhaps even more than there are people in the church who deal with the supernatural. New Agers and witch doctors and such.
True, I hadn't thought much of non-Christian exorcisms...I don't know iif that would make things worse, or just simply not work, or if it would draw that person into the situation...? Hmm, don't know.
Anyway, original question...I know it still happens nowadays, but I disagree with the...methods of some "preachers". Right along with the showy healing services, they do the same with exorcisms, and that all seems money-motivated, not God-oriented. I can't say if I know if half of that is real. But it does happen, just not by a fancy spoken preacher...rather by an honest servant of God.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Here is what I believe
1. I believe that demon still live in this world
2. I believe that demons can still possess people (I've been to third world countries and the pastors deal with it all the time. No joke)
3. Christians have the power to throw out demons in the name of Jesus
4. Non-Christians who cast out demons usually use more powerful demons to cast the weaker demons out
5. This topic should be discussed more not to scare anyone, but to show Christians that demons still exist in this world.

This is probably a coincidence, but I was just reading the Screwtape letters by C. S. Lewis (or Jack as he liked to be called)
Last edited by Parker Family on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

The Screwtape Letters are fascinating, but I wouldn't trust them as an authority on the subject. Try Bob Larson instead.
Last edited by Amethystic on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Parker Family wrote:Here is what I believe
1. I believe that demon still live in this world
2. I believe that demons can still possess people (I've been to third world countries and the pastors deal with it all the time. No joke)
3. Christians have the power to throw out demons in the name of Jesus
4. Non-Christians who cast out demons usually use more powerful demons to cast the weaker demons out
5. This topic should be discussed more not to scare anyone, but to show Christians that demons still exist in this world.
Agreed.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that there will be those at the judgement day who will argue that they have cast out demons in Christ's name, yet he will indicate that he never knew them?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Matthew 7:21-23 wrote:“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
The passage is saying that just because someone does miraculous things in Jesus' name doesn't mean their saved. We're saved by faith, not deeds.
Last edited by Amethystic on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LJ Gibbs
29K to go!

Post by LJ Gibbs »

Exorcism or the modern day casting out of demons is a rather intriguing topic. There is some today who think that this does not happen. I on the other hand think that it does. Its so very simple though. When as a believer there may come a time when God calls you through the Holy Spirit to do this. We just have to take a key from the book of

Jude 1:9
But even Michael, one of the mightiest of the angels,[d] did not dare accuse the devil of blasphemy, but simply said, “The Lord rebuke you!” (This took place when Michael was arguing with the devil about Moses’ body.) NLT
Even the mightiest of the angels knew this eternal truth. He didn't talk with him, He didn't ask him anything or his naem, He simply said "The Lord rebuke you! And thats truly all thats necessary for the removal of "demons" today.

The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Yeah... I disagree. :- Like, majorly.
Matthew 10:8 wrote:Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
There's other verses and Bible stories that could be presented, as well as more anecdotal evidence. ^_^ And trust me, there's a whoooole lot of anecdotal evidence that speaks in favor of modern spiritual warfare.

Oh, and it's also notable that that passage wasn't dealing with anything exorcism-related...
Jude 1:5-11 wrote:But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.
Last edited by Amethystic on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LJ Gibbs
29K to go!

Post by LJ Gibbs »

Amethystic wrote:Yeah... I disagree. :- Like, majorly.
Matthew 10:8 wrote:Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
There's other verses and Bible stories that could be presented, as well as more anecdotal evidence. ^_^
But I was agreeing that it sill happens today..I fully believe that it does and that any born again believer is capable of anything listed in that verse...I was just using Jude as an example of how Satan is dealt with.

The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

But rebuking the devil isn't always enough. When we're born again we're freed from our carnal nature to a certain extent, but it doesn't re-write our pasts, or the legal rights that have been opened up by sin. It's a process of repentance and direct confrontation with the demons.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Amethystic wrote:But rebuking the devil isn't always enough. When we're born again we're freed from our carnal nature to a certain extent, but it doesn't re-write our pasts, or the legal rights that have been opened up by sin. It's a process of repentance and direct confrontation with the demons.
And if you do it like Stryper, you're even cooler. 8-) "To hell with the devil", as they say....
he/him | a little stinker.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

:lol: Something like that.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Amethystic wrote:Try Bob Larson instead.
I love Bob Larson. I don't hear much about him these days.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Amethystic wrote:But rebuking the devil isn't always enough. When we're born again we're freed from our carnal nature to a certain extent, but it doesn't re-write our pasts, or the legal rights that have been opened up by sin. It's a process of repentance and direct confrontation with the demons.
That statement just doesn't jive with the reality of Colossians 2:13-15

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over the

Doesn't this Scripture lead you to believe that being born again (being quickened together with Him) does quite literally "rewrite our past" and does in fact change those "legal rights"?

There are many things that were done by the disciples before the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ (and for a time after even) that were never meant to become a pattern for believers in Christ after the resurrection. For a true pattern, doesn't it seem better to look at the Apostles' Doctrine, as found in the epistles? It is in the epistles that we find addresses to the present church age.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Amethystic wrote:Try Bob Larson instead.
I love Bob Larson. I don't hear much about him these days.
He flies up here twice a year. \:D/ He's great. :D

EDIT: He's also been doing a lot of work overseas. :yes: They just love him in Eastern Europe.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Josef1004 wrote:
That statement just doesn't jive with the reality of Colossians 2:13-15

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over the

Doesn't this Scripture lead you to believe that being born again (being quickened together with Him) does quite literally "rewrite our past" and does in fact change those "legal rights"?

Alright, firstly: if all our 'stuff' just dissolves when we become Christians, why do Christians still have bad attitudes, bad habits, and addictions? That stuff is spiritual bondage, and it has to be broken.

Josef1004 wrote:There are many things that were done by the disciples before the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ (and for a time after even) that were never meant to become a pattern for believers in Christ after the resurrection. For a true pattern, doesn't it seem better to look at the Apostles' Doctrine, as found in the epistles? It is in the epistles that we find addresses to the present church age.
...then what about all the modern Acts-style miracles that are happening today, based on the ministry on spiritual warfare? The miraculous is far from dead.
Last edited by Amethystic on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.