Demons

Different topic than exorcism

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Demons

Post by odysseyfan1 »

We had a woman coming to our church (who I'll just call Susan) and one day in Sunday School, the teacher was talking about, I believe, Jesus and the demon-possessed man. Susan put her hands over her ears and her head down. Eventually she left the service. The services went on, and as my dad was on the platform, someone came to him and said that they needed his help in the back. Susan was in the coat room, on the floor, and she was demon-possessed. The demon was talking through her saying "you can't have her, she's mine!" in an unnatural, voice (one that was not Susan's) You can imagine there was a lot of praying that day! Finally, a visitor (a friend of my dad's) told the demon to be quiet in the name of Jesus. Then he told Susan that if she wanted to be free, that she would have to call on Jesus' name. In a weak voice, she did, and the demon left her. It turns out that she had been messing around with things she shouldn't have. I was downstairs in Jr. Church during this, but my dad has told this story multiple times since.

Have you ever seen anything or heard about anything like this? There are multiple other stories from people we know, and one that happened to my dad personally.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Since this is a serious topic, I'm going to move it to Finneman's Market.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

V-lady wrote:Since this is a serious topic, I'm going to move it to Finneman's Market.
OK. Thanks. I actually meant for it to go in the Church of Odyssey.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Yeah, sounds more like a church topic.
Anyway, this sounds kind of weird, but one of my friends was possessed when I met him/before I really got to know him. A couple of his pastors cast it out and told him he'd have to make some major changes in his life (it had happened before, but he'd never made an effort to get away from the stuff causing him to fall), which fortunately he did, and he's been following God pretty well since then.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
V-lady wrote:Since this is a serious topic, I'm going to move it to Finneman's Market.
OK. Thanks. I actually meant for it to go in the Church of Odyssey.
Moved. Once again. ;)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Woah, I didn't know this was so common.... :-k
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

It's a lot more common than this, Riccy. Ephesians 6:12. When given a place, demons will take it... There isn't always possession, sometimes just opression... but it's still out there. Lots of people are just too scared to talk about it, and that's why it doesn't seem like there's that much of it.

I've never actually met anyone who's been possessed, though I have had a demon severely opressing me before one night... Freaky. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Termite wrote:I've never actually met anyone who's been possessed, though I have had a demon severely opressing me before one night... Freaky. \:D/
So, what was that like?
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

All I know is that Stryper would say "To hell with the devil!" to cast out a demon. \:D/

I think the demons would leave at that. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

ric wrote:
Termite wrote:I've never actually met anyone who's been possessed, though I have had a demon severely opressing me before one night... Freaky. \:D/
So, what was that like?
Hmmm... Well, it started out with a dream. At the end of it there was a demon flying around the corner of my house where my room is. (my room IS the corner. =P) I woke up, lying on my back, feeling absolutely smothered by the darkness. I somehow made it to the bathroom, noticing the weird fact that my bedroom door was open where it had been closed the night before, and back; that's when it really started affecting me and I got scared. I tried to fall back asleep, first without my light on, and then WITH the light, but it didn't work. Then there were all these scractching noises on my door, like a cat trying to claw its way through the wood. I plugged my ears with John Elefante and tried to fall asleep, but even with the light on my room was suffocating me in the core way.

I finally sat up, pulled out this devotional I was reading at the time, and started reading aloud all the verses as the top of the page. About halfway through, my door was opened and slammed shut... I marched over there with my Bible, opened it, and began rebuking, but I was too scared to be effective. =P I climbed back into bed and kept going; kept freaking out, and eventually I cracked and woke Aeva up. I was tense all day, and only went in my room a few times when I had to. The thick feeling of the air slowly faded as the day drew on... but I was jumpy all day until I finally had a meltdown that night. I slept in Aeva's room on the floor.

Funny thing is, I woke up at 4 AM, and got Aeva up at 7 AM. Let me tell you this: the longest, yet shortest, absolutely most terrifying three hours of my life... this is why it's important to know your enemy. You can't give any place to him, but you HAVE to know him and you HAVE to know how to deal with him properly. Cause let me tell you this: as the years go on, and the worlds gets worse, you will probably have an evil supernatural experience. It can't kill you, but it can creep you out. Be prepared for it.

And honestly, when you are, it's not that bad. Cause yesterday morning I believe there were several demons outside my house. (I have a really good backing argument for this, except I'd rather not hurt my hands typing it all out unless I have to. ;) ) Except this time, I wasn't going to let fear conquer me. After a few minutes of listening to them moan and just feeling this tingling in my spirit, I began rebuking them. Shut em up real fast. When I started to let my mind wander towards fear over the next few minutes, it started again. I rebuked again, it went quiet, and after a few minutes I settled back into a peaceful sleep. \:D/ Take that, Satan.
Last edited by Termite on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Steve wrote:All I know is that Stryper would say "To hell with the devil!" to cast out a demon. \:D/
That's the second time you've mentioned that. You do know that sort of demon-casting is just for show, right? >_>
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

....You do know that's a song, don't you? ;) It has nothing to do with exorcisms; it's just a song telling the devil to go to Hell where he belongs. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm more a Petra fan, but while that is an enjoyable song, it kind of jumps ahead as the Devil won't be in hell until after the return of Christ, etc. ;)

Anyway... eh, well, any Christian should certainly believe demons are real, and by proxy demon possession. However in my research I've come to the conclusion that not all but quite a bit of "demon possession" cases are more akin to mental illness... rather it be MPD or someone who just THINKS they are possessed, etc, or... well... there are plenty of mental illnesses to choose from. ;) Particularly in more civilized cultures. Regions like Haiti are more prone to demonic manifestations.

And the same goes for demonic oppression. Can demons oppress? Sure! \:D/ But they have to have a logical reason to do so--I'm not sure why a demon would for instance create a scare that only brings the victim closer to God. Also: Sleep Paralysis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis I would not be surprised if that was the basis for quite a few demonic encounters, when it is just a natural weird sleep thing.

It is not something that the Bible is clear on really, but I subscribe to the theory that there are militant fallen angels who compose of Lucifer's army, but there are also just random unclean spirits who aren't so much plugged into the overall hierarchy but just like to cause mischief in general. IE-what purpose would Satan have in dispatching his soldiers to... move a cup around mysteriously in a house that was built by a mass grave? None... But we know from scripture and general legend that unclean spirits like creepy places (the possessed man running around in a grave yard that Jesus cast out the spirits into the SWINE!), so I don't have a problem believing there are underlings who just do random stupid things to amuse themselves or create fear.

The distinction of Fallen Angels/Unclean Spirits is an important one, I think, and one most people don't bother making, but that isn't really the topic at this time. ;)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I really ought to listen to that Stryper song sometime. :-k I keep hearing about it, but I've never actually heard it.
odysseyfan1 wrote:Have you ever seen anything or heard about anything like this?
All. The. Time. \:D/ I love this kind of stuff. It's where the action is at. :cool:

Oh, and in response to Top's comment about ghosts: they can be more than mischievous. :dark: Things escalate over time... sometimes fatally.

(Okay, I know that sounded over-dramatic, but I'm not kidding.)
Last edited by Amethystic on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Amethystic wrote:I really ought to listen to that Stryper song sometime. :-k I keep hearing about it, but I've never actually heard it.
It's... very 1980's. ;)
Oh, and in response to Top's comment about ghosts: they can be more than mischievous. :dark: Things escalate over time... sometimes fatally.

(Okay, I know that sounded over-dramatic, but I'm not kidding.)
Oh, definitely... I just mean "mischievous" in the sense that their actions aren't part of an overall master plan of Lucifer to alter the course of prophecy.
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

I just had a dream about this last night. I think I might have read this thread, then something about it slipped into my subconscious. It was definitely the longest and scariest dream I have ever had. Even after I woke up, I was still freaked out. It started out (Well, not actually, but this is where I can remember it starting) with me, and a bunch of other people in a room, sitting down. We were all given ear-rings that when the sun shone through them, the power to drive away, demons. Then, a demon came into the room, started looking around, then chose it's target. Me. It started walking towards me, then I held up my amulet, it went back far enough for me to escape, but wherever I went, it found me. The rest of my dream was me running from this guy/demon, trying to stay away from him. Mind you, the rest of my dream wasn't short, I went everywhere. I hid everywhere from my house, to a hotel, to the ski resort my family stayed at. It still creeps me out.
Last edited by Mark Prescott on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Mark Prescott~
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I once had a dream where a dog came out of the fireplace and bit me on the finger. NOW I KNOW IT WAS REALLY A DEMON!!! :shock:
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

ric wrote:I once had a dream where a dog came out of the fireplace and bit me on the finger. NOW I KNOW IT WAS REALLY A DEMON!!! :shock:
Lol. \:D/ I wasn't saying it was a demon giving me the dream, just that I had a demon in my dream.
~Mark Prescott~
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Mark Prescott wrote:
ric wrote:I once had a dream where a dog came out of the fireplace and bit me on the finger. NOW I KNOW IT WAS REALLY A DEMON!!! :shock:
Lol. \:D/ I wasn't saying it was a demon giving me the dream, just that I had a demon in my dream.
I know, but you gave me the idea to post that. \:D/
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

lol.
So I have no backup on any of this, but this is my opinion. Demons can take any form - human, spirit, etc. There are so many "mythical creatures" that are still being discussed to this day - who is to say that people never actually saw them? For example, vampires, werewolves, cyclops, whatever. I know there's people who think they are vampires, and they could either be demon-possessed or just mentally ill. But there really could be demons that take the form of a vampire-creature. Why not? The Bible doesn't really give any description on what demons look like, so I think it's safe to assume they can look like anything. I understand what Top said about why they would scare victims if it only brings them closer to God, but I think their intention is for people to let their guard down and really walk in fright by themselves, thus the demon being able to "possess" them. Demons can't be the smartest things in the world.
I read this book called The Screwtape Letters by Lewis. It's about a demon "guiding", through letters, his nephew in the corruption of a particular human. Anyways, I think Lewis had an interesting take on that and I would recommend people to read it.

And that's just my rant about demons, lol.