Should Christians look different?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Should Christians look different?

Post by Steve »

Now, when I say "look different", I mean in the physical apperance sense. Of course, we should think and act differently that the rest of the world, but it is it okay to look like them. Now, personaly, I think it's okay. I don't approve of stupid immodesty, but wearing my hair differently or wearing certain clothes seems over the top to me.
For example, here is a picture of me: Image
I look pretty-clean cut. I wear T-shirts and jeans 95% of the time. In the summer I ad shorts to that list, but not usually (I don't like wearing them very well), and at church I wear a collarred shirt of some sort.

So what do you think?
This is gonna end up in the CCDS. I just know it...
he/him | a little stinker.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ya, Christianity shouldn't be a clique. Obviously, we're set apart from 'the rest of the world' because we're saved in Jesus, but there's no reason to purposely have a different physical appearance then everyone else. I know everyone has their reasons for alway styling their hair a certain way, or not wearing pants... but I believe that if Jesus walked the earth today, he would sport jeans and a T-shirt, and possibly a shaggy haircut. ;)

Most Christians already know this, though, so we probably won't get much action in here until iluvsns or odysseyfan show up. :P
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

haha, to the spoiler. I agree with you. Well, being on the conservative side of "not different". In other words, Christians can wear stuff "in fashion" or "casual" as long as it stays modest and appropriate (i.e. no short shorts/low-cut shirts for girls, and no T-shirts with swearing or crude comments).
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Yeah, I think Christians should look different, but I think you're fine. :D
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Yes, God tells us to "be not conformed to this world" so yes, me and my family tend to stand out in public. We don't stand out because we're sloppy or dirty, but because the girls wear blouses and skirts, and you won't see the guys in shorts. :D

(yes, I'm done. That's all I'll say. ;) )

btw, nice picture steve!

\:D/
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

I think both ways are fine as long as you don't go to far either way. If you look more like the world you should be careful not to act like them. If you try to dress in skirts and stuff I think that's fine to as long as you don't get... cultish. :D I'm in the middle. Pants and shirt on some days and skirts on others. ;)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

iluvsns wrote:Yes, God tells us to "be not conformed to this world" so yes, me and my family tend to stand out in public. We don't stand out because we're sloppy or dirty, but because the girls wear blouses and skirts, and you won't see the guys in shorts. :D
So, you're choosing to stand out and look strange just because God said not to be 'conformed to this world'? What's your reasoning behind it?
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Jelly wrote:
iluvsns wrote:Yes, God tells us to "be not conformed to this world" so yes, me and my family tend to stand out in public. We don't stand out because we're sloppy or dirty, but because the girls wear blouses and skirts, and you won't see the guys in shorts. :D
So, you're choosing to stand out and look strange just because God said not to be 'conformed to this world'? What's your reasoning behind it?
No.. that's not the only reason at all. You're absolutely right. That would make zero sense. The reason the girls wear skirts is simply because "a women is not to wear that which pertaineth to a man." and yes, I know there are women's pants out there, but pants are originally a man's garment. If you saw a man wearing a skirt, you'd think that was a little strange, right? It's pretty clear that pants are for men, skirts are for women. Women wearing pants is a relatively new thing. Up until around the end of the 1800s, women NEVER wore pants. What does that tell us? Simple. Skirts are the feminine garment that help distinguish between the genders.

The reason we don't wear shorts or short sleeves (I believe short sleeves are a matter of personal conviction, btw.) is because those are our "gates". If we allow shorts, just how short do we let them get? A lot of womens shorts are not much more than underwear. And the short sleeves. If you let that happen, they start getting shorter, and shorter, and then pretty soon you have no sleeves. Then the women will start wearing lower, lower necks. Pretty soon you have a essentially topless outfit on. And yes, that is a little over-the-top perhaps, but it's simply to explain why we set the boundaries where we do.
And I know you'll probably pick this post to pieces, so be warned that I may not reply. Our family feels we are following God's commands by dressing the way we do. Boundaries are never a bad thing when they're keeping you away from what could become a sin.

King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Brandt Russo is a big hero of mine. He's a Christian author/speaker/theologian and he looks like this;

By the way, in the second picture, he's not wearing a 'free weezy' T-shirt but, the spoof that his T-shirt company sells.

So, ya, Christians should look like any other person. (except, maybe with a few more tats ;) ) I'm not going to say it's wrong to only wear long pants and dresses but, it seems very religious to me. If anything, I would think it'd be a hindrance to your witness.
iluvsns wrote:Women wearing pants is a relatively new thing. Up until around the end of the 1800s, women NEVER wore pants. What does that tell us?
It tells us that culture changed- the very culture to which we are called to preach the gospel.
iluvsns wrote:The reason we don't wear shorts or short sleeves (I believe short sleeves are a matter of personal conviction, btw.) is because those are our "gates". If we allow shorts, just how short do we let them get? A lot of womens shorts are not much more than underwear. And the short sleeves. If you let that happen, they start getting shorter, and shorter, and then pretty soon you have no sleeves. Then the women will start wearing lower, lower necks. Pretty soon you have a essentially topless outfit on. And yes, that is a little over-the-top perhaps, but it's simply to explain why we set the boundaries where we do.
But, aren't you just drawing the line in a different place? (at the wrists, ankles and neck) Why not wear gloves all the time?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

iluvsns wrote:
Jelly wrote:
No.. that's not the only reason at all. You're absolutely right. That would make zero sense. The reason the girls wear skirts is simply because "a women is not to wear that which pertaineth to a man." and yes, I know there are women's pants out there, but pants are originally a man's garment. If you saw a man wearing a skirt, you'd think that was a little strange, right? It's pretty clear that pants are for men, skirts are for women. Women wearing pants is a relatively new thing. Up until around the end of the 1800s, women NEVER wore pants. What does that tell us? Simple. Skirts are the feminine garment that help distinguish between the genders.

The reason we don't wear shorts or short sleeves (I believe short sleeves are a matter of personal conviction, btw.) is because those are our "gates". If we allow shorts, just how short do we let them get? A lot of womens shorts are not much more than underwear. And the short sleeves. If you let that happen, they start getting shorter, and shorter, and then pretty soon you have no sleeves. Then the women will start wearing lower, lower necks. Pretty soon you have a essentially topless outfit on. And yes, that is a little over-the-top perhaps, but it's simply to explain why we set the boundaries where we do.
And I know you'll probably pick this post to pieces, so be warned that I may not reply. Our family feels we are following God's commands by dressing the way we do. Boundaries are never a bad thing when they're keeping you away from what could become a sin.
I am not going to pick apart your post, but I do have a question, you said you do not wear short sleeves, so do you always wear long sleeves even in summer? and I personally have trouble finding dresses with long sleeves. unless you sew your own, that is.

I do not like shorts that are too short anyway, but I do wear pants and shorts regularly. but sometimes I wear dresses just because I like them. My mom rarely wears skirts, even to church, because she says it is work to put on panty hose, and you are not supposed to do any work on the sabbath. I just go with what I feel comfortable with, and what I would want God to see me wearing. same with shirt necklines and sleeves. if the neckline is too low I put a cami under it.
Last edited by bold4god on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Yeah, we wear long or three-quarter length sleeves all year round.

I do want to say this. Im not anyone's judge. I know there will be people in Heaven who dont exactly line up with what I believe. God can speak to anyone regarding anything, but what he tells everyone is different based on their situation. Im not judging women who wear pants. Sure I may have my beliefs on the issue, but God opinion is the one that really matters in the end.

I will throw this out there though. It's really dangerous to start going against your parents wishes because it can damage a persons conscience: for example: My parents have always told me it's wrong to wear pants. So I leave home and start wearing pants. Then I'll think: hey, I always thought this was wrong... maybe it's not after all! Then you might start doing other things your conscience is saying "no" to. Next thing you know, you're far far away from where you should be spiritually.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: listen to God, listen to your parents, and your conscience. God knows our hearts, and He can see our true intentions regarding our dress.

*whew* Sorry if that made zero sense. :?

King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

iluvsns wrote:God's opinion is the one that really matters in the end.
I very much doubt that God has an opinion on such a vastly trivial matter. Also, I don't think God really has opinions; he is truth.
iluvsns wrote:I will throw this out there though. It's really dangerous to start going against your parents wishes because it can damage a persons conscience: for example: My parents have always told me it's wrong to wear pants. So I leave home and start wearing pants. Then I'll think: hey, I always thought this was wrong... maybe it's not after all! Then you might start doing other things your conscience is saying "no" to. Next thing you know, you're far far away from where you should be spiritually.
Um... are you trying to say that your parents' beliefs and your conscience are the same thing? :-s What if, like in my situation, they're in direct contradiction sometimes?
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

If your parents are trying to serve God is what I meant.

Of course God cares! Why else would he command us to wear "modest apparel"?

King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

iluvsns wrote:If your parents are trying to serve God is what I meant.
My parents are trying to serve God but, we have different beliefs. You identity should be found solely in Christ, not in your parents.

iluvsns wrote:Of course God cares! Why else would he command us to wear "modest apparel"?
I would think that if it was an important issue to him, he would have mentioned it when he came to earth. Alas, he didn't... not once. :anxious:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
iluvsns wrote:Women wearing pants is a relatively new thing. Up until around the end of the 1800s, women NEVER wore pants. What does that tell us?
It tells us that culture changed- the very culture to which we are called to preach the gospel.
This.
iluvsns wrote:God's opinion is the one that really matters in the end.
I very much doubt that God has an opinion on such a vastly trivial matter. Also, I don't think God really has opinions; he is truth.
And this. KBT pretty much said everything I was going to say. ;)

If your family chooses to wear outdated and inconvenient clothing all the time, fine. But I kinda get disgusted when people do it because they think that makes them better Christians. I don't believe you can take fashion tips from a couple thousand years ago and apply them to today's culture. Just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean that it's literally relevant in today's terms. As I mentioned earlier, if Jesus Himself walked the earth today, He would probably wear shorts if it was hot outside. He'd probably even take off His shirt when swimming. ;) Do you think He would walk around wearing a white robe? No, of course not, because nobody wears that today. Back then, he wore what everyone else wore. He wouldn't have preached to everyone about what they were wearing, either, because it probably didn't matter.
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

that makes alot of sence Iluvsns, about not going against what your parents told you. and I was not trying to change your mind, (re-reading my message made me realize it might have sounded that way). But I do think that God cares what we wear, but I agree that some people may have different views what is right and what it not.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

My parents are trying to serve God but, we have different beliefs. You identity should be found solely in Christ, not in your parents.

iluvsns wrote:Of course God cares! Why else would he command us to wear "modest apparel"?
I would think that if it was an important issue to him, he would have mentioned it when he came to earth. Alas, he didn't... not once. :anxious:
Um, I know this was directed at iluvsns, but God did mention it. Times were a lot different then, and women didn't even wear pants, so it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to people. But anyway, just because it's in the Old Testament, doesn't make it any less important. The Ten Commandments weren't all repeated in the NT, and we're supposed to follow those.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Um, I know this was directed at iluvsns, but God did mention it. Times were a lot different then, and women didn't even wear pants, so it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to people. But anyway, just because it's in the Old Testament, doesn't make it any less important. The Ten Commandments weren't all repeated in the NT, and we're supposed to follow those.
If some one said that Jesus never mentioned something and I corrected them, I would probably provide a verse of him mentioning it. ;) Until I see a specific verse, I can't really respond.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

odysseyfan1 wrote:

Uh, yeah, but dudes didn't wear pants either. And we're not allowed to wear skirts now...

Unless it's a Scotland Fest and you must wear a kilt. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
If some one said that Jesus never mentioned something and I corrected them, I would probably provide a verse of him mentioning it. ;) Until I see a specific verse, I can't really respond.
Um, I'm not understanding what you're saying. :(

-- 14 Apr 2011 06:15 pm --
Steve wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:

Uh, yeah, but dudes didn't wear pants either. And we're not allowed to wear skirts now...

Unless it's a Scotland Fest and you must wear a kilt. \:D/
Let me ask you this: What would you think if you saw a man walking down the street in a dress? Uh-huh, so why is it different for a women? The rise of "women's pants" came about because of Hollywood, and the placement of women in the workplace.