Housechurch.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

Housechurch. Agree? Disagree? Or don't care?

Yes, I agree with housechurch.
56%
No, I don't agree with housechurch.
No votes
I don't care wheather people go to housechurch or not.
44%

Total votes: 9

minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Housechurch.

Post by minichef »

Well... Which is it?
LJ Gibbs
29K to go!

Post by LJ Gibbs »

Any place that two or more believers come together to pray,worship, or share Christ with others is where the church is. The house is merely a building just as any other building so I voted yes.

The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Well, since the Bible does mention the fact that the New Testament church met in each other's houses, I would hope everyone would agree that it is just as valid as a church meeting together in larger buildings. \:D/
My family has been members of a couple different home churches, and we desire to be in another one. One potential problem with the ones we've been a part of, is that they are naturally smaller in size, which is a good thing in many ways. You get much closer relationships, more participation, etc. However, when families move or something, it really makes a dent in your congregation. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

There are great benefits but when bigger churches launch that kind of thing I have seen it tear the church apart... so I suppose if there is no parent church they are under they probably are better off. ;)
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Well, since the Bible does mention the fact that the New Testament church met in each other's houses, I would hope everyone would agree that it is just as valid as a church meeting together in larger buildings. \:D/
While I don't disagree with all house churches, I think it is important not to say that just because the Bible mentioned it means it's ok. I could talk about having church in a boat in a letter to someone, but just because I mentioned doesn't mean they should do it or everyone else should.
Last edited by Joanne on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm not saying, "EVERYONE SHOULD HOUSE CHURCH!!" :x I do, however, think that people should definitely look to the NT more as an example of how a church should be. One thing seen throughout is that they were indeed smaller groups meeting in each other's homes. Just as we see in Acts that they continually devoted themselves to prayer, breaking of bread, etc. we also see them in homes. It's not just that it's mentioned in a neutral or a negative way, like say David and Bathsheba is mentioned and we don't follow that example. ;) It's the way the church started, and I think it's an important thing to take note of. I also think it's rather funny that nowadays, lots of people think churches that meet in homes are really weird and strange, and even NON-Biblical, when that's what is all throughout the NT.

Note, just because a church is in a house, does not mean it's following the other examples/commands for the church in the Bible. There can be really doctrinally messed up house churches. But there are just as many messed up "real churches", as some people put it. :P It's not the fact that it's held in a home that's wrong.

Balloon 20
PM this number to Marvin!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I don't think it matters whether you meet in a Church building, a house, or a boat in the middle of the ocean, you can have church where ever you want. Just because it's in a big Church building does not mean that it is "better" than the people who choose to meet in homes. As long as the doctrine is sound, house churches are wonderful. (the same with larger churches)
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I think wherever you meet though it is important to be part of a larger church body, the verse in Acts says "And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers." I've been to several home churches and non-denominational churches where the lack of oversight became a problem once there was disagreements amongst the elders and pastors.

As several of you have said the location doesn't matter and I agree I think the doctrine is the important thing.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Ayn Rand wrote:I think wherever you meet though it is important to be part of a larger church body, the verse in Acts says "And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers." I've been to several home churches and non-denominational churches where the lack of oversight became a problem once there was disagreements amongst the elders and pastors.

As several of you have said the location doesn't matter and I agree I think the doctrine is the important thing.
Yes. Pretty much my answer...It depends on the church. Many house churches where the main difference is only location I have no problem with...but if it is only one or two families (particularly one) then i don't feel like it is really good fellowship with other believers, as I believe is one of the main objectives for the church.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Jesus' Princess wrote:I don't think it matters whether you meet in a Church building, a house, or a boat in the middle of the ocean, you can have church where ever you want. Just because it's in a big Church building does not mean that it is "better" than the people who choose to meet in homes. As long as the doctrine is sound, house churches are wonderful. (the same with larger churches)
You talk about "having church" as if church were an activity. Don't you think though, that the church is actually a body of believers?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Yes I do, but what I meant was that the body of believers can meet anywhere, it doesn't have to be in a church building. Our house church has met in houses, back yards, one time in someones barn building, it didn't really matter where though, What mattered was that we were gathering together and worshiping God, and fellowshiping with one another.
LJ Gibbs
29K to go!

Post by LJ Gibbs »

The building no matter where you meet has absolutely nothing to do with the church =; :x

The Church is whenever two or more believers are gathered together in the name of Christ. You want to look to the NT for the church. Thats where its at. Its where all believers regardless of denomination rise up as the body of Christ. The building is nothing but wood, metal, stone, brick and fiber glass. Its the people. The people are the church.

The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I agree the Church is the people not the building, however I think the definition has to include more than just two people gathering in God's name, when we look to the Church in Acts it talks about prayer, communion, and a shared belief in the doctrine of the Apostles. Like I said earlier if a church, whether it's a house church or a mega church with tens of thousands of people, has wrong doctrine and no oversight it is in trouble.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

LJ Gibbs wrote:The building no matter where you meet has absolutely nothing to do with the church =; :x

The Church is whenever two or more believers are gathered together in the name of Christ. You want to look to the NT for the church. Thats where its at. Its where all believers regardless of denomination rise up as the body of Christ. The building is nothing but wood, metal, stone, brick and fiber glass. Its the people. The people are the church.
And when they are not gathered together, do you think they cease to be a church?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.