ToO Miracle of Sorts

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Bren
Be positive!

ToO Miracle of Sorts

Post by Bren »

I am sure some have wondered where I have been. Tuesday evening, we had 2 tornadoes move through our area. Damaged several houses. We had one tree in the area that came out that took the sidewalk out with it. It could have been a whole lot worse for us. Had several trees that landed on houses. The best I can say is praise God for his protecting hand. If I find a good article about it I will post that later.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

So glad you're okay! I'll be praying for your area for those who have had damage.. :)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Carmi Times wrote:A powerful storm raced across White County Tuesday night and left widespread damage in its wake, school closures and power outages but - miraculously - no injuries have been reported.

Some are still debating whether there was a tornado aloft of if straight line winds as high as 90 m.p.h. caused the damage, but it didn't seem to matter what the cause was as people in every community were busy cleaning up Wednesday morning.

Emergency crews were forced to evacuate some residents on Staley Street in Carmi after an uprooted tree brought up a gas line with it.

Utility crews were -and remain - extremely busy. Power outages forced the closure of Grayville and Carmi Unit 5 schools. Unit 5 will be closed until Tuesday. One of the Norris City schools sustained considerable damage to its roof.

A spokesman at the City of Carmi light plant said the city had its main feed on line Wednesday morning and had power restored to Trelleborg and Wal-Mart by 4 a.m. Wednesday. Other areas of Carmi had power by late afternoon but the spokesman said some residents may be without power "for a couple of days."

He added it was safety concerns that were causing the delays in power restoration. The damage was so widespread each section of the city has to be thoroughly tested before its power can be restored.

Wayne-White Counties Electric Cooperative reported some 50 utility poles were on the ground in southern White County and more than 80 were down in its service region. AmerenIllinois crews were very active in their service area, including the Crossville area, where the wind snapped off poles west and north of town.

Around Carmi, numerous poles were down, transformers were down, lines were down and poles were, in some instances, dangling only with support from the lines.

White County Sheriff Doug Maier said a man and his son were inside a mobile home near Enfield Tuesday night when the storm hit. Maier said the wind caused the mobile home to overturn perhaps as many as two times before coming to rest. The man and his son walked away unscathed.

The White County Courthouse was closed Wednesday because the large awning covering the main (north) entrance was blown down. The large poles securing the awning were ripped from their concrete supports.

Crossville, Phillipstown, Herald and Norris City all had widespread damage and what appeared to be about half a large woods in the Seven-Mile Flats between Carmi and Enfield was uprooted, with large root wads pointing skyward rather than the limbs and leaves.

Bob Morrill, who lives on Maple Street near Eighth in Carmi, said he had a rear-tine tiller chained to his carport so no one would steal the tiller. The wind lifted the carport - and the tiller - north over Maple Street, over a neighbor's fence and into the neighbor's tree.

A small added-on structure behind the VFW Post in Carmi used as a fish frying house was blown away in the storm.

Wednesday was much cooler but without precipitation as clean-ups began around the county while many were bracing for another round of forecast severe storms for Friday.
Thanks for the prayers.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Wow, that's a crazy story! I am glad you are unharmed, Regis. Praise God, and welcome back!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Yes, praise God, Bren. So glad you're back safe and sound. :pray: :)

\:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, glad everything is doing pretty well...hope the city is able to rebuild and get things fixed quickly!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)