Easter: more than the bunny

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Easter: more than the bunny

Post by snubs »

I would like us all to take some time to meditate on Jesus' resurrection, and His gift to us (which is the whole meaning of Easter). Also, I pray that God will make Jesus' sacrifice real in our hearts. Because I think a lot of times we don't truly see (or understand) the magnitude in His crucifixion. So, please, take the time to humble yourselves in His sight to truly and wholeheartedly thank Him for what He did for all of us. <3

Here is Jesus' crucifixion according to John:
John Chapters 19-20 wrote:
So then Pilate took Jesus and scourged Him.
And the soldiers twisted a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and they put on Him a purple robe.
Then they said, "Hail, King of the Jews!" And they struck Him with their hands.
Pilate then went out again, and said to them, "Behold, I am bringing Him out to you, that you may know that I find no fault in Him."
Then Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. And Pilate said to them, "Behold the Man!"
Therefore, when the chief priests and officers saw Him, they cried out, saying, "Crucify Him, crucify Him!" Pilate said to them, "You take Him and crucify Him, for I find no fault in Him."
The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and according to our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God."
Therefore, when Pilate heard that saying, he was the more afraid,
and went again into the Praetorium, and said to Jesus, "Where are You from?" But Jesus gave him no answer.
Then Pilate said to Him, "Are You not speaking to me? Do You not know that I have power to crucify You, and power to release You?"
Jesus answered, "You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin."
From then on Pilate sought to release Him, but the Jews cried out, saying, "If you let this Man go, you are not Caesar's friend. Whoever makes himself a king speaks against Caesar."
When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus out and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called The Pavement, but in Hebrew, Gabbatha.
Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he said to the Jews, "Behold your King!"
But they cried out, "Away with Him, away with Him! Crucify Him!" Pilate said to them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priests answered, "We have no king but Caesar!"

Then he delivered Him to them to be crucified. So they took Jesus and led Him away.
And He, bearing His cross, went out to a place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha,
where they crucified Him, and two others with Him, one on either side, and Jesus in the center.

Now Pilate wrote a title and put it on the cross. And the writing was:
JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
Then many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin.
Therefore the chief priests of the Jews said to Pilate, "Do not write, 'The King of the Jews,' but, 'He said, "I am the King of the Jews."'"
Pilate answered, "What I have written, I have written."
Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments and made four parts, to each soldier a part, and also the tunic. Now the tunic was without seam, woven from the top in one piece.
They said therefore among themselves, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be," that the Scripture might be fulfilled which says: "They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots." Therefore the soldiers did these things.
Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!"
Then He said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!" And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.
After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, "I thirst!"
Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth.
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
Then the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and of the other who was crucified with Him.
But when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs.
But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out.
And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe.
For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, "Not one of His bones shall be broken."
And again another Scripture says, "They shall look on Him whom they pierced."

After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took the body of Jesus.
And Nicodemus, who at first came to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds.
Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury.
Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.
So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews' Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby.

Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.
Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him."
Peter therefore went out, and the other disciple, and were going to the tomb.
So they both ran together, and the other disciple outran Peter and came to the tomb first.
And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in.
Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there,
and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself.
Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed.
For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead.
Then the disciples went away again to their own homes.

But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb.
And she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
Then they said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him."
Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus.
Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, "Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away."
Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to Him, "Rabboni!" (which is to say, Teacher).
Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.'"
Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her.

Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you."
When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you."
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."

And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!"
Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book;
but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
Yep, what a friend we have in Jesus, indeed! That is so amazing to me.

When I was reading the prayer He prayed soon before He got arrested, I started to tear up. That's when I truly saw the awesomeness in what Jesus did for me. It's hard to explain just how it dawned on me... but it did. And I am truly thankful.

Here are a couple sets you all may use:

Code: Select all

http://i28.servimg.com/u/f28/15/38/85/77/risen_11.png

[img]http://i28.servimg.com/u/f28/15/38/85/77/risen_10.png[/img]

http://i28.servimg.com/u/f28/15/38/85/77/jesus_10.png

[img]http://i28.servimg.com/u/f28/15/38/85/77/jesus_11.png[/img]

In Christ,
-snubs
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I don't know if anyone'll find this interesting or not, but I think it helps realize how engrained in history this form of torture was: Crucifixion was the most painful form of torture ever devised, so painful that it was the root for the most expressive word for pain in English: Excruciation.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Wow, I don't think ever really knew that. I mean, I knew being crucified was pretty bad but...
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Here is one of the things we can take from this is by the stripes Jesus took on his back we can claim healing.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Crucifixion could last for days..it was so bad that it was kept for the lowest criminals. I read Philipians 2 today, and it helped me think more about Jesus and what he did for us.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I highly recommended watching The Passion. It's brutal for sure, but it gives you the most accurate visual depiction of what it actually would have been like. It's also quite moving, and masterfully crafted with symbolisms and historical accuracy.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Jelly wrote:I highly recommended watching The Passion. It's brutal for sure, but it gives you the most accurate visual depiction of what it actually would have been like. It's also quite moving, and masterfully crafted with symbolisms and historical accuracy.
I would like to watch it when I am older. For now I have to watch those really crummy videos they show at church that doesn't have any realism to it :( ( Not that I am anti-church/easter or anything AT ALL ) But I am reading through the book of John again and I have been having some time in God's word :yes: And I hope we all remember what Easter is all about :yes:
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I don't know if anyone'll find this interesting or not, but I think it helps realize how engrained in history this form of torture was: Crucifixion was the most painful form of torture ever devised, so painful that it was the root for the most expressive word for pain in English: Excruciation.
I am not to sure about this, I think there might be painful methods of execution. There are plenty of them.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Yes, but crucifixion wasn't primarily a death device, as much as a prolonging torture device. The ancient writers said that Roman crucifixion was the MOST painful method of torture that man had ever used against each other. It was prolonged for days, the nails were driven right through the bones, gravity not only pulled people down against those nails, but in order to breathe, those being crucified had to pull themselves up BY THEIR NAILS in order get the air in. That's why, before the Sabbath (since people couldn't be executed on those days) the Romans would break the legs, so that they couldn't push off the nails in their ankles, only pull themselves by the ones in their wrists. That's what they would've done to Jesus. They broke the legs of the first 2 sinners, but when they got to Jesus, he was already dead. Like Jesus had said, no man could kill Him. He was already dead when they came for him. Also, like the prophecy said, none of his bones would be broken.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Jelly wrote:I highly recommended watching The Passion. It's brutal for sure, but it gives you the most accurate visual depiction of what it actually would have been like. It's also quite moving, and masterfully crafted with symbolisms and historical accuracy.
I haven't watched the whole thing, but I have seen from when Jesus gets arrested on to the end. I agree. It really does give you a realistic idea of what Jesus did for us..

Our God's love is AMAZING! :D

It is definitely for an older audience though. :-

Happy Resurrection Sunday everyone! :D

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Today at church, I did a dramatic reading of the short story I wrote a few weeks back. Here it is if you want to read it.
The Prisoner

A scream resonates down the hall. It carries throughout the building for a few moments, then fades into sobs, heavy breaths, and finally into silence. It is the silence that is the worst. It’s the silence that we all hate here. The silence that burns through our hearts, and chills us to the bone at once. It is the silence of waiting. As I shift my weight to my right, my neck howls in protest. A sharp pain follows quickly, along with a small, warm sensation down my back. In a few minutes, the blood will likely stop. I shouldn’t move much now. My neck is already a raw pulp, though that’s not any comparison to what I know is awaiting me. The day’s coming soon, I can tell. It’s the way the jailer looks at me with that mocking glare as he passes a few bites of cold, rotting meat through the door. I shift my weight to its old position as gently as possible, trying not to jerk the chain. Why must they make these rings so tight? I can barely breathe through it. My hands slowly find their way from my lap to the floor. My fingers, blue with cold, are stiff and unresponsive, yet can still feel the water, stagnant on the ground. The sharp corners of the cracks in the bedrock send little pricks of pain up my arm. The pricks are delayed by the numbness, so I by the time I feel the pain, I can lift my hands, but I must endure the sensations until they cease.

How did I end up here? I look around. A few shafts of light trickle in from the barred window too far to reach with my chained neck. The light doesn’t make it far. After only a few feet, it’s extinguished like a naïve dove which happened into an evil forest. A second or two after entering, it realizes the mistake, but it’s too late. One can barely see the remains. Those shredded remnants of light, slight though they may be, have been my only hope since I arrived. It’s been 3 months now. I remember the day before so clearly. I was watching the execution. As the men hung there, I smiled with contempt. A murderer, and two thieves. The murderer had killed a soldier in the riot a month before. He deserved to die. I may hate the Romans, but that riot was my organization, and I barely escaped the punishment for it because of his foolish action. I didn’t know much about the thieves; they stole some jewelry from an old woman, I think. All of these men were meant to be there. They deserved to die. That’s why they hung there, moments from death as I turned and left.

So why was I here? I didn’t do anything like they did. I’ve started a few riots, but the Romans are oppressing everyone. So maybe I’ve stolen a little gold from a tax collector of two. They are stealing from us, stealing for the Romans, no less. What I’ve done is no less wrong than what they have, yet I’m the one in prison. Yet another day I’ll remember forever. I was just laying myself down to rest when the knock came at my door. I rolled over, completely drunk. I wasn’t going to let this impudent invader on my rest get away lightly. I staggered to the door, zigzagging across the room, trying to keep myself together. By the time the third knock came, I knew this wasn’t some lost boy or wayward widow. No, this meant trouble. I turned and tripped over my own feet. I cursed the glass of wine I’d had with dinner. And the other glass of wine after dinner. And the two more after that. I laid there for a moment, sprawled across the ground. I lifted my hand to feel the blood on my head. It wouldn’t be the last drop to spill from me that evening. Just as I opened my eyes, the soldiers kicked down the door and burst into the room. I remember the cold night air as I was dragged through the darkness. I remember the growling captain reading my crimes to the jailer as I was admitted in. I remember the cold ring being locked around my neck. I remember how I yelled and struggled and pleaded and fought that night. I wore that ring deep into my neck with all of the yanking. I still haven’t fully recovered from that night. When my energy finally ran out, I crumpled to the ground with exhaustion. By then, the alcohol was beginning to leave my body, and my mind began to clear. I tried to recall what the captain had said to the jailer about me. After asking enough bystanders, it seems, they finally identified me as the leader of the riot. From that description, they also linked me to the thefts from the taxers. Now they had me.

It wasn’t fair. These people could get away with anything that they pleased, and yet I am sentenced to death for these small crimes? Where is the justice in that? Where is this God that the Jews speak of? Throughout all my childhood, I heard in the synagogues of the great God Yahweh, who was the just judge. One who punished evil and rewarded good. So where was he now, why did he abandon me? My parents died when I was only 6 years old, and since then, I’ve never given God a second thought. If he cares little enough about me to let my parents die, I can care as much about Him.

The sun is setting. The light is gently fading from the window. What little shred of hope I have is quickly fading also. I won’t live to see these cuts heal. There has to be more to life than this. I can’t believe that we were sent here to suffer and die painful deaths. Where is this God?!

The door creaks open. In all the turmoil of my thoughts, I didn’t hear the jailer approach. A man in clean robes is tossed in, the door clangs shut. The jailer’s footsteps echo their way through the hallway as he leaves. I look to the man. He looks proper, like a real upper-class snob. What could he be doing in jail? “Who are you?”, I croak. My voice falters after being out of use for so long. “Why are you not chained? Aren’t you a prisoner, or do you just enjoy visiting those who are to be crucified?”

“I’m a Pharisee, not a prisoner. I shouldn’t be here. I’m a follower of a man called Jesus of Nazareth. Have you heard of him?”

“The name is familiar, though I know not who he is, or what he’s done.”

“I’ll tell you. He is the Messiah. The Son of the Blessed One. The King of Kings. As for what he has done, he has performed miracles from God, and changed the lives of countless Jews throughout the past few years.”

“Ha! God doesn’t care about His people. Why would he send his son here? Does He hate this Jesus as well?”

“Jesus has come to save us from our sins. To set the captives free. He is the fulfillment of all the prophecies.”

“Set the captives free? Well, please feel free to tell your Jesus, then, that I’m a man in here for no good reason. Let him come and set me free.”

“You’re in here for no good reason, you say?”

“That’s right. They have locked me up, and plan to hang me on a cross for rioting and theft.”

“And you believe that that’s not good reason for imprisonment?”

“It’s all in the perspective. I was rebelling against the Romans, and I stole from tax collectors. They are evil people, and deserve to be punished. I was just doing my duty to create justice.”

“So you think that if everyone wrongs one another, then the world is all good?”

“Well... no. I mean... I don’t know. I don’t know and I don’t care. Why are you in here anyways?”

“Well, most of the Pharisees are not pleased with what Jesus has to say. Although he is the fulfillment of the Law, they see Him as a threat to our way of life, our whole society. I have read the Holy Scriptures and know the prophecies. I know that this man is the Messiah, God’s own Son. Even if the others believe Him to be a wild revolutionary, I can see His love.”

“And you are in prison now for... starting rebellions with this revolutionary? That is the same as me. You see, you religious types are hardly as clean as the driven sand.”

“While I agree that I’m not perfect, I’m not here for inciting riot. Last night, the Sanhedrin declared that they were going to arrest Jesus for heresy. They say that he claimed to be the Son of God, and now he must he put to death. It’s only an excuse to get rid of him. It’s not heresy if he really is God’s Son! I said as much, but they put me in here until they could arrest him. They plan to intercept him tonight and take him in.”

“You really believe that this man is the Son of God Himself?”

“With all my heart. And if you believe in him and repent, you too can be forgiven of your sins. He can set you free.”

“No offense, but until Jesus casts off these chains and lets me out of this prison, I won’t believe.” We say nothing else for the rest of the night. Darkness fills the cell, and for the first time in decades, I don’t feel it permeate my soul as well. Every night since I my parents died at the hands of the Romans, the leaving of the light from the sky has also sucked the light from my heart. Not that there’s a lot of light there to begin with, but the night has always been a symbol of despair for me. Tonight, I feel different. I don’t know what it is, but something that that man said has given me, I don’t know, some sort of hope. Maybe there is more to life than this chain choking the life from my body. For the first time in my life, I pray. I don’t know what to do, but the man is asleep, so I begin to talk.

“Umm... God? I know that in the past we’ve never been on the best of terms, but I, I have a favour to ask you. I don’t even know if you care, or who this Jesus person is, but this Pharisee really cares about him, and well, if you could not let him die for something he didn’t do, I’d, uh, appreciate it. Don’t think that this means that I believe in him, or you. I already said that I won’t believe he’s some Messiah setting people free until he comes in here and lets me go without needing to die. If he can do that, then I’ll follow him. I guess that’s it, then. Good night.”

I don’t sleep much that night; the conversations of the night keep resounding through my head. At last, morning comes. I lift my head, suddenly recoiling at the weight of the ring bearing down on my raw neck. I pick up the chain, and sit up. Light is gently trickling in through the window. Strange, but the whole room seems lighter than normal. The regular shaft of light in the cell seems bigger, like it fills half the cell. I can feel the sun shining on my feet. The first warmth in months. A half-smile almost works its way to my mouth, then I stop. A clicking sound begins to reverberate through the building: the jailer is coming. Suddenly, I remember what the man had said about Jesus, and I begin to wonder what had happened. Had he been convicted or not? As the jailer comes closer, I stretch my foot out and nudge the Pharisee. He jerks up. It seems that he didn’t sleep much either. Probably worrying about his ‘Son of God’. The jailer stops in front of our door, and begins to open it.

“Out of here! You’re free to go.”

The man jumped up, praising God, and ran past. The jailer barely had time to move out of the way before the man was out of the cell and bounding down the hallway. “And you?”

“What about me?”

He walked over and unlocked the chain around my neck. “You’re free to go.”

My head began to spin. “What do you mean, ‘I’m free to go’?”

“YOU’RE FREE TO GO, BARABBAS. JESUS HAS TAKEN YOUR PLACE.”
HE IS RISEN!! Happy EASTER!!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Yes, but crucifixion wasn't primarily a death device, as much as a prolonging torture device. The ancient writers said that Roman crucifixion was the MOST painful method of torture that man had ever used against each other. It was prolonged for days, the nails were driven right through the bones, gravity not only pulled people down against those nails, but in order to breathe, those being crucified had to pull themselves up BY THEIR NAILS in order get the air in. That's why, before the Sabbath (since people couldn't be executed on those days) the Romans would break the legs, so that they couldn't push off the nails in their ankles, only pull themselves by the ones in their wrists. That's what they would've done to Jesus. They broke the legs of the first 2 sinners, but when they got to Jesus, he was already dead. Like Jesus had said, no man could kill Him. He was already dead when they came for him. Also, like the prophecy said, none of his bones would be broken.
But I would like to point out that the ancient writers were not did not know about all of the forms torture then, and most certainly did not know of all of the ones invented after.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Moontide wrote:
But I would like to point out that the ancient writers were not did not know about all of the forms torture then, and most certainly did not know of all of the ones invented after.
Hey um if you two really want to talk about this, will you transfer it to pm please? ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Yeah, the most amazing thing about the crucifixion is that Jesus did it knowing that we would sin. He went through mocking, beating, bruising, and spitting. And then He got whipped. Think about it: He was ripped into with the instrument they used to scourge Him--so His back was ripped open. Some of His internal organs may even have been visible. And then they nailed Him to a cross. Not only is that excrutiating pain to have nails put through your wrist where all your hands' veins are, but then His back, newly ripped open and bleeding was rubbed up against the wood, which was probably splintered and rough. Think about that scratching against ripped flesh! It was a horrifying pain! And that doesn't even begin to do it justice.

But the thing is, He didn't just suffer physically. Many went through the Romans' horrible practice of crucifixion, but no one died like He died. He suffered spiritually. Our punishment for sin is eternal torment and separation from God in Hell. So Jesus had to satisfy that wrath for us so that we wouldn't have to go through it. Therefore when He was on the cross, His spirit/soul was in more torment than His body. In Hell we are separated from God, so when Jesus suffered, it makes sense that He exclaimed, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?!"

Think of it all in the terms of these words to the bridge of a song by Sidewalk Prophets called You Love Me Anyway:

I am the thorn in Your crown! But You love me anyway.
I am the sweat from Your brow! But You love me anyway.
I am the nail in Your wrist! But You love me anyway.
I am Judas's kiss! But You love me anyway.
See now I am the man who called out from the crowd for Your blood to be spilt on this earth-shaken ground. Yes then I turned away with this smile on my face, with this sin in my heart, tried to bury Your grace. Then alone in the night, I still called out to You. So ashamed of my life, my life, my life.

BUT YOU LOVE ME ANYWAY!!!