What's acceptable on Sunday?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

What's acceptable on Sunday?

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Do you believe in shopping/going out to restaraunts on Sunday? The Bible says "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy," so we refrain from doing anything like that on Sunday.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Heh, note when it says "Sabbath", it is not talking about Sunday. ;) Their is no proof anywhere that the Sabbath "moved" to Sunday. It was, and always be, Saturday for the Jews. If modern-day Christians want to observe it (which we are not commanded to do, mind you), that's your choice. I, however, work every Sunday night. \:D/

We don't go out to eat very often on Sundays.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

American Eagle wrote:Heh, note when it says "Sabbath", it is not talking about Sunday. ;) Their is no proof anywhere that the Sabbath "moved" to Sunday. It was, and always be, Saturday for the Jews. If modern-day Christians want to observe it (which we are not commanded to do, mind you), that's your choice. I, however, work every Sunday night. \:D/

We don't go out to eat very often on Sundays.
Do you observe the Sabbath on Sunday? (I mean Saturday?)
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

And why do we need to observe the Sabbath?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Dr. Watson wrote:And why do we need to observe the Sabbath?
Um, because it's in the Ten Commandments. ;)
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Read Colossians, friend:

Colossians 2:16-17 wrote:Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
And Romans:
Romans 14:5 wrote: One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

It is interesting that though the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, it is only commandment never repeated in the New Testament--in fact, as indicated above, it is nullified! :) Christians are not bound to follow the Sabbath. If you wish to, praise God--follow your conscience. But I do not, as such.

Of course, I recognize the practical benefits of resting one day a week, so practically speaking, I am Sabbatarian, but I do not do so out of conscience.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Dr. Watson wrote:Read Colossians, friend:

Colossians 2:16-17 wrote:Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
And Romans:
Romans 14:5 wrote: One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

It is interesting that though the Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments, it is only commandment never repeated in the New Testament--in fact, as indicated above, it is nullified! :) Christians are not bound to follow the Sabbath. If you wish to, praise God--follow your conscience. But I do not, as such.

Of course, I recognize the practical benefits of resting one day a week, so practically speaking, I am Sabbatarian, but I do not do so out of conscience.
The KJV (Colossians 2:16) says sabbath days. The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and chiefly to the beginning and to the close of the great festivals that they had. Festivals that we no longer have to observe. NOT Sunday, as you implied ;)
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ya, you could operate strictly under your interpretation of the Ten Commandments... or you could look at the part where Jesus basically said 'screw it, stop being so legalistic about it'. ;)

It's interesting how you seem to take some parts of the Bible literal to the extreme, and then translate or interpret other parts of the Bible.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Jelly wrote:Ya, you could operate strictly under your interpretation of the Ten Commandments... or you could look at the part where Jesus basically said 'screw it, stop being so legalistic about it'. ;)

It's interesting how you seem to take some parts of the Bible literal to the extreme, and then translate or interpret other parts of the Bible.
And which parts do we "translate" and "interpret"? And also where did Jesus say that? :?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Well, you've literally taken one of the commandments to mean that you can't do anything on Sunday. Then you dismissed the verses Watson put forward, because they were 'outdated'. Why choose to blind yourselves in that way? Jesus had some choice words to say to those religious dudes who were all legalistic about things like the sabbath day.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Jelly wrote:Well, you've literally taken one of the commandments to mean that you can't do anything on Sunday. Then you dismissed the verses Watson put forward, because they were 'outdated'. Why choose to blind yourselves in that way? Jesus had some choice words to say to those religious dudes who were all legalistic about things like the sabbath day.
Um, dude, didn't you see my post about that verse? ;) And you can do stuff on Sunday. But when you're going out to eat, somebody has to serve you! If you (and everybody else) weren't there, they wouldn't be working. In essence you're causing them to work. :) Oh, and I noticed that you didn't my answer my question.
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

odysseyfan1 wrote:Um, dude, didn't you see my post about that verse? ;)

..this one?
odysseyfan1 wrote:
:-s
odysseyfan1 wrote:But when you're going out to eat, somebody has to serve you! If you (and everybody else) weren't there, they wouldn't be working. In essence you're causing them to work. :)
just.. no.. >_>
odysseyfan1 wrote:Oh, and I noticed that you didn't my answer my question.
I'm talking about the times that Jesus literally started cursing out the pharisees for being all legalistic. He intentionality healed people on a sabbath day and even told them to 'pick up their mat and walk home', because He wanted to make a point. ;)
Last edited by jelly on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Jelly wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:Um, dude, didn't you see my post about that verse? ;)

..this one?
odysseyfan1 wrote:
:-s
odysseyfan1 wrote:But when you're going out to eat, somebody has to serve you! If you (and everybody else) weren't there, they wouldn't be working. In essence you're causing them to work. :)
just.. no.. >_>
odysseyfan1 wrote:Oh, and I noticed that you didn't my answer my question.
I'm talking about the times that Jesus literally started cursing out the pharisees for being all legalistic. He intentionality healed people on a sabbath day and even told them to 'pick up their mat and walk home', because He wanted to make a point. ;)
No, this one:
The KJV (Colossians 2:16) says sabbath days. The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and chiefly to the beginning and to the close of the great festivals that they had. Festivals that we no longer have to observe. NOT Sunday, as you implied
And healing someone, is a lot different than working and stuff.

And what do you mean by "just...no"?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

odysseyfan1 wrote:No, this one:
The KJV (Colossians 2:16) says sabbath days. The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and chiefly to the beginning and to the close of the great festivals that they had. Festivals that we no longer have to observe. NOT Sunday, as you implied
...so what's the difference between the Sabbath and these other 'holy days' that you've dismissed?
odysseyfan1 wrote:And healing someone, is a lot different than working and stuff.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that he intentionally did it on a sabbath, and told the guy to pick up his mat and walk with it.. knowing that the pharisees would see that and get all mad. He wasn't just saying that it was alright to heal people, he was trying to make a point.
odysseyfan1 wrote:And what do you mean by "just...no"?
Basically that your post was so misguided I didn't even feel that it was worse an opposing argument. >_>
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

odysseyfan1 wrote:

And Romans:

The KJV (Colossians 2:16) says sabbath days. The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and chiefly to the beginning and to the close of the great festivals that they had. Festivals that we no longer have to observe. NOT Sunday, as you implied ;)
I disagree. To say that the word Sabbath (or Sabbath days--it makes no difference) doesn't really mean the Sabbath is a sidestep. Any Jew seeing that would instantly associate the word with the seventh day of the week. Notice the "frequency" progression that Paul uses:

1) Festivals (periodic holy days that happened once a year)
2) New Moons (monthly)
3) Sabbath(s) (weekly)

I think the weekly Sabbath is what Paul had in mind here. To say that, "Festivals that we no longer have to observe. NOT Sunday, as you implied" is a misreading of the text as Paul includes both festivals AND the Sabbath in things that Christians do not have to observe.

Again I repeat:
If you are fully convinced to esteem Sunday above other days as holy--great! Do so for the Lord. But as the Scripture exhorts, do not bind other Christians consciences in an area where the Bible expressly permits freedom on. :)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Dr. Watson wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:

And Romans:

I disagree. To say that the word Sabbath (or Sabbath days--it makes no difference) doesn't really mean the Sabbath is a sidestep. Any Jew seeing that would instantly associate the word with the seventh day of the week. Notice the "frequency" progression that Paul uses:

1) Festivals (periodic holy days that happened once a year)
2) New Moons (monthly)
3) Sabbath(s) (weekly)

I think the weekly Sabbath is what Paul had in mind here. To say that, "Festivals that we no longer have to observe. NOT Sunday, as you implied" is a misreading of the text as Paul includes both festivals AND the Sabbath in things that Christians do not have to observe.

Again I repeat:
If you are fully convinced to esteem Sunday above other days as holy--great! Do so for the Lord. But as the Scripture exhorts, do not bind other Christians consciences in an area where the Bible expressly permits freedom on. :)
Whoa, slow down! Who's "binding"? I asked what u thught and gave my opinion. Oh, and that plural Sabbath thing, came from John Barnes. :)u
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

We don't rush around and do a bunch of yard work or anything on Sunday. We still do stuff like eat out or go to the store, or I have friends over or something.

If we were supposed to rest and do nothing on Sunday-You wouldn't go to church.
he/him | a little stinker.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Our church meets on Sunday nights, from 4:00 until everyone leaves, in the mornings, we read the Bible as a family, and then do things like play music, read, play outside, stuff like that, until it's time to get ready for church. At our church, after the services we have a potluck meal and then the children sometimes go outside and play soccer.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I do agree with the statement that Sabbath was originally Saturday. But I do believe that at least one day a week should be spent not buying or selling and taking a rest. So if you believe that's Saturday, fine! But God wants all of us to rest, because he rested. :yes:

Our family personally has two services on Sunday (three when we have Youth service) and we all just slow down from normal everyday activities, like buying or selling or hard work.

\:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Steve wrote:We don't rush around and do a bunch of yard work or anything on Sunday. We still do stuff like eat out or go to the store, or I have friends over or something.

If we were supposed to rest and do nothing on Sunday-You wouldn't go to church.
Also it can be bad if you take it to literary. I mean to relax and stuff does that mean you have to lay in bed all day or something? just hang around? I believe in getting things done in any day. It is all a matter of preference and what you think is best in your own opinion. I usually take a little time to read my bible like I do every day rest a little then just do whatever I want ( not like anything bad but like reading watching something listening to music ETC ) for the rest of the day. I think that as long as you spend some time with God and really mean it, and you believe in him you don't have to take everything completely literally sometimes they mean different things. But that is just my opinion.