What's acceptable on Sunday?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Our church meets on Sunday nights, from 4:00 until everyone leaves, in the mornings, we read the Bible as a family, and then do things like play music, read, play outside, stuff like that, until it's time to get ready for church. At our church, after the services we have a potluck meal and then the children sometimes go outside and play soccer.
That sounds like the best church schedule ever. :)

I heartily agree with Dr. Watson. It's awesome that you guys take Sunday off as a day of rest, but just don't assassinate me because I push carts on "the Sabbath". ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

odysseyfan1 wrote:But when you're going out to eat, somebody has to serve you! If you (and everybody else) weren't there, they wouldn't be working. In essence you're causing them to work.
Exactly let's put them out of business and cause people to loose their jobs.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Ayn Rand wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:But when you're going out to eat, somebody has to serve you! If you (and everybody else) weren't there, they wouldn't be working. In essence you're causing them to work.
Exactly let's put them out of business and cause people to loose their jobs.
Is Chick-fil-a out of business? :-k

I happen to know that they are a thriving business, and the manager of one told my dad that their equipment malfunctions less because they rest it on Sundays. :yes:

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

But Chic-Fil-A is one place... if all restaurants closed on Sundays they would have less need for staffing and fewer people would have jobs. ;)

I personally think more places should be closed on Sundays, but I don't want people having less hours to make money to support their families or less people working at all, so... eh.

You can't really close EVERYTHING because some people need to travel for whatever reason, so they need food and gas stations... and prisons need guards and hospitals need staffers, etc. ;)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I believe it's okay to work on Sunday if you have a necessary job, like Top said, medical personnel, rescue workers etc. :yes:

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So God makes an exception for you if you work at a gas station? nice. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Did I say anything about gas station workers?
What I'm saying is, people will still commit crimes on Sunday. Hence, we need police officers. People will get sick and need hospitals on Sunday. I know there are sometimes situations where it's necessary to purchase gas or medicine on the Sabbath. But for me, doing that kind of job would clearly violate my conscience. So I'm not saying it's a sin for everyone. But for me personally it is.

Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

You gain no "extra points" with God by not working on Sunday. If you want to put yourself under the law of the Sabbath, as was mentioned before, it's Saturday that you need to be concerned with, not Sunday.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

IF our society did Saturday like Sunday, then fine. We give God 1 day out of the week. We should be consistent. If Saturday is your Sabbath, than treat it like Sunday. :yes:

John Chrysostom

Or we could treat all days the same and do so to the Lord.
Romans 14:5-6 wrote:One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

iluvsns wrote:IF our society did Saturday like Sunday, then fine. We give God 1 day out of the week. We should be consistent. If Saturday is your Sabbath, than treat it like Sunday. :yes:
Or you could just give EVERY day of the week to God, since that's what we should probably be doing anyways, and not worry about giving extra special treatment to one particular day since it's completely unnecessary according to the Bible itself. ;)

Really, God just wants to see you serving Him in everything you do, in all days of the week. If you want to just laze around for one day, fine... but please don't do it because you think God requires it or even desires it from you.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

We're not "lazing around" as you put it, we still do things on Sunday, but since most of the day is spent in church anyways, we don't do hard work. For instance, if we had a bunch of stalls in the barn to muck out, we would probably wait until Monday, but things like dishes, laundry, cleaning, stuff like that, we would do. We don't just sit around and twiddle our thumbs.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

....I'm sorry, but you couldn't leave barn animals in filth for a day. =P That would just be wrong... and disgusting.

Not to mention, if you're going to clean your house, then you could most certainly clean the animal's one as well. ;)
Last edited by Termite on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Jesus' Princess wrote:We're not "lazing around" as you put it, we still do things on Sunday, but since most of the day is spent in church anyways, we don't do hard work. For instance, if we had a bunch of stalls in the barn to muck out, we would probably wait until Monday, but things like dishes, laundry, cleaning, stuff like that, we would do. We don't just sit around and twiddle our thumbs.
that's nice. Now the read the rest of my post. ;)

also.. most of the day? what kind of church do you go to? O_o
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Termite wrote:....I'm sorry, but you couldn't leave barn animals in filth for a day. =P That would just be wrong... and disgusting.
Not to mention, if you're going to clean your house, then you could most certainly clean the animal's one as well. ;)

okay, you're right, bad example. (we always muck on Saturdays, so that would never happen) But what I was saying was we usually leave harder work, if possible, until Monday if we don't do it on Saturday.

I don't have a problem with people who don't believe the way we do, We have personal convictions about Sunday, other people might not.

Jelly asked that kind of church we go to, (for some reason the quote wasn't working)

We go to a home church, it starts at 4:00 and goes until around 8:30 or 9:00 (we have a potluck meal and fellowship with each other after the services) but It's takes between 45 minutes and an hour to get there, and we usually have to start getting ready by 2:15 or so, so we're not late. We typically sleep in a little bit so for us, it is most of the day.
John Chrysostom

If you had an animal stuck in a well would you get it out?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Of course I would.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

As Jesus said...it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. And technically, God gave us a sabbath day for our own good...studies have shown that people are, in a way, built to function best when we can rest one day of the week. We are much more productive during the rest of the days when you get a day off. Does it have to be Sunday? No...in school I took a break on Fridays usually. Still went to church on Sunday, but Sunday evening I had to study, so Friday made more sense to be a time of rest. And I seriously love the idea of your church, Jesus' Princess...I've talked about how there should be a church that meets at 3 or 4 and questioned why that never happens...it would seriously be awesome to do that!
We really can't force everyone to close shop on Sunday...while Christians may all be ok with it, there are a lot of non-Christians who wouldn't be happy with you taking away a day of their business...or even Jews and some Christians believe that Saturdays are the Sabbath and that Sunday shouldn't be the day of rest...so we can't force them to quit work on Sundays if they feel a conviction to take a break on Saturdays instead.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

SoccerLOTR wrote:...I've talked about how there should be a church that meets at 3 or 4 and questioned why that never happens...
The NFL. ;)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

To end all of this discussion (although I know it won't), Jesus said He is the Lord of the Sabbath! The command that God gave to rest on the seventh day in the Old Testament was a shadow that Jesus fulfilled and brought to light in the New Testament. He gives us rest. We now rest in Him! His work on the cross made peace between us and God for all eternity, so we rest in His righteousness.

Now, that said, it is still a demonstration of obeying God to keep the Sabbath holy. That doesn't mean that you can't work on Sunday, but it is further praise to God to worship Him on that one day in seven. So I don't believe it's wrong to work on Sunday--especially if it is out of necessity. Aren't pastors doing their jobs on Sundays?! So why is it wrong for restaurant workers to do theirs?