Bible Translations

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Bible Translations

Post by Lee »

So I thought this might be interesting. I'm taking several well-known verses and showing the different translations. So here 'tis!

John 3:16
KJV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

New Living Translation
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

The Message
This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.

NIV
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Phillipians 4:13
KJV
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

NLV
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

The Message
I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.

NIV
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Genises 1:1
KJV
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

NLV
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The Message (this is actually verses 1-2)
First this: God created the Heavens and Earth—all you see, all you don't see. Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness, an inky blackness. God's Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss.

NIV
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Romans 3:23

KJV
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
NLV
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.
The Message (verses 21-24)
But in our time something new has been added. What Moses and the prophets witnessed to all those years has happened. The God-setting-things-right that we read about has become Jesus-setting-things-right for us. And not only for us, but for everyone who believes in him. For there is no difference between us and them in this. Since we've compiled this long and sorry record as sinners (both us and them) and proved that we are utterly incapable of living the glorious lives God wills for us, God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ.
NIV
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Last edited by Lee on Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

\:D/
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

That is very intereting. The MESSAGE is has a very, VERY long vere for Phillipians 4:13.

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

....Yeah. You sure that wasn't the Amplified, Lee? :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

No, it was the message but may have been multiple verses. Go to www.biblegateway.com. They have all the translations. :yes:

John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I'm not a fan of the NIV, Message, or NLT, my translation is based off of the NKJV for the New Testament and St. Athanasius Academy Septuagint (SAAS) for the Old Testament.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

My youth pastor talked about the different translations for Sunday school once. He showed how different versions vary between strict translations and more interpretive.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

In my opinion, It looks like NIV is pretty close to the KJV, but I probably should read more verses. I usually use NKJV anyway. I do think the Message is a bit free with their "interpretations" of the Scriptures though.

EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Mostly I use NIV, but occasionally I use the Message. It certainly isn't the most accurate, but there are a few things I like about it.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

iluvsns wrote:No, it was the message but may have been multiple verses. Go to http://www.biblegateway.com. They have all the translations. :yes:
Yeah, since The Message is just a paraphrase that expounds on the scripture, I think it is difficult to divide it up into verses.

As part of a program at camp a number of years ago, we had to learn the differences between translations and how they're put together. The Message really wasn't intended to be a direct translation, but more of a book that you can easily read and relate to. It's good for relatability, but you need a regular version to really get the full meaning out of the scriptures.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)