What do you think of Running the Aisles?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

What do you think of Running the Aisles?

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Have you ever heard of this sort of thing? People running, shouting, praising God? I've seen it several times, but not a whole lot. Unfortunately it doesn't happen much anymore. :( Do you think people should do it? Here's a video from Youtube where you can see it.

EDIT: Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WoARyH ... re=related if you want to see a better instance of this.
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I prefer walking down that aisle, styling and profiling myself, as opposed to running.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

The Top Crusader wrote:I prefer walking down that aisle, styling and profiling myself, as opposed to running.
What do you mean by styling and profiling?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It's one of Ric Flair's catchphrases. ;)

Anyway I can't watch the videos now, as I am at work, and people would wonder what in the world I'm doing. ;) If it is what I assume it is... eh, can't say its WRONG certainly. The Lord speaks to different people in different ways and people react to their communion with God in different ways. It's not really something I would feel comfortable with, because I'm pretty laid back and cringe from panic-like running around and yelling. I think that God is a God of order and not sure that He would endorse what can appear to be mass chaos. BUT... He is much wiser than I so maybe I'm wrong. ;)

Like I said I'm just assuming what is in the video--I could have no idea what I'm talking about. ;)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

The Top Crusader wrote:It's one of Ric Flair's catchphrases. ;)

Anyway I can't watch the videos now, as I am at work, and people would wonder what in the world I'm doing. ;) If it is what I assume it is... eh, can't say its WRONG certainly. The Lord speaks to different people in different ways and people react to their communion with God in different ways. It's not really something I would feel comfortable with, because I'm pretty laid back and cringe from panic-like running around and yelling. I think that God is a God of order and not sure that He would endorse what can appear to be mass chaos. BUT... He is much wiser than I so maybe I'm wrong. ;)

Like I said I'm just assuming what is in the video--I could have no idea what I'm talking about. ;)
Yeah, we feel the same way. If you think it's pentacostolism, it's not. You'll have to watch it sometime. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I intend to, but often things I plan on doing vanish from my mind on the journey from work to home. ;)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

That video clip was amazing.

Although at our camp, at least once during the camp there will definitely be people running the aisles and praising God. It's incredible.

odysseyfan1, was that from IHC?

\:D/
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I think St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 14 pretty clearly says that God is a God of order "For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints." And I think earlier in the chapter St. Paul talks about keeping services orderly and taking turns when speaking or sharing so I think anything that adds confusion to the church service should be carefully considered.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I think that the whole running and leaping and praising God thing can happen. *nods* Though I don't know how many are filled with the Holy Spirit compared to how many are on an emotional high.
odysseyfan1 wrote:Yeah, we feel the same way. If you think it's pentacostolism, it's not. You'll have to watch it sometime. ;)
You use the word Pentecostal like it's a bad thing. :(
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

iluvsns wrote:That video clip was amazing.

Although at our camp, at least once during the camp there will definitely be people running the aisles and praising God. It's incredible.

odysseyfan1, was that from IHC?
Yeah, it was. "The Church Triumphant" was from this year, and the other from last year. :D

-- 06 May 2011 04:44 pm --
Amethystic wrote:I think that the whole running and leaping and praising God thing can happen. *nods* Though I don't know how many are filled with the Holy Spirit compared to how many are on an emotional high.
odysseyfan1 wrote:Yeah, we feel the same way. If you think it's pentacostolism, it's not. You'll have to watch it sometime. ;)
Well, we don't believe in pentacostalism partly bcuz God likes order. Plus they don't believe in the Trinity. :(
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Wikipedia article about it made me laugh. \:D/

Especially this part:
Wikipedia wrote:Opponents of this expression of worship would argue that it violates Paul's instructions on Orderly Worship found in 1 Corinthians 14:26-40, as well as contradicting the idea that one of the "fruits" of the Holy Spirit is "self control" (Galatians 5:23).
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

ric wrote:The Wikipedia article about it made me laugh. \:D/

Especially this part:
Wikipedia wrote:Opponents of this expression of worship would argue that it violates Paul's instructions on Orderly Worship found in 1 Corinthians 14:26-40, as well as contradicting the idea that one of the "fruits" of the Holy Spirit is "self control" (Galatians 5:23).
Heh, funny. :D
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
Well, we don't believe in pentacostalism partly bcuz God likes order. Plus they don't believe in the Trinity. :(
God also liked it when David went dancing half-naked in the streets. And I used to go to a Pentecostal church... they never said anything about not believing in the Trinity, to my recollection. :-k They're just your run-o-the-mill Evangelical Christians with a little extra "woo-hoo!" thrown in.
Last edited by Amethystic on Fri May 06, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

odysseyfan1 wrote:Plus they don't believe in the Trinity. :(
....where'd you get that from? >_>
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Well maybe not all pentecostals believe like that. A man in our Church, who use to be Pentecostal got some weird ideas, like that we should baptize only in the name of Jesus, which is not scriptural.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I don't like Pentecostals because they don't believe in praying.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

American Eagle wrote:I don't like Pentecostals because they don't believe in praying.
Haha, very funny. :roll:
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Does anyone want to take a crack at saying why 1 Corinthians 14 doesn't seem to apply to us today?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Wait, I'm confused here. Ayn, what's your opinion on the chapter. I'm not sure if your for or against this.
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Termite wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:Plus they don't believe in the Trinity. :(
....where'd you get that from? >_>
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but...
Wikipedia wrote: The majority of Pentecostals do not view baptism as essential for salvation, and likewise, most Pentecostals are Trinitarian and use the traditional Trinitarian baptismal formula. However, Oneness Pentecostals view baptism as an essential and necessary part of the salvation experience and, as non-Trinitarians, reject the use of the traditional baptismal formula.
Ayn Rand wrote:Does anyone want to take a crack at saying why 1 Corinthians 14 doesn't seem to apply to us today?
Well, one thing I'm not sure about is this: 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 '34Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.'

:-k

I'm not really sure why it wouldn't apply to us today, but I'm not really sure... what the reason for it is in the first place.