Hats during chuch/prayer

Different from headcoverings.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Hats during chuch/prayer

Post by DanP740 »

This is different from headcoverings. Your opinions on wearing hats (baseball caps, fedoras, cowboy hats, the hoods on sweatshirts) during church and/or while praying, male and female.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Personally, I don't think it really matters...I mean God's not making a check list of you can wear fedoras, but not cowboy hats, hoods might be okay but definitely not baseball caps..

Could you go into a little more detail on your 'question'? ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It is generally tradition that hats are removed for prayers...

Although I'm unaware of scriptural doctrine that teaches this.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

I usually wear my fedora type hat to Church on Wednesday and take it off during prayer. But I don't wear it on Sunday. I think its pretty much okay as long as you take it off while you pray. :o
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Yeah when I was Protestant it was a generally held tradition that men removed their hats during church but looking back I'm not sure where this tradition started or why exactly.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is something I've been wondering lately. In my circles, men are not supposed to wear anything covering their head when they pray. Women, however, can wear whatever they please. 1 Corinthians 11:13 asks, "Is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered?" So in that sense, the tradition makes sense.

My family believes hair is a woman's covering, though, and I have hair on my head too. :- It doesn't make much sense, but I have bigger things to worry about.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t know if it has a strictly scriptural basis, so much as it’s a customary thing. You remove your hats to authority figures and royalty, and God is the King of Kings. It’s a physical show of respect. Your heart is the important thing, you can be respecting God inwardly however you look, but baring your head is an outward sign of what you should be doing inside.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

^ I definitely agree with what bookworm said. :yes:

Look at it this way, people today still take off their hats when honoring their country...so we know removing hats out of respect is still in practice! And if people still do it, like, it's not one of those OT things that 'don't apply much' because it was in their culture, then it just makes sense that it still applies. If we're gonna honor our country with still removing our hats, I'd say we should still be honoring our God with removing our hats.

And, to be honest, by 'we' I'm taking about you guys. ;) If you remove your hat to honor God, you are honoring the instructions set in 1 Cor. So it would make sense for us girls to leave our hats/scarfs on. Now note that I don't take a scarf with me everywhere and cover my head, but when I do have a hat on, I leave it on. :-

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Honestly I think as long as you really mean what you say to God, and are focused on him it doesn't matter at all. I usually don't ever wear a hat anyway so it doesn't really matter :shrugs: ( that way it won't cover my incredibly attractive hair ;) )