May 21st, 2011

Is Harold Camping right?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Christian A. wrote:
DanP740 wrote:I calculated it myself, and the end of the world was 4 years ago. He's wrong.
Did you include the leap years? And any other time the calendar may have changed throughout history? ;)
Here're my calculations.
So these are my variables, their values, and where they came from:
A = 16.5 = my age
B = 666 = mark of the beast
C = 122112 = when the Mayan calendar says the world will end
D = 20110208 = current date
E = 38 = number of verses in Matthew 8
F = 4 = number of letters in the third word of 2 Samuel 3:34 ("were")
G = 75 = number of people in Luke's genealogy of Jesus
H = 3 = number of chapters in Habakkuk
I = 53.5 = Isaiah 53:5 ("... by his stripes we're healed.")
J = 33 = syllables in John 3:16
K = 5 = number of syllables in Nebuchadnezzar
L = 12,000 = length of the walls of the New Jerusalem in Revelation
M = 895 = years Mahalalel lived
N = 53,400 = number of the descendants of Naphtali in the army (Numbers 1:43)
O = 1000 = number of years the devil will be locked up (Revelation)
P = 176 = number of verses in Psalm 119
Q = 36 = number of Israelites killed by the people of Ai
R = 11 = Joseph's brothers
S = 7 = number of churches in Revelation
T = 490 = times you should forgive
U = 10 = plagues in Egypt
V = 8 = kings of Edom
W = 21 = the last letter in Matthew's position relative to the end of the alphabet
X = 6 = number of letters in "Xerxes"
Z = 5 = parts remaining of Jezebel when they went to bury her after throwing her out the window and trampling her with horses

And then I plugged all those values into the 25 variables in this equation:

S^2 + GH - (JAMXC + BI[T - U]) + (ZO + [ (VR/N) - Q ] * [P^2 - W^2] )
LK^2 - D(F - E^3)

Which equals Y, which is the date and time when the world will end. So putting in the values we get this big honking mess:
49 + 225 * ( [ 487327.5 * 732672 ] + [ 719.5 * 480 ] ) + ( 5000 + [ { ( 88/53,400 ) -36 } * { 30976 - 441 } ] ) / 300000 - 20110208 * ( 4 - 54872 )

Which when we work it out we get 72.807754311095610028388553463552 which I then interpret to show that the end of the world is on July 31st, 2007 at 3:43:11 am
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

DanP740 wrote:
Christian A. wrote:
DanP740 wrote:I calculated it myself, and the end of the world was 4 years ago. He's wrong.
Did you include the leap years? And any other time the calendar may have changed throughout history? ;)
Here're my calculations.
A = 16.5 = my age
V = 8 = kings of Edom
W = 21 = the last letter in Matthew's position relative to the end of the alphabet
Z = 5 = parts remaining of Jezebel when they went to bury her after throwing her out the window and trampling her with horses

LK^2 - D(F - E^3)

Which equals Y, which is the date and time when the world will end. So putting in the values we get this big honking mess:
49 + 225 * ( [ 487327.5 * 732672 ] + [ 719.5 * 480 ] ) + ( 5000 + [ { ( 88/53,400 ) -36 } * { 30976 - 441 } ] ) / 300000 - 20110208 * ( 4 - 54872 )

Which when we work it out we get 72.807754311095610028388553463552 which I then interpret to show that the end of the world is on July 31st, 2007 at 3:43:11 am
That was really funny. :rofl2:

That had to have taken a lot of time and thought. Maybe even more thought than Harold Camping put into his prediction!
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

These people that say these things are really wacked out. Jesus was also supposed to come back 9/11 of last year. :roll:
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

DanP740 wrote:
Christian A. wrote:
Here're my calculations.
A = 16.5 = my age
V = 8 = kings of Edom

LK^2 - D(F - E^3)

I guess we're just living in a post-apocolyptic world, now!

That was awesome
he/him | a little stinker.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

ric wrote:Not to start an off-topic debate but...1 Thessalonians 4:17.

Basically, if you say you don't believe in the Rapture, you're just saying you believe in a post-trib Rapture, right? :-k
Huh?

I dont' believe in anything like a rapture. I believe CHrist will come back in the clouds, and everyone is going to see it. I also don't believe that when you die you go to heaven or hell. That one I find even more ridiculous. But on the idea of the rapture, Jesus states he will come back with all his glory and everyone will witness it. What use is there to come back to the earth if you rapture everyone and you got to heaven or hell when you die? o.0

Even though I don't see this as TOO off topic. We are talking about the rapture still. The heaven and hell thing we can leave alone if you want.

EDIT: That verse doesn't say anything about a rapture.
"After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. "
About how after he comes down to the earth, those who didn't die from the site of Christ will be lifted into the clouds to meet with him. AFTER is the key word. :D Just saying! Because as I have seen and heard, all who are Christ's followers will go to Heaven instantly - and everyone who isn't worthy and sinned and stuff will stay on this earth. The trouble is staying on this earth, apparently.

I can't see it because of all the other evidence the Bible states.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:

Basically, if you say you don't believe in the Rapture, you're just saying you believe in a post-trib Rapture, right? :-k
Huh?

I dont' believe in anything like a rapture. I believe CHrist will come back in the clouds, and everyone is going to see it. I also don't believe that when you die you go to heaven or hell. That one I find even more ridiculous. But on the idea of the rapture, Jesus states he will come back with all his glory and everyone will witness it. What use is there to come back to the earth if you rapture everyone and you got to heaven or hell when you die? o.0

Even though I don't see this as TOO off topic. We are talking about the rapture still. The heaven and hell thing we can leave alone if you want.

"After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. "
About how after he comes down to the earth, those who didn't die from the site of Christ will be lifted into the clouds to meet with him. AFTER is the key word. :D Just saying! Because as I have seen and heard, all who are Christ's followers will go to Heaven instantly - and everyone who isn't worthy and sinned and stuff will stay on this earth. The trouble is staying on this earth, apparently.

Where do you think we're going then?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

May 21st? Dang, a friend of mine was planning on having her birthday party then. :( She was really excited about it.

And I strictly abide by the Left Behind canon universe on matters such as these. :noway:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:

Huh?

Where do you think we're going then?
Think we're going?

Huh? I think I need a little bit more elaboration on that. Seeing as not everyone in the world believes in going to heaven or hell when you die or the fact that there is a rapture - or one to come.

From what I believe, death is just sleep. And those who have gone to sleep will rise from the dead when Christ calls them from the grave when He comes back, at His 2nd Coming. No one can escape that 2nd Coming. Everyone will see it. Even though the earth is round, everyone will see it.

A rapture - that doesn't make any sense when you read the Bible. Why would everyone go to Heaven before Christ even gets a chance to come a 2nd time? I thought that is what he promised. He would return a 2nd time.

So, I'm not confused about what I believe. I'm confused about how anything else can be said if it can't be explained from the Bible.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ll be very interested to see two things.
1) How Mr. Camping is going to explain why nothing happened. (Since he supposedly isn’t even considering the possibility that he’s wrong I wonder how long it will take him to formulate a response.)
2) How long it take them to get their billboards down. I imagine they’ll want to hurry with that to avoid looking foolish.
I don’t listen to his radio station, but I think I will on the 22nd to see what their broadcast sounds like.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I think they have a station here too, so I may listen in a little. Especially afterwards...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is already so much fun. ;) I studied the reasons behind his prediction, and they're pretty far-fetched. They truly require faith to believe in; not faith grounded in the Bible, but faith in this "prophet's" historical date setting (particularly the Flood).

Camping believes that May 21st is somehow 7,000 days from the day of the Flood, and this is his other proof:
Wikipedia wrote:1. 5 equals "atonement", 7 equals "completeness", and 17 equals "heaven".
2. Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.
3. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days, the result is 722,449.
4. The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.
5. 51 added to 722,449 is 722,500.
6. (5 × 10 × 17)^2 or (atonement × completeness × heaven)^2 also equals 722,500.
Good grief. \:D/ Hopefully when this is over, his followers will leave his teaching, but not Christianity altogether.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It goes against my denomination but I think I basically agree with DAM here... at least at a glance. \:D/

I could maybe go for "post trib rapture" if you consider the second coming of Christ when the dead in Christ shall rise as a sort of rapture. >_>

But I do not believe that all Christians will be whisked away at the onset of the Tribulation. :noway:

I'm also inclined to give credence to the heaven/hell issue but I see that has its own topic. ;) So I will leave that out of here for now! :x Really, varying scripture indicates different things on that topic. The two issues do kind of tie together, though.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Top Crusader wrote:But I do not believe that all Christians will be whisked away at the onset of the Tribulation. :noway:
Good, because I don't either. It's really just wishful thinking.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Then when do y'all believe the Rapture will happen, assuming you do? :-k
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I...don't really know. I'm thinking maybe in the middle of the tribulation. Or after. Or maybe there is no rapture. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Then what about 1 Thessalonians 4? And 1 Corinthians 15? :-k

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Yup, but as DAM stated earlier, 1 Thessalonians 4 really isn't talking about a rapture. It's just saying that we'll go up to Heaven after those who are asleep go up to Heaven.

And the 1 Corinthians verse...that can also be interpreted many ways. That's why I'm not sure.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Yes, but what about 1 Thess. 5:9 which says we won't be left to suffer wrath? If we stay behind, we'll be in the full Tribulation period. Plus, Revelation 3:10 says the same basic thing...

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

No, that's wrong; it doesn't say 'we won't be left to suffer wrath.' It says we won't suffer wrath. I don't think it would be that hard for God to keep us from suffering wrath while we're still here on Earth.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

You mean the wrath of the the twenty-one judgments?