May 21st, 2011

Is Harold Camping right?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

bookworm wrote:Maybe Camping isn’t a preacher, just a bookie.
May 21st was the 136th running of the Preakness Stakes. The winning horse was Shackleford. The jockey? Jesus Castanon.
If it ended at 6:00 PM, that would be total epic win...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I know! It didn't though. It may have been in the hour of 6 in some time zone, but it would have been more toward 6:45 as I recall.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Camping had a press conference for his show tonight, and he's saying now that the end is October 21st, which is the same as before, just that the rapture didn't happen. But at least they're not going to advertise it then...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I heard the big news story yesterday was that Harold Camping was quoted as being "flabbergasted." He said that he's spending time in prayer and in counsel with close friends to try to figure out what went wrong. My advice would be to seek counsel from people other than close friends so that he's getting some real, Biblical counsel.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

What makes me sick is that he claims to be "preaching what the Bible says" and that he was not wrong, just mistaken on the day. He totally ignores the verses that say no one can know the day or hour. And people are still following him and listening to him to tell them what to do next! This just breaks my heart! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1JJIK7.DTL
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

DanP740 wrote:Camping had a press conference for his show tonight, and he's saying now that the end is October 21st, which is the same as before, just that the rapture didn't happen.
I thought he might try to go that route, but then I decided even he wouldn’t be that stupid. It only makes a logical excuse on the surface. If you think about it even for a moment it falls apart.
He had an acceptable case built for May 21. He had a formula, and that’s what it pointed to. Where did October come from? It was counting from that date in May. No one would have a date in October at all if there wasn’t the prediction in May. So to go ‘well it’s really October then’ is ludicrous and has no basis. Nothing pointed to October except May. If May was wrong, nothing is happening in October. ](*,)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

He just became post trib maybe?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That’s the only explanation I can think of. If he now says May was not the Rapture, but it was still the start of the five months of tribulation, making October the end of the world and the ‘real’ Rapture.
But that still isn’t an acceptable explanation, because he said May was the Rapture, no doubt, Bible guaranteed, revealed by God. He is now Biblically a false prophet and has no business speaking. (Or at least people have no business listening to him.)
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Found this website earlier today with a collection of a number of comments he's made...he's even more of a jerk than I thought, along with proving again that he is NOT a God-ordained prophet.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/2 ... k3%7C65028

Refusing to help those he's led astray and caused to become broke and jobless? DOESN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO BE A CHRISTIAN TO BE SAVED?! Then he says that we as humans are not capable of understanding the Bible? Isn't he the one who just told us that the Bible was clear as day and the "end times" were clearly written for all to understand?!

And his explanation for the lack of earth destruction on May 21st? "the great earthquake didn't happen on May 21 because no one would be able to survive it for a few days or let alone five months to suffer God's wrath."

Righhhhhhhhhhht....
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Okay, I will say this: even though he's nuts and a lot of those comments were absolutely hysterical, he's in no obligation to help those stupid enough to throw away their money. :P Seems harsh, but it's true. Too many people just took his word for it instead of searcing for facts- and if they had, they might have stumbled across anything referring to the first Thessalonians verse (that is the one saying no one knows the day, right? hmm...) and if they were smart enough to put two-and-two together, well this guy who follows the Bible missed this verse.

"What luck for leaders that men do not think." -Adolf Hitler

I'm in no way excusing his behavior, but every person is responsible for himself and what he believes, not some loon predicting the apocalypse. Therefore, Mr. Camping is not responsible for what others do based on his comments.
Last edited by Termite on Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

A reporter asks him "then why keep predicting the end?"
Camping stops the questions and says he has run out of time.
He thanks the crowd for not asking anything "embarrassing."
:roll:

I’m keeping tabs on the numerous websites that were about May 21 to see what they do.
One is still the same, one is now offline, one removed all information except a message to stay tuned for an explanation of why nothing happened, and one has been updated to say the Rapture did indeed happen, and if you’re reading the site you were left behind. (But that last one is just a joke, they’ve been selling shirts for all this.)

And the billboard is still across from my college.
bold4god
OK

Post by bold4god »

Termite wrote:Okay, I will say this: even though he's nuts and a lot of those comments were absolutely hysterical, he's in no obligation to help those stupid enough to throw away their money. :P Seems harsh, but it's true. Too many people just took his word for it instead of searcing for facts- and if they had, they might have stumbled across anything referring to the first Thessalonians verse (that is the one saying no one knows the day, right? hmm...) and if they were smart enough to put two-and-two together, well this guy who follows the Bible missed this verse.

I'm in no way excusing his behavior, but every person is responsible for himself and what he believes, not some loon predicting the apocalypse. Therefore, Mr. Camping is not responsible for what others do based on his comments.
also, it says somewhere, in the Bible, (I do not remember where) that you should test all teachings by the Bible, even things that your pastor or someone you belive to be blessed or led by God, have said.

My friend was talking about wanting to spray-paint the billboards so they said, May 22, then 23, then 24, and so on and so forth!
Last edited by bold4god on Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I thought the verse says to test spirits...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Ah, thank you. Yeah, those verses do tie into this whole situation.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I don't know if this was mentioned in the link soccerLOTR linked (I haven't read it...) but my mom said that Camping said that even asking to be saved is a work, and since you can't be saved by works, you just kinda have to hope...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Termite wrote:Okay, I will say this: even though he's nuts and a lot of those comments were absolutely hysterical, he's in no obligation to help those stupid enough to throw away their money. :P Seems harsh, but it's true. Too many people just took his word for it instead of searcing for facts- and if they had, they might have stumbled across anything referring to the first Thessalonians verse (that is the one saying no one knows the day, right? hmm...) and if they were smart enough to put two-and-two together, well this guy who follows the Bible missed this verse.

I do agree that people should think for themselves, research, test his teachings, etc, and I believe they were irresponsible in what they did. However, Harold Camping seems to be very convincing, and if you've followed his radio program for some time (and read the Left Behind books), I can see how people would be hardcore convinced that he is right...he DOES use scripture (thoughbeit somewhat selective) that he can point to those who don't know their Bibles well enough to refute him, and, while foolish, these people were naive and acting according to how they have been misled...and when you want very badly to believe something, it is difficult to convince you otherwise--so if they were excited for the rapture and wanted it to happen very badly...I can see them getting carried away and allowing themselves to slip on vigilance. So, I do believe they have some blame...but Harold Camping isn't innocent either, and if he were really following God, I think he'd take some responsibility for what he did, help those in need, and change his focus. But for someone who believes that the end of the world is near and preaches to others that they should have faith in God, he doesn't seem to trust God to take care of him...sounds completely lacking in generosity on a personal level, as well as with his radio station.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Just drove down that road by my campus. Their sign is still up. :roll:
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Mark 13:32-35 - " But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (33) Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. (34) For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. (35) Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:"

If the Bible says that no man knows the day, then anybody that sets a date for the Rapture is being foolish and is going against the Bible!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Yeah, Camping pretty much doesn't care. If you try to ask him that he'll either ignore you or say that he's out of time for questions...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011