May 21st, 2011

Is Harold Camping right?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Let's get it to 200,000,000 views before the end of the world! :x

This'll be my last trip to the bank, garage sale visit, breakfast at Big Boy...

...aww man, I'll be working when the world ends. :( This'll be a fun day!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:So, since this is the last Friday ever, I feel that it's only right that this is watched one last time...
I actually had a bowl of cereal this morning.
iluvsns wrote:He said 6:00 PM central time Saturday.
He actually says it’s 6:00 local time. In other words, it will take place across the world time zone to time zone, not all at once. In other other words, if people just keep traveling left they’ll gain extra hours.

Christian A. wrote:where in the Bible do we get those numbers?
The number 3 signifies God’s purpose.
When the Bible writes about Christ being crucified, the number 3 is featured about 15 times: 3 crosses, 3 apostles, 3 denials by Peter, etc. All of these 3’s are emphasizing it was absolutely God’s purpose that Christ be crucified.

The number 5 signifies the atonement or redemption.
This is seen, for example, by the ½ (.5) shekel atonement money which pointed to the atonement. Exodus 30:15 declares: “The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when they give an offering unto the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls.”
It is seen by the 5 shekels being a picture of redemption, as demonstrated in Numbers 3:47-48: “Thou shalt even take five shekels apiece by the poll, after the shekel of the sanctuary shalt thou take them”

The number 10 or 100 or 1,000 signifies completeness.
For example, the Bible speaks of 10 coins or 100 sheep or 1,000 years. God speaks of Satan being bound 1,000 years in Revelation 20:2-3. However, from much additional Biblical information we know he was bound between the years 33 A.D. and 1988 A.D. These 1,955 actual years are symbolized by 1,000 years. The Bible speaks of Him being bound 1,000 years to signify that He was bound for the completeness of God’s plan, which actually was 1,955 years.

The number 17 frequently signifies “Heaven.”
For example, in Jeremiah God describes the destruction of Judah and Jerusalem by the king of Babylon. This was typifying the end of the church age, at which time Satan, typified by the king of Babylon destroying Jerusalem and Judah, would rule in the churches. In that seemingly hopeless context Jeremiah was instructed to buy a field for the purchase price of 17 shekels of silver. God instructed Jeremiah that this purchase of land for 17 shekels was done as a guarantee or demonstration that the time would come that Israel would again occupy Jerusalem.

The number 23 points to destruction.
This is demonstrated in at least two significant citations in the Bible. One citation records a destructive plague that God sent upon Israel because they began to worship a heathen idol called Baal. As punishment we read in Numbers 25:9: “And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.” Significantly the Bible makes reference to this same plague in the New Testament. We read in 1 Corinthians 10:8: “Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.” Notice God reports the destruction of 24,000 in the Old Testament and 23,000 in the New Testament. This is not a contradiction. A total of 24,000 persons were destroyed, of which 23,000 were destroyed in one day. This highlights the number 23’s association with destruction.
Another emphasis of this association of the number 23 with God’s wrath is found in Daniel 8. There God speaks of a time (which we now know is the first part of the Great Tribulation) lasting 2,300 days, during which Satan would rule over the church and the world as God begins to bring destruction upon the churches, preparing them and the world for Judgment Day. We read in Daniel 8:13-14: “Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot? And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.”
And here’s another problem for him, he blatantly contradicts the Bible right on his website:
He will not come upon them as a thief in the night.

SoccerLOTR, thanks for that website! Whoever made it is awesome. This page alone got them my respect.
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

The Bible says that NO man knows the day or hour of his return

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

If nothing else perhaps the extreme website traffic will help them overcome the humiliation when nothing happens. I am currently unable to even load their page. They have to be making money off this somehow.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Honey Wheeler wrote:The Bible says that NO man knows the day or hour of his return
BUT Harold Camping is no man... he's an angel sent to tell us the day...

Doesn't that sounds logical? \:D/
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

"Jesus is coming back on Saturday!" It seems I've heard this before somewhere...hmmm. ;)
ric wrote:Yup, but as DAM stated earlier, 1 Thessalonians 4 really isn't talking about a rapture. It's just saying that we'll go up to Heaven after those who are asleep go up to Heaven.
Umm, that's the definition of the word "rapture." The English word "rapture" comes from the Latin word "rapiemur" which is used in the Latin Vulgate translation of 1 Thessalonians 4:17, to translate the Greek word harpazo, which simply means "a catching away."

In other words, in order to not believe in a "rapture," you have to not believe in 1 Thessalonians 4:17, which is where the word is found.

Jeremy
Last edited by Jeremy on Fri May 20, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Aww man! I have to retake my learner's permit test tomorrow! What a waste of time! #-o
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

All we need is for one of our East Coast ToOers to post around 6:10 if they’ve had an earthquake or not. Then the rest of us won’t have to worry about anything.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Or, I'll tell you at 6:10 p.m. my time if I'm still alive, and I WILL SAVE THE WORLD.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Actually, I'm pretty certain that I've heard him say that since the Bible doesn't mention time zones, that it will occur at 6:00 PM all around the world. Not all at the same time. How he figured out "Six PM" from the word of God, I have no idea. Maybe that was the exact time Jesus died 700,520 days ago, or whatever it was. :D

EDIT: Oh, sorry bookworm, I just looked up and saw that you already posted that.
Last edited by Christian A. on Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Christian A. wrote:Actually, I'm pretty certain that I've heard him say that since the Bible doesn't mention time zones, that it will occur at 6:00 PM all around the world. Not all at the same time. How he figured out "Six PM" from the word of God, I have no idea. Maybe that was the exact time Jesus died 700,520 days ago, or whatever it was. :D

EDIT: Oh, sorry bookworm, I just looked up and saw that you already posted that.
But since the time zones (starting with the International Dateline) are all man-made, then how do we know when it's "really" supposed to be 6 PM May 21?

Jeremy
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

Joanne wrote:
Honey Wheeler wrote:The Bible says that NO man knows the day or hour of his return
BUT Harold Camping is no man... he's an angel sent to tell us the day...

Doesn't that sounds logical? \:D/
Not to me. I believe the Bible and that's that!

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
Steve

Post by Steve »

Jeremy wrote:
Christian A. wrote:Actually, I'm pretty certain that I've heard him say that since the Bible doesn't mention time zones, that it will occur at 6:00 PM all around the world. Not all at the same time. How he figured out "Six PM" from the word of God, I have no idea. Maybe that was the exact time Jesus died 700,520 days ago, or whatever it was. :D

But since the time zones (starting with the International Dateline) are all man-made, then how do we know when it's "really" supposed to be 6 PM May 21?

Jeremy
Right. God didn't make the time-zones.

Wow. Camping is failure. #-o
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I'll post for ya'll at 6:10. ;) But if we're saved we don't need to worry. Right?

\:D/
Steve

Post by Steve »

iluvsns wrote:I'll post for ya'll at 6:10. ;) But if we're saved we don't need to worry. Right?
Then don't bother posting. I can't wait for the 22nd. \:D/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

The danger is here...

God IS coming back. The danger is: People will joke about this when it doesn't happen, and when we begin to see more end-times events unfolding, they won't believe it and be ready for the real return of Christ. :( I feel really bad for all the people who've believed this. They'll think Christianity is a fake. :( It's very sad really.

\:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah, well, everyone who is truly a Christian really needs to act like one... and those people WILL see a difference. They may try to play it down mentally with whatever excuse they can make, but they will see it.

This reminded me of something someone once said at a dance practice a few years ago: she does not call herself a Christian anymore, because that title is tainted beyond belief. When people ask her what her 'religion' is, she answers 'a disciple of Christ', or something close to that.

*cough* Uh, that's my wisdom for the day. ;) Nothing really relative, but there you go.
Last edited by Termite on Fri May 20, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

According to my calculations, only a little bit over an hour until this starts happening in New Zealand.

fixed double post - aussie aio fan
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

This is all very insane.

And though it is fun to joke about it, I feel that we should hold some restraint. I mean, Jesus really could come today.... you never know. However, since this whole prediction thing is going on, I don't think it will happen.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

By now, everything in the Eastern World from China to New Zealand (which is alread in May 22nd) has passed 6 PM, and nothing has happened, to my knowledge. India is going to experience the time in ten minutes, and I don't expect anything to happen as the world continues turning.