PHC - Clarification

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

SoccerLOTR wrote:See, what I don't understand is the whole "leggings makes it modest" idea...because if leggings or shorts are what makes it modest, why can't you just wear those and scratch the skirt, which just adds layers?
By the same logic, Soccer, if you wear pants, there's possibility they could fall down to show your underclothing,right? So I suppose that means pants aren't necessary either. :noway: the leggings are a guard. Not clothing to be with without a skirt. ;)

Sorry for intruding on the conversation... I just had to point that out.

\:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Wait, but bifurcated garments on men could ALSO fall down, so by Lee's logic, men too should be wearing skirts just in case. Or at least kilts. ;)
Last edited by Sherlock on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

No, the reason girls wear skirts is so that the genders are definite. And yes I know in the Bible men wore robes. ;)

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lee wrote:No, the reason girls wear skirts is so that the genders are definite.
I don’t understand this statement. Last I heard, clothes weren’t what determined a person’s gender. :-k
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Just wearing leggings, no... but if the pants fit right, they won't fall down. And if they're a bit loose all one needs to do is wear a belt or layer with a camisole so there's no chance that if they do sag a bit anyone could see anything. ;)

Oh, one might think that wearing a skirt is more modest than pants, but then one might also realize it's a heck of a lot easier for a male to take advantage of if he wants to... just sayin'. :P
Last edited by Termite on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really don’t see the advantage of a dress or skirt over pants from a modesty standpoint.
(That’s ‘over’ as in ‘compared to’, not ‘over’ as in physically worn over.)
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Termite wrote:Just wearing leggings, no... but if the pants fit right, they won't fall down. And if they're a bit loose all one needs to do is wear a belt or layer with a camisole so there's no chance that if they do sag a bit anyone could see anything. ;)
my pants have certainly never fallen down, nor do I see why skirts would be any more secure than pants. Unless by "skirts" you are referring to "dresses". And I wear loose t-shirts for the most part, so they definitely come down past the top of my pants...so I've never needed to be concerned about any of my midsection showing.
Termite wrote:Oh, one might think that wearing a skirt is more modest than pants, but then one might also realize it's a heck of a lot easier for a male to take advantage of if he wants to... just sayin'. :P
:lol: true story. Which also brings up the topic...self defense. Can women learn self-defense if they are stuck wearing skirts? Looking at some of the techniques I've learned from martial arts, there is NO way you could do them while wearing a skirt, much less modestly while wearing a skirt. It sounds easy to say "just kick, run, and scream", but practically that doesn't always work for example if it's a big guy, you miss the target--or if you are defending someone else who isn't as able to run (kids?). So how can you really learn to kick well without getting tangled up in skirts? Or how can you go to any sort of class in a skirt? (sorry, starting to come from the police perspective here)
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I'm not going to try to deny that skirts could hamper movement in some cases. ;)

But I think we could discuss this for pages and not convince one another of anything. I have worn a skirt or dress or hospital gown or baby clothes ( I was much younger then. :lol: :p ) for every day of my life since I was born and I feel that's God's will for me. I'm not saying it is for everyone, but if I did, I would violate my conscience. And once you go back on one thing God had told you, it's much much easier to disobey Him in other areas as well. Bottom line: Ask God what He wants you to wear and obey His leading. Not real complicated if you ask me! :)

Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

Lee wrote:I'm not going to try to deny that skirts could hamper movement in some cases. ;)

But I think we could discuss this for pages and not convince one another of anything. I have worn a skirt or dress or hospital gown or baby clothes ( I was much younger then. :lol: :p ) for every day of my life since I was born and I feel that's God's will for me. I'm not saying it is for everyone, but if I did, I would violate my conscience. And once you go back on one thing God had told you, it's much much easier to disobey Him in other areas as well. Bottom line: Ask God what He wants you to wear and obey His leading. Not real complicated if you ask me! :)
Amen, sis!
Love You, Lee! :hug:
We'll love you forever, SnC. Thanks for showing us how to be so Strong in Christ. :hug:
I love you... Anne, Sapphire, IDANCE, Joanne, Mimi, Laura, and especially dear Lee. :hug:
And, my wonderful guy friends are: AE, Regis, ric, Marvin, Whitty Whit, and thegreenringc!

"I May do silly things, but I do them with enthusiasm!"
"A Day without Laughter is a day wasted."
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

Check out the free, fun, and fantastic shop: Express Yourself By Alyssa!

You know me..always ready for a chat! ;) Send me a PM soon, whether I just met you, know you well, haven't talked to you in a while, or haven't met you at all!
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Alyssa wrote:
Lee wrote:I'm not going to try to deny that skirts could hamper movement in some cases. ;)

Amen, sis!
Thank you, Aly. :hug: At least a few people agree with me.

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

True story. Despite our disagreements, I will agree that we should do what God has called us to, and I respect your desire to follow what God has called you to...as long as you don't try to convince me that they are good and more proper than pants... ;)
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Lee wrote:And once you go back on one thing God had told you, it's much much easier to disobey Him in other areas as well. Bottom line: Ask God what He wants you to wear and obey His leading.
For those of you who are reading the "PHC: Questions Answered" topic, this is what I was trying to say in regards to standards. If you have a personal conviction, and then you disobey God, then it starts a downward spiral into other sins. Thank you Lee. :)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Lee wrote:And once you go back on one thing God had told you, it's much much easier to disobey Him in other areas as well. Bottom line: Ask God what He wants you to wear and obey His leading.
For those of you who are reading the "PHC: Questions Answered" topic, this is what I was trying to say in regards to standards. If you have a personal conviction, and then you disobey God, then it starts a downward spiral into other sins. Thank you Lee. :)
So let me see if I get this right. Here's a hypothetical situation:

What if my personal conviction (it's not) is that I have to see girls in pants, so whenever I see one in a skirt, I hand her a pair of pants and command her to put them on (in a bathroom of course). I believe that God has told me that. So if I meet Lee, for example, I hand her a pair of pants and command her to put them on. If I don't do that, I'm going against what I believe is my God-given conviction and sinning. But if Lee puts the pants on, she's going against her God-given conviction and sinning. So who's right?

That's why I think this God-given conviction stuff can be a little dangerous sometimes. We always have to go back to the Word--not what we think God is telling us.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Christian A. wrote:That's why I think this God-given conviction stuff can be a little dangerous sometimes. We always have to go back to the Word--not what we think God is telling us.
This is the quote of the century. Well the later half of it. Because that is what every good reformation has started on. It does not matter if you wear skirts or pants. All of that is petty details. We need to stand united or we are disobeying God. I still think a lot of you are wrong when it comes to Theology. (And I know you think that about me.) But what would a Non-Christian think if they read this thread? We may be the only Christ people see. Live it.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Christian A. wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
So let me see if I get this right. Here's a hypothetical situation:

What if my personal conviction (it's not) is that I have to see girls in pants, so whenever I see one in a skirt, I hand her a pair of pants and command her to put them on (in a bathroom of course). I believe that God has told me that. So if I meet Lee, for example, I hand her a pair of pants and command her to put them on. If I don't do that, I'm going against what I believe is my God-given conviction and sinning. But if Lee puts the pants on, she's going against her God-given conviction and sinning. So who's right?

That's why I think this God-given conviction stuff can be a little dangerous sometimes. We always have to go back to the Word--not what we think God is telling us.
I'm sorry, but I can't imagine God ever telling someone to do that. :P And of course we have to go to the Word. That's what we're doing. The Bible tells men not to wear women's clothing and vise versa so we don't do it. Pants have always been considered men's clothing until recently. I believe a lot of the influence of this was from Hollywood, and we don't follow Hollywood styles. :)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

That's why there are women's pants, as there were men's tunics back in the day. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

*headdesk*

Here we go again... ](*,)

Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Termite wrote:That's why there are women's pants, as there were men's tunics back in the day. ;)
Exactly. And there were men in tights in the Middle Ages. And Irish men frequently wear kilts. So why are they allowed to "dress like women" but it's not good for women to "dress like men" by wearing modest pants?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

This is happening. http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&p=970860#p970725 And you guys are arguing about pants... Something is incredibly wrong. Stop talking and start walking.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Way to tell us to start walking when you're the one condemning us for having a friendly discussion. ;) I'm sure most people have seen the thread. I did, and I prayed. I will do so every time I see it or remember. However, there's nothing wrong with strengthening your own beliefs by bouncing them off someone else.
Love you always, SnC