PHC - Clarification

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Knight Fisher wrote:Um there are ads on this website...
There are no ads on this website.

-- 05 Sep 2011 02:26 pm --
Christian A. wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:It's just the occasional little green text ones for me.
That used to happen all over the web for me, but I haven't seen any of the green text ads in a long time.

But, Luke, if you want to see ads, go to Marvin's blog: http://www.theaiofanslife.jigsy.com. It always has ads running across the top of the page, and some of them can actually get quite inappropriate. :anxious: But he has no control over them, so don't blame him. ;)
I haven't really visited some of the fan blogs in like...a long time. I haven't even updated my own blog in a while, so... :anxious:

-- 05 Sep 2011 02:27 pm --
Aeva wrote:Hey, OF1, I have a question. (I promise I am not trying to be snarky, but I have been dying to ask this question for a while now.)

Do any of the girls in your denomination play sports? I'm just curious because I love soccer, and it would be a tad bit uncomfortable to play soccer (or other sports such as basketball, volleyball, or tennis) while wearing a skirt.
Yeah, they play sports. :) Especially like softball and volleyball.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

odysseyfan1 wrote:Yeah, they play sports. :) Especially like softball and volleyball.
What about soccer, hockey, and football--any of the more foot-movement and/or more contact type sports? How does a skirt not hinder their running ability? What happens if they fall? Don't skirts tend to...immodestly scoot up a bit in awkward falls, nullifying the point of wearing skirts to begin with? What about horseback riding? Can they ride motorcycles?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I play sports in skirts, mostly volleyball and soccer, those are like the sports in our church and area. I do play football, basketball, ultimate, and softball sometimes, and usually I just wear leggings underneath my skirt and I'm fine. Also, my skirt is usually long enough that it's not really a problem :)
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Though I am not a girl so I probably won't have much experience about skirts to begin with.... IDK I have two sisters who play sports competitively and they usually perform well when they wear shorts or anything comfortable to help them move around easier in. I mean I for one never saw any girl in my track team who ran with a skirt on, because like how SoccerLOTR said, it would hinder their movement. And this doesn't just refer to girls but guys too. Even the best male runners at my highschool wears short shorts himself (he just wears leggings under it so it doesn't show thigh).

If your playing for fun though thats probably a different story.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Well, as Jesusftw said, they're usually long enough that it's not a problem. ;) I don't know anybody, much less any Holiness people that play hockey. The boys are usually the ones that like to play football. And I only know, like, one or two Holiness people that have motorcycles. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just not that big of an interest. Same with horseback riding, though Peachey Keen's family used to have horses big enough to ride. :D
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

you sure about that? Maybe the only reason girls don't play football in your denomination is because they have to wear skirts and it is frowned upon for girls to like something that is typically a "male sport"? And supposing that someone DOES have horses...which I'm SURE at least a few in your denomination have, what do the girls do?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:you sure about that? Maybe the only reason girls don't play football in your denomination is because they have to wear skirts and it is frowned upon for girls to like something that is typically a "male sport"? And supposing that someone DOES have horses...which I'm SURE at least a few in your denomination have, what do the girls do?
I don't know of any girls that are real interested in playing football, let alone Holiness girls. :) Like I said, Peachey Keen used to have horses big enough to ride. He has two sisters. You just get on and ride them I suppose. :lol: I've never had horses so I don't know. What did people use to do before women wore pants? :-k
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I work at a place where there's a zipline, and, since it's a Christian science museum, they're sensitive to the fact that there will be some more conservative families coming, so the policy is that girls that go on the zipline must wear pants, not skirts. They state that the policy is because they don't want to deal with modesty issues (mischevious boys trying to stand under the zip line, etc.) Girls are asked to either wear pants to the museum or bring pants to change into when they are ready for the zipline after the tour. What's your view about that?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Let me tell you one thing, unless it's side saddle it is IMPOSSIBLE to wear a skirt while riding a horse, unless it's a huge one like I had for dance that isn't 'clothing' as it's really full and would make me owned by the wind. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

It's not impossible per se, it just sort of defeats the purpose of modesty when your skirt is pushed up to the length of short shorts. :P I personally have always wanted a split skirt...I think it would be neat. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I know girls who wear skirts all the time who just make it work. Sometimes they wear shorts or leggings underneath for warmth or modesty reasons, but they have played soccer (you actually can have an advantage - use the skirt to stop the ball! :lol: ), ridden horses, and ridden on ziplines in skirts. With the skirts the camp the zipline was at was used to people coming in skirts and they had a way of pulling the skirt through that kind of made shorts that could work with the harnesses needed for the zipline. I almost never wear a skirt myself, but for people who do it every day, they just make it work.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yeah, when you're used to it....it's not really all that big of a deal. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Yeah, it took me a long time to get used to it. :(
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

See, what I don't understand is the whole "leggings makes it modest" idea...because if leggings or shorts are what makes it modest, why can't you just wear those and scratch the skirt, which just adds layers?

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

So for us, it's not that leggings make it modest, it's that when your playing sports like volleyball, soccer, or whatever, there's kind of a potential that your skirt could hike up or something, so we wear leggings underneath just in case. Its usually not a problem anyhow, because my skirts are long and loose enough that it doesn't matter :) but there have been a few times that someone was glad they wore them
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

But...it still means that it is acceptable to be seen in shorts, if perhaps the skirt were to hike up...{sighs and drops subject}

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:but they have played soccer (you actually can have an advantage - use the skirt to stop the ball! :lol: )
:hilarious: That’s the real reason.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:but they have played soccer (you actually can have an advantage - use the skirt to stop the ball! :lol: )
:hilarious: That’s the real reason.
That would be awesome to watch. :lol:
he/him | a little stinker.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Well, if you can't ride a zipline without compromising your convictions and your modesty, then you don't ride it. :)

I don't believe I've ever seen someone's skirt fly up. That just doesn't normally happen. Especially when, as someone mentioned, they're long and loose enough. Just because it's a skirt doesn't mean it's modest. :yes:

-- 03 Oct 2011 08:59 pm --

Ooh, forgot to mention. I was at a big Holiness event on Saturday and they did have a horse ride. Yes, girls were riding the horse. (It was a pathetic horse ride, a guy just led the horse around the parking lot, but still...) :D
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

odysseyfan1 wrote:Well, if you can't ride a zipline without compromising your convictions and your modesty, then you don't ride it. :)
That would be a bummer...very unfair...and I'll be quiet now before I say anything wrong. :-k
odysseyfan1 wrote:Ooh, forgot to mention. I was at a big Holiness event on Saturday and they did have a horse ride. Yes, girls were riding the horse. (It was a pathetic horse ride, a guy just led the horse around the parking lot, but still...) :D
How were they riding? What did they do with their skirt?