Paul McCusker a Catholic?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Paul McCusker a Catholic?

Post by Parker Family »

Read Article Here
Not that I'm against him being a Catholic (its his life after all)... but I just always thought he was a Protestant :headscratch:
It seems that he converted in 2007 ... Which would mean he has been one for 4 years and I didn't know :(

Discuss now
Last edited by Parker Family on Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Does it really matter, as long as he is firm in his faith?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Knight Fisher wrote:Does it really matter, as long as he is firm in his faith?
Not really ...

but he changed from Baptist to Anglican to Catholic ... so I wouldn't call it firm... (but then again who am I to say what firm is?)
Last edited by Parker Family on Tue May 31, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Ladies and gentlemen: Here's Paul McCusker attempting to be C.S. Lewis. Again. :roll:

I don't think he's very firm in his faith, and it's also kind of odd for him to complain that no other denomination knows church history like Catholics. I know plenty of church history!!

I wonder if Focus is going to keep him on as an employee or if they'll drop him because of this. Though, he has been on for the last 2 1/2 years, so let's see what happens.
he/him | a little stinker.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Is he officially on staff? I can't keep track. >_> He seems to just sort of do free lance type things.

But yay he is like Newt Gingrich. >_>

Post by 31899 »

So what, people change churches.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Some would say it is a different religion. >_>

I'm not sure that I would go that far, but it is a significant difference from mainline protestant Christianity.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I'm with 38199 here...people change churches and denominations, whether it be because they agree more with one, or feel more comfortable in one, or just learn better through that church's way of teaching. And if what Parker Family said is accurate, I think it makes sense and does show a firmness in belief. He probably grew up or converted in the Baptist tradition and stayed there for quite a while, though being interested in church history and maybe attracted by the traditionalism of Catholics, he was drawn in that direction. Anglican is kind of a middle ground between Catholic and Protestant, so it seems he tried out that for a while, but found that Catholicism works better for him. I don't think all Catholic churches are bad, and there are many Catholics who are Christians. I've known people who have grown significantly in their faith by switching to a Catholic church--and I also know the reverse--people who have grown by switching to a protestant church from a Catholic tradition. I don't necessarily agree with all the beliefs, but I have found that beliefs even between Catholic churches can vary--some more Christian, others not.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It's definitely not a different religion. And I don't think its right to switch. But who are we, we don't know his situation.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Knight Fisher wrote:It's definitely not a different religion. And I don't think its right to switch.
I would want to call it another religion that has close ties to Christianity, but if nothing else, at its best, it is a cult, plain and simple. Not part of the "occult", but a cult.
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Steve wrote:Ladies and gentlemen: Here's Paul McCusker attempting to be C.S. Lewis. Again. :roll:
Sad, isn't it? :sick:

Next thing he'll do is to legally change his name to C. S. Lewis and get plastic surgery done so he looks like him. :oops:

Post by 31899 »

There are two things wrong with this thread.

The first is that there is bashing of another denomination. Just because they do not believe the same thing as you does not give you the right to insult them. Believe it or not there are a lot more similarities between Catholicism and Protestantism then there are differences.

The second is that there is bashing of another believer. This one should be even more straight forward than the first.

I will see no more of this. This is a non-denominational board and should be treated as such.

rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

31899 wrote: Believe it or not there are a lot more similarities between Catholicism and Protestantism then there are differences.

While I'm not going to start a big debate - Catholicism is not just another mere denomination - it is a religious system which has it's base in paganism and is totally un-Biblical.

Catholics believe in salvation by works.
Catholics believe you are "born again" by being baptized as an infant.
Catholics believe in the absolute authority of a human being (the pope) over the church.

Catholics believe that submission to the pope is essential to salvation
“We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff.” (Pope Boniface VIII, the Bull Unam Sanctam, 1302.) (Quote taken from a Catholic website)

Catholics believe that no one outside the Catholic church can be saved
"No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church.” (Pope Eugene IV, the Bull Cantate Domino, 1441.)

Catholics believe in praying to dead people - Mary and other "saints" who are dead - which is idolatry.
Catholics believe that the bread and juice in communion literally turn into the body and blood of Jesus (transubstantiation)
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Let me make something clear before things get out of hand...

I was only asking whether anyone knew that Paul McCusker was a Catholic because I didn't know till recently. As stated before, I am not against him becoming a Catholic (after all its his life). Whether or not you people wish to debate it, its up to you, but this was not what I intended...

My apology to everyone for not making it clear,

Sincerely
~Parker Family

Post by 31899 »

Both of your quotations are before the reformation. The Catholic church was pretty much the only church then. I suggest you go and read up on modern Catholicism ;) I would also like to remind you that there are solid Christians on this board that happen to belong the the Catholic denomination.

Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

31899 wrote:Both of your quotations are before the reformation. The Catholic church was pretty much the only church then.
What about the Eastern Orthodox Church?

Jeremy

Post by 31899 »

Oops, I forgot about them. Did you ever here of the crusades? Basically the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church hated each other. (If I am remembering my history correctly, I'll look it up when I have time, but they didn't like each other for some reason). People are better at getting along now.

Last edited by 31899 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickyderocher

Post by rickyderocher »

31899 wrote:I would also like to remind you that there are solid Christians on this board that happen to belong the the Catholic denomination.
How can you be a "solid Christian" and pray to Mary and other dead people? :oops:

Post by 31899 »

Being a Christian has to do with A) Believing that Jesus died for us and arose from the dead. B) Living it. (Faith without actions is dead). [To put to uber basic points]
Everyone makes mistakes and is misguided at some point or another, and not all Catholics pray to Mary. There are many who are greatly opposed to such things.

Last edited by 31899 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

31899 wrote:Being a Christian has to do with A) Believing that Jesus died for us and arose from the dead. B) Living it. (Faith without actions is dead). [To put to uber basic points]
Everyone makes mistakes and is misguided at some point or another, and not all Catholics pray to Mary. There are many who are greatly opposed to such things.

Agreed. There are many Catholics who do not pray to Mary or the saints. And even many that do--clarify that they are not praying to Mary as if she is equal to God--but they have the view that she is closer to God/Jesus and can therefore help intercede for us, so they think Mary will pray for them. This contradicts the Bible in that it says that Jesus is the one who can intercede for us and we can go straight to Him now without anyone else. However, despite the inaccuracy of that belief, it isn't blasphemous, nor does it make Mary into some sort of god.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)