Spiritual Gifts

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
No way I broke the window

Spiritual Gifts

Post by 31899 »

Spiritual gifts seem to be something that isn't really focussed on in the church today. It would also appear that those that do happen are only one or two of those Paul listed. What is your opinion on the matter?

Last edited by 31899 on Tue May 31, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Well let's see...
1 Corinthians wrote:Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Yup, I've met people who've demonstrated these gifts, so they're definitely still around. I think that all Christians can (and likely should) be moving in all of these abilities to some degree, but different people receive different 'gifts', that one spiritual ability that they have a natural aptitude for. So long as the faith and guidance is there and they haven't been hijacked by some ungodly spirit, everyone should be exhibiting one of these at least.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Well not necessarily everyone. Yes they still happen. But not that I'm saying you are. Don't doubt someones faith if they don't.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Yes, everyone. There are two types of Christians in the world: the believing believers and the non-believing believers. If more believers believed in God's promises there'd be a lot more miracles going down in this day and age.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Do people even know what spiritual gifts they possess?

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Well I should think it would become evident over time as their spiritual maturity grows. Plus, there's always the Holy Spirit present to help guide the person.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:Well I should think it would become evident over time as their spiritual maturity grows. Plus, there's always the Holy Spirit present to help guide the person.
I agree. I think we develop the gifts over time and should always be seeking God to have Him reveal it over time. And I definitely believe that the passages in scripture regarding spiritual gifts still hold true--even for the gifts that some Christians think are obsolete. I've known someone with the gift of prophesy, and another couple with tongues. I think many Christians don't have some gifts nowadays because they refuse to acknowledge the existence and pass it off as "well, that only happened in Bible times". As a result it becomes less and less common, and leads to fewer and fewer Christians believing it and accepting those gifts. And even for the less obvious gifts (like wisdom), it seems people don't seek God to enhance it because it's just considered one of their particular traits, rather than a spiritual gift to be used. :cry:
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Unfortunately, wisdom too is a dwindling gift. :(