Communion

Closed or Open?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Communion

Post by John Chrysostom »

So a recent topic and some discussions with friends brought up an interesting question. Should churches practice open or closed communions? Closed meaning only members of that church or denomination are allowed to partake. Open meaning all Christians regardless of denomination may partake. Now if you believe in open communion I would ask you to clarify a bit and talk about whether there should there be any limits, i.e. would you be okay with a Catholic taking communion with you? Or another denomination you feel have significant differences from you?
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

We have closed Communion in my denomination just because the rather specific nature of what we believe regarding the nature of the sacrament gives it a significance that requires one share the same faith in order to partake in. In the instances where I've attended other services, I've declined to participate with them out of respect for that denomination's particular beliefs and because I believe communion is a practice between members of a church who share the same theological beliefs. This has never really caused any major issues between myself and my non-Catholic friends, but I can see how between various very similar denominations (who share the same beliefs regarding what communion is) it could seem somewhat confusing.

As a side-note, I haven't yet had my coffee this morning, so this is all a bit stream-of-consciousness writing. ;)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Well... anybody who is right with God can partake in the Lord's Supper... :anxious: We are supposed to remember it. It may feel awkward partaking of it in someone else's church. But that's just me. :P So no, it's not inherently wrong to have open/closed communions. If the church wants to have a closed communion, that's up to them.. As long as they do it biblically and properly.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Well we take Communion very seriously. Because we believe it is Jesus' very body and blood. So we practice closed Communion. But Communion is not only vertical. (Between the person and God.) It also is horizontal. Thus we only have Communion with those who share the same beliefs. If someone believed that for example it isn't truly the body and blood of Jesus and bread and wine. They would be taking Communion wrongly. Here is the insert that is in the bulletin each Sunday we have Communion.
Holy Communion is celebrated each[or every other depending on the church] Sunday at [blank church] in the glad confidence that our Lord, as His Words say, gives not only bread and wine, but also His true Body and Blood for us to eat and drink for the forgiveness of sins. Our Lord invites to His table those who believe He is really present, repent of all sin, and set aside any refusal for forgive as He forgives us. When we receive Holy Communion, we publicly declare our agreement with the teachings of the church from which we receive it. Accordingly, if you are not yet a member of this congregation, a sister congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (or a Lutheran church body in full fellowship with the LCMS,) or if you have not previously spoken to Pastor about Holy Communion, we would ask that you please refrain from coming forward to receive Communion until you have first spoken with Pastor. Or the elders.
Closed Communion has been practiced since day one of the church. This is a good article I found while looking stuff up. http://www.trinityashaway.org/framed/commune.html

And the old. How many Lutherans does it take to change a light bulb? None we don't change because God's word does not change. And our light never goes out. Please don't let this topic get into a big fight. ~Knight Fisher
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Knight Fisher wrote:Well we take Communion very seriously. Because we believe it is Jesus' very body and blood. So we practice closed Communion. But Communion is not only vertical. (Between the person and God.) It also is horizontal. Thus we only have Communion with those who share the same beliefs. If someone believed that for example it isn't truly the body and blood of Jesus and bread and wine. They would be taking Communion wrongly. Here is the insert that is in the bulletin each Sunday we have Communion.
Holy Communion is celebrated each[or every other depending on the church] Sunday at [blank church] in the glad confidence that our Lord, as His Words say, gives not only bread and wine, but also His true Body and Blood for us to eat and drink for the forgiveness of sins. Our Lord invites to His table those who believe He is really present, repent of all sin, and set aside any refusal for forgive as He forgives us. When we receive Holy Communion, we publicly declare our agreement with the teachings of the church from which we receive it. Accordingly, if you are not yet a member of this congregation, a sister congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (or a Lutheran church body in full fellowship with the LCMS,) or if you have not previously spoken to Pastor about Holy Communion, we would ask that you please refrain from coming forward to receive Communion until you have first spoken with Pastor. Or the elders.
Closed Communion has been practiced since day one of the church. This is a good article I found while looking stuff up. http://www.trinityashaway.org/framed/commune.html

And the old. How many Lutherans does it take to change a light bulb? None we don't change because God's word does not change. And our light never goes out. Please don't let this topic get into a big fight. ~Knight Fisher
I might be wrong here... but that first part, KF, sounds a little creepy? It isn't in reality. It's supposed to be representing His body and blood. If it was actually His blood.. there's a verse somewhere in the Bible that condemns eating/drinking blood. I think. :anxious:
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
John Chrysostom

Well Whit, Lutherans, Catholics, and Orthodox all believe that Communion is literally the blood and body of Christ.

John 6:54-56 "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him."

And yes KF brings up a good, don't let this get into a big fight. I was mostly curious to hear from different denominations and learn what their practices are.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Ayn Rand wrote:Well Whit, Lutherans, Catholics, and Orthodox all believe that Communion is literally the blood and body of Christ.

John 6:54-56 "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him."

And yes KF brings up a good, don't let this get into a big fight. I was mostly curious to hear from different denominations and learn what their practices are.
I'm not trying to fight. ;)
#FOREVERKITTY
John Chrysostom

Sorry didn't mean to say you were, just agreeing with KF and articulating my reasons for starting this thread.

But to clarify, you said "If the church wants to have a closed communion, that's up to them.. As long as they do it biblically and properly." What in your mind would be a biblical and proper way to practice closed communion.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

As long as they don't have a feast like... the Corinthians did. And as they do it the way Christ ascribed.

Edit: Oh yeah, check the How old is the earth thread when you get a chance.
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
#FOREVERKITTY
John Chrysostom

How did Christ ascribe it?

I hadn't realized that post was for me, I'll take a look at it now.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Yes we believe it truly is his body and blood. Because we take Jesus at his word. As I learned it there are 3 main views. 1 It is bread and wine and is transformed into his body and blood. (Transubstantiation. Mainly believed by the Catholics.) It is bread and wine and his body and blood. (Real Presence. Mainly Lutherans. This is where Luther and Zwingli were arguing for 3 days. And in the end Luther wrote with either a knife or chalk, "This is My Body." And walked out.) And its signifies his body and blood. (Representation. A lot of people.) Obviously I believe Real Presence to be the truth. Jesus said. "This is My Body." He didn't say this signifies. He said it was. That is my basis.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

My church is open communion, which is in agreement with my stance. I don't get how you would have to demand that people agree with every last detail of the church practices in order to partake of communion together. I would be fine taking communion with any of you here...if you are a genuine born-again Christian, you should be able to take communion. I see it as more of a between-you-and-God thing..."drink in remembrance of Me"...not a horizontal thing that includes those with whom you are standing. Just my opinion.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
John Chrysostom

Would you be okay with taking Communion with a Mormon?
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

No, I would not agree with that...but I do not believe Mormonism to be a Christian denomination.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

John Chrysostom

What about a Catholic?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Ayn Rand wrote:What about a Catholic?
Technically, Catholicism isn't a Christian denomination... :P
#FOREVERKITTY
John Chrysostom

Well that's just rude.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Catholic I would be fine with, provided they were still born-again Christians. I don't agree with the Catholics who are so just because they grew up in a Catholic home...though the same goes for Protestants--any Christian--who isn't sincere in their faith.

John Chrysostom

Hmm well one question then; how do you define born-again?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Ayn Rand wrote:Well that's just rude.
No it wasn't. And it's still true.
#FOREVERKITTY