The Church

Necessary or Nice?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

The Church

Post by John Chrysostom »

Does a Christian need to be part of the Church, whatever form you think that may take, or can they individually live a Christian life apart from any church?

For example could Joe read his Bible, pray to God, never participate in a church body and still be a Christian?

Or what if Bob did everything Joe did but he listened to a sermon from a church he likes online every Sunday but never did anything beyond that?

Can we be individual Christians?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

No we cannot as the Bible clearly states. We need fellowship with believers.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

That's possible. But you wouldn't be a very good Christian. See below.

Yes. Joe could still be a Christian.

Bob would still be a Christian, yes.
Knight Fisher wrote:No we cannot as the Bible clearly states. We need fellowship with believers.
Not just that, KF. God also tells us that we need to grow in Him. We can grow in Him by going to a godly church. Now in some cases, people may not be able to find a good church, so in that instance, they shouldn't go to a "church". A church is the body of believers. The church building is where they gather.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Ehem.

Last edited by Knight Fisher on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Ahem.
Myself wrote: Not just that, KF. God also tells us that we need to grow in Him. We can grow in Him by going to a godly church. Now in some cases, people may not be able to find a good church, so in that instance, they shouldn't go to a "church". A church is the body of believers. The church building is where they gather.
There is not just 1 sole purpose in going to church.
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I never said there was. But it is a sin not to gather with believers. And all believers will want to. (I forget the verse. I memorized it over a year ago.)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Knight Fisher wrote:I never said there was. But it is a sin not to gather with believers. And all believers will want to. (I forget the verse. I memorized it over a year ago.)
But I got the impression you did. I never tried to imply/say that it is a sin. And I know that.
#FOREVERKITTY
John Chrysostom

No there isn't just one purpose, there are many, but the coming together is important and has been the practice since day one.
Acts 2:41-47 wrote:Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
The Church is necessary for doctrine and fellowship.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Ayn Rand wrote:No there isn't just one purpose, there are many, but the coming together is important and has been the practice since day one.
Acts 2:41-47 wrote:Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
The Church is necessary for doctrine and fellowship.
Yeah. That's what I'm saying. And KF's I think is saying that too. He's just emphasizing the fellowship part.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Yeah I was emphasizing fellowship because that's the one thing you can't get watching a sermon on tv. (Well besides non-prosperity gospel. Those guys get on my nerves.)

Post by 31899 »

When did not going to church become a sin?

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

31899 wrote:When did not going to church become a sin?

Nope, no way I am getting into that debate. Not happening.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

lol. I didn't say that.
#FOREVERKITTY
John Chrysostom

“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. Belief in Christ means obedience to Him and in this passage from John, Christ is telling us to partake of the Eucharist, which must be done in the Church. And we see from Acts that from the very first day the Apostles did this.

Post by 31899 »

Whitty Whit wrote:

lol. I didn't say that.
You didn't, Knight Fisher did.
Ayn Rand wrote:
“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. Belief in Christ means obedience to Him and in this passage from John, Christ is telling us to partake of the Eucharist, which must be done in the Church. And we see from Acts that from the very first day the Apostles did this.
I don't understand how what I said relates to what you said.

John Chrysostom

I'm saying that the Church is necessary for living the life Christ commands us to live and to go against that would be a sin.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I think it depends on how you define "church". We are commanded to be a part of the Church (body of believers), but I don't think church (as a Sunday morning service) is mandated. We should definitely gather together...we strengthen each other, challenge each other, worship together, serve together...but I wouldn't say we have to do it in the organized sessions that it has become.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
John Chrysostom

What do you mean the organized sessions it has become? What do you think the Church in Acts did?
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

The Church in Acts did what I was describing...fellowship, worship, prayer...What I mean is that you don't have to follow a scheduled meeting at a certain building to be a part of the Church. If I gather with fellow believers on the streets in Detroit to pray and worship instead of Sunday morning in the stained-glass church building, I am not doing wrong. If I serve with other believers and volunteer to help others instead of attending a Wednesday evening church service, I am not doing wrong. If I gather together with other believers for a Bible study at my pastor's house instead of going to Sunday school, I am not doing wrong. Church, as defined in the Bible, is the Body of Christ. Church is where believers are together--not the building or the service that is labeled as "church".
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
John Chrysostom

I agree those are all great things to do, yet in Acts it makes a point of saying "So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house" doesn't this seem to indicate that the temple is an important part of the Apostles daily lives? I totally agree the Church is the Body of Christ, but doesn't St. Paul in 1st Corinthians say God is a God of order, and wouldn't that seem to indicate the need for order not just meeting in the streets?