The Simple Things

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
No way I broke the window

The Simple Things

Post by 31899 »

Sometimes as Christians we often forget the small parts of love. We often don't realise or even care to think about how one small thing can impact someone else. We as Christians need to do the small things, so every Tuesday for one year I will be posting one small challenge. No one should feel obligated to do this, it is simply if you would like to. Challenges will vary and might be a bit outside of ones comfort zone sometimes, but sometimes loving people is outside our comfort zone.

Challenge One: Hold a door for someone.

It's often the simplest things that mean the most.

Last edited by 31899 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ique
Found

Post by ique »

I like this idea! I'll be staying tuned!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

31899 wrote:Challenge One: Hold a door for someone.
I just did that this morning at the Library. And I do it every day on campus. Just about everyone does actually, it’s a pretty polite place. :)
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I like your idea 31899! I'll be following this thread.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for the reminder, 31899. :) This theme fits in well with the most recent AIO album! Holding doors for others is a kind way to show regard for others, even strangers.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Thank you for the reminder, 31899. Holding doors open for people is just one way we can show love to others. :)
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

True story...I'll be following.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)

Post by 31899 »

Wow, it's Tuesday already.

Challenge Two: Ask someone who appears to be struggling with something if they require assistance and provide assistance if they say yes. This could be anything from helping someone carry something to giving someone directions. Please be careful if you confront a stranger.

Last edited by 31899 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

That's a good one, I should try it. I'm very shy, so asking someone if they need help, especially if I don't know them very well, isn't exactly part of my comfort zone.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Does it count if they ask you first?
Someone in my networking classed asked me for help learning subnetting because he’s struggling with it and knew I wasn’t, and I helped him.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

You know what's REALLY fun? Hold a door open for some one and as they are approaching it slam it in their face real quick! \:D/

I only do that to friends, though, no strangers. :(

But yeah I like this topic so far, cool idea.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Wow I just happened to do both of those today.

I usually help people with homework at school because for some strange reason they think I'm smart but I hardly ever happen to think or have the chance to hold a door open for someone. I just happened to do that the last period of the day.

Post by 31899 »

Sorry, life has been hectic.
bookworm wrote:Does it count if they ask you first?
Someone in my networking classed asked me for help learning subnetting because he’s struggling with it and knew I wasn’t, and I helped him.
That's up to you. It is essentially the same thing, minus identification. It's not about counting, but about loving others.
The Top Crusader wrote:You know what's REALLY fun? Hold a door open for some one and as they are approaching it slam it in their face real quick! \:D/

I only do that to friends, though, no strangers. :(

But yeah I like this topic so far, cool idea.
:lol: Oh Top, you make my day better.

I did not find an opportunity to do last week's challenge :(, this probably has something to do with hardly ever leaving my room this past week. After this one I will release the next challenge next Friday.

Week Three Challenge: Compliment someone you are not particularly fond of, or perhaps gets on your nerves. Be genuine in your compliment, find good things in them, as hard as it might be.

Last edited by 31899 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

That, 31899, is a good challenge. Personally, I need to be challenged to do that.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Good idea! I'll try it. Nicely written, 31899!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's a tough one, but definitely a worthwhile one! I especially like the way you specified that it should be genuine. That's vital for this to really be worthwhile.

Post by 31899 »

We need to change to a metric time system.

Week Four Challenge: Write someone a letter/send an electronic message to someone you would not normally/do not normally write a letter to. Take time to do this and put thought and care into to the message.