Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus (video)

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Ayn Rand wrote:Finished, done, complete, except for that whole rising on the third day, staying around for 40 days after that appearing to the Apostles and Disciples and then ascending into heaven after telling us to go out into the world. Yes His work was finished on the Cross but there's a lot left for us to do, Christ never said we are done.
Don't forgot going to North America and preaching to the Native Americans who were really a lost tride of Jews and... well, nevermind.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

That was... goofy. That whole video seemed rather corny and a little overproduced... It made me want to read "Cat in the Hat..."
he/him | a little stinker.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Not Red Fish Blue Fish? That book gets so neglected..

Goofy how, Steve? :)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I don't know...

The guy seemed like a failed slam poet. And it just felt very... "2012." Like after about a year, everyone will look at and go,"Well! Wasn't that dumb!?"
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Steve wrote:I don't know...

The guy seemed like a failed slam poet. And it just felt very... "2012." Like after about a year, everyone will look at and go,"Well! Wasn't that dumb!?"
Steve wrote:That was... goofy. That whole video seemed rather corny and a little overproduced... It made me want to read "Cat in the Hat..."
Same here! The message was okay. But the thing was kinda... dis-interesting. Kind of like the FotF ad of John 3:16
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

I think it would have been more effect without the rhyming, is that what you mean?

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

^ I agree. It's not a "poem", it's more like a modern rap.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Kings Daughter wrote:I think it would have been more effect without the rhyming, is that what you mean?
I actually agree with this. The video was pretty great, but my only criticism is that he seems to dumb down phrases and points just to make them rhyme.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Exactly! It makes Christians seem cheesy! Like we have to sound like a poet all the time! And take everything with a grain of iambic pentameter!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Steve wrote:Exactly! It makes Christians seem cheesy! Like we have to sound like a poet all the time! And take everything with a grain of iambic pentameter!
And trochaic trimeter and whatnot :-

The only good rhyme was the one about being known as a Christian by your Facebook, but other than that. .lamesuace :|

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Okay, wow, watch this interesting response:

http://youtu.be/Ru_tC4fv6FE

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Oh. My. Goodness.

Another kind-of poem? It was really. .boring. And I don't agree with a lot of it, but. . .

There are a LOT of these coming out.

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

I know there are a lot of these coming out, this one just caught my eyes as a good debative response.

John Chrysostom

Post by John Chrysostom »

I saw that and agreed with everything said, what did you not agree with Gaius?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I don't want to debate, but I'll just say that, first, it's Catholic, and so that provides a start. Just like the verse at the end, but that's another subject. .

"What if I told you that Jesus loves religion
And that by his coming as man he brought his religion to fruition"

Jesus loves. .religion. I don't exactly understand what that would mean. This is why I don't like the term 'religion'. A relationship is what helps make what you believe, to some extent, religion. And then it says that Jesus brought his religion. I don't believe Jesus had a 'religion' and he brought it into the universe.

"See His religion is the largest worldwide source of relief
For the poor, the hungry, the sick and repentant thief."

Again, it says "His religion". Jesus did not have a religion, he was God. Why would God have some religion in which he worshiped. .what? Himself? If I were to use the term religion, it would be as Jesus setting up a religion for us to follow.

"So as for religion I love it, I have one because Jesus rose from the dead and won.
I believe When Jesus said IT IS FINISHED, His religion had just begun."

When Jesus died and resurrected, we had access to Him directly. It started a true relationship with God, but I do not believe that when he finished it, religion began. On the contrary, there was no longer any more sacrificing, and the old testament was void. The new testament was used.

And of course, that's what I think =P

John Chrysostom

Well I can see where you're coming from, that makes a lot of sense. I think that the main problem with both videos is that they don't define religion which is problematic since they're both primarily about religion.

I don't think the video had anything specifically Catholic in it, yes it was a priest but I think what he said could have easily been said by someone from most denominations.

I think that this video specifically was using religion to refer to the church militant.

One last question to help me understand where you're coming from. Do you think Christ established a physical Church here on earth?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

True, neither defines what religion is, which doesn't help much.

What do you mean as a physical church?

John Chrysostom

By physical Church I mean a united group of believers who devoted themselves to the Apostles’ teachings that they received from Christ and that the Apostles then went on to appoint successors to continue these teachings and doctrines.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Well, I believe that Jesus came, chose a group of disciples/apostles, who followed him for 3 years and learned from Him, and after they He was gone, with the help of the Holy Spirit, they continued to teach others. So basically, what you said.

But I don't believe he came and set up His religion.

John Chrysostom

So how would you define religion?

I would define it as a group devoting themselves to a set of teachings and practices.