Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus (video)

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

ric wrote:That's why I hesitate to say he was a Jew. Jesus existed before Judaism was ever conceived. Jesus is the base of Judaism. God wasn't just like "Yo Jesus, you wanna go down and die on a cross? I'm thinkin that would really work with the whole Judaism thing I've got goin." No, Judaism was just a stepping stone (a VERY ESSENTIAL STEPPING STONE THAT IS STILL RELEVANT TODAY) to God's ultimate plan centered on Jesus. And you can call that ultimate plan the fulfilled Judaism, in fact, it totally makes sense. It just seems slightly confusing to me, but whatever.
That's because you're still missing the point. It isn't really up to you to decide whether you think Jesus was a Jew or not.. because he simply was. He was descended from David; his entire heritage was Jewish, and he couldn't possibly have been anything else because otherwise none of the people he was trying to minister to would have listened to him. His utmost priority was setting the Jews on a straight path, and remind them that his plan extended to ALL peoples. The reason there's such significance in the fact that he broke cultural boundaries when he took the time to talk to a Samaritan woman is because he was making a point, and he could only make it because he was a Jewish Rabbi who would otherwise never have anything to do with Samaritans or women! And maybe we should stop using the word 'Judaism', because in your mind you have it restricted to some ancient religion that is no longer of any relevance. But God doesn't see it that way. The Jews - His chosen people - are still His priority.

We like to take Jesus and make him all culturally relevant to fit our own ethnicity and heritage, but the fact of the matter is that Jesus came to earth as the promised messiah the Jews had long expected, and the Jews the focus of his entire ministry. It's more than simply admitting that he was a Jew, it's understanding that his Jewish heritage defined him.
Last edited by jelly on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Ethnically Jesus was a Jew, and religiously He was a Jew. Until He died and was resurrected, there was no other religion that could save anyone through righteousness. What else could Jesus have practiced?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jelly wrote:We like to take Jesus and make him all culturally relevant to fit our own ethnicity and heritage, but the fact of the matter is that Jesus came to earth as the promised messiah the Jews had long expected, and the Jews the focus of his entire ministry. It's more than simply admitting that he was a Jew, it's understanding that his Jewish heritage defined him.
I understand this. I'm not trying to make him "all culturally relevant." I understand that the Jews were the focus of his entire ministry. Obviously I'm just not making myself clear, so let's just be done.

edit: I don't know how we even got on this topic. I think you and I probably agree about religion. According to the true meaning - "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power" - we should be very religious, and Christianity is a religion, and Jesus was religious and had a religion. But the modern meaning that is often used by the layman - a bunch of rules you have to follow in order to make yourself good so you can end up in a good place when you die - is the complete opposite of Christianity.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

We can all be happy that the video wasn't called "Why I hate Jesus, but love religion"!
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I don't know how we even got on this topic. I think you and I probably agree about religion. According to the true meaning - "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power" - we should be very religious, and Christianity is a religion, and Jesus was religious and had a religion. But the modern meaning that is often used by the layman - a bunch of rules you have to follow in order to make yourself good so you can end up in a good place when you die - is the complete opposite of Christianity.
Totally agree with this.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Anna><> wrote:We can all be happy that the video wasn't called "Why I hate Jesus, but love religion"!
Anna, always the insightful one. \:D/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I forgot to mention it, but this guy was on ABC Nightline on Thursday because of this.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

And he has a new movie about sexual healing. They showed it in youth ministry on sunday. It's pretty bad. :-
Steve

Post by Steve »

I wish somebody would kick this guy in the shins. He's making me feel like an idiot.
he/him | a little stinker.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Pip wrote:And he has a new movie about sexual healing. They showed it in youth ministry on sunday. It's pretty bad. :-
What makes it so bad? :-s
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Steve

Post by Steve »

Jelly wrote:
Pip wrote:And he has a new movie about sexual healing. They showed it in youth ministry on sunday. It's pretty bad. :-
Becaue it's made by this guy.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

And everything this guy does is bad?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Steve

Post by Steve »

DanP740 wrote:And everything this guy does is bad?
Well have you SEEN his videos?!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jelly wrote:
For one, it's super long, for two, he's a bad poet. Other than that, it's great. \:D/
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oh, and the cheesiness destroys any impact it could have had in the first place.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The rhymes are so annoying. .that I lose any and all interest :p Blimeycow's videos are waaay better. Hands down./
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Hey, I've read very little of this thread but, I wanted to share a couple things.

First of all, I watched quite a few of his videos before this exploded and (as a poet) I think he's a great poet. But, too each his own, I guess. :-

Secondly, this video pretty much sums everything up perfectly.

Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ