Divine intervention in your life

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Divine intervention in your life

Post by bookworm »

I’m someone who sees God working in everyday occurrences. You know, in the way something works out, or in the timing of when something happens. Things some may call coincidence, but I believe are divinely directed. (That’s not to say I don’t believe in coincidence, I do. I don’t think absolutely everything is being specifically directed to happen, but I regularly feel certain events that I experience have more to them than just chance.)

I want to share some particular instances from my life, and then if anyone else has some from theirs they can share here too.

One place where I definitely feel God working is when I’m driving. There are two specific occurrences I want to post about, the first has been happening for quite a while and the second just happened a few nights ago and was what prompted me to start this thread.

I am a very safe driver, but I have to admit that I sometimes go faster than I should. Not speeding at all, but faster than might be considered prudent. For example, when the road is wet you should go slower than usual in case it’s slippery, but I don’t always do that. I really should, especially since we live out in the country so there are lots of hills and curves, but I just don’t usually think about it.
But for the past several months I’ve noticed a recurring incident. Whenever there have been conditions where I should slow down but haven’t, like rain or fog, before I’ve been driving for long someone pulls out of their driveway in front of me and starts driving slowly, forcing me to slow down as I follow them along.
Most people may be frustrated at this kind of thing, but I actually appreciate it. I believe God put them there right then to get my attention and remind me to be careful.

The other story needs a little background. I have glasses, but I don’t wear them too much. I probably should, but I don’t. I’m getting better, I wear them much more often than I used to, but the point is I don’t wear them constantly it depends on what I’m doing. However I do usually wear them when driving, and always when driving in the dark.
A few nights ago I had to drive to the neighboring city for something. I started over and everything was fine, until it started getting dark. I reached for my glasses, and realized I somehow forgot to bring them. I had to decide if I wanted to keep going, because I knew by the time I headed home it would be pitch black. It’s not unsafe for me to drive without my glasses, but it’s uncomfortable. I can still see at night, but not as well as I’d like. I decided to continue on, only because what I was going to was important. If it wasn’t, I would definitely have turned around.
I got to my destination fine and later that evening started back home. Everything was going okay, except for one thing that had been bothering me the whole way. As I knew it would be, the night was extremely dark. And as I got close to home, in the country, the street lights ended. I was worried about one particular turn that was coming up. There was a side road I needed to take to get home, but it was tricky enough to see in the dark with my glasses, I had no idea how I was going to find it without them. As I approached the general area I knew it was at, I slowed down and looked around trying to make something out. What happened then just made me shake my head and smile. Up ahead, a vehicle pulled up on the side road that I needed to turn onto and stopped at the stop sign. I knew the intersection was where their headlights were. And I knew God put them there just then to literally light my way.

If you don’t already, I encourage you to see God in the little things in your life. Even if they are just coincidences, having this mindset makes you feel good.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

God does care about the little things in our lives, and it's great that you're recognizing God's hand at work and sharing about it! We forget God's "little" acts too often. God is good. :)

You reminded me of something I did yesterday - I accidentally turned into a bus only loop near a local mall! I saw the "buses only" sign just as I turned, and then it was awkward to exit and I felt really stupid, but thankfully, there were no buses nearby, low traffic, and no cops nearby. It was a silly mistake on my part that I hope not to make again, but I was definitely thanking God that I didn't cause an accident or get ticketed for my mistake!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Good example Catspaw, when you do something wrong but realize and correct it before anything bad happens. :yes:
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I found out last minute today about some paperwork that I had to get in...I tried for quite a while on getting it, but they closed and it didn't get sent where it needed to go. I called the person it had to go to and explained and he was very understanding, which was the opposite of what I expected.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)