Denominational Q&A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Denominational Q&A

Post by John Chrysostom »

I was reading through the "PHC Questions Answered" thread and thought it was a very illuminating and popular, over 30 pages, discussion. I was thinking that it might be interesting if volunteers started similar threads about their own denomination. I think that the issue of ecumenical dialog is an important one and there tends to be a lack of knowledge about the varied denominations that often gets in the way of working together and hampers any dialog or discussions.

If this is an acceptable idea to people we might say that the volunteer write a brief introduction giving a brief account of their history, a brief background on their denomination, and provide links to more resources for those interested in learning more. The floor would then be opened for questions.

What do you think? I know I would like to learn more about all the various denominations.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I think this would be a great idea.

However, my denomination is virtually identical to the PHC one and so it would be rather pointless to start a topic on it. :) I agree with odysseyfan1 on almost everything he has said in the thread.

I would like to see some other denominations represented though. It would be interesting.

\:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Lee wrote:I think this would be a great idea.

However, my denomination is virtually identical to the PHC one and so it would be rather pointless to start a topic on it. :) I agree with odysseyfan1 on almost everything he has said in the thread.

I would like to see some other denominations represented though. It would be interesting.
But still, please compile and list what your main beliefs are.

At least, that's what I think AynRand is asking for people to do. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Sounds great. :yes:

I'd do it, but I'm pretty much non-denominational. I have some personal convictions about 'ecumenical' things, but they don't really hold to any denomination in particular.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I'm a Southern Baptist conservative. I highly doubt I'm the only one here, so I'm not sure how many people would be really curious as to how it works.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I'd consider doing this but I am tired of being bashed for my beliefs by other Christians. (Not just on here.) And seeing as basically no one on here agree's with me I'm not doing it without some support. But I do look forward to seeing someone else do it.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Yeah; I'm worried that it might turn into my interpretation instead of what the denomination really is.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
John Chrysostom

My suggestion would be that each volunteer, everyone doesn't need to do this, start a new thread and post the information I suggested there and then open it up to questions, respectable questions, this isn't the debate area.

Pip: I'd love to see a thread where you explain how you came to be non-denominational, you could also post a link to your church's website if they have one or talk about what your church does that you like.

Ginny: I'd be really curious to learn about Southern Baptist and yes its your interpretation of what your denomination is but that's really the best you can do. I'd much rather learn what an actual Southern Baptist thinks than read some book saying what they believe that may or may not have been written by a Southern Baptist.

Haymitch: This is not a chance to bash differences or even to debate. These threads should be for honest inquirers to find out about other Christians and what they believe; and maybe how much we have in common.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I think this would be interesting, however, I don't really belong to a denomination. Uh, my church believes certain things, but we're not Baptist, Non-denominational, etc....
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I could probably defend the Baptist side of things pretty well, even though I consider myself to be independent of any denomination.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
John Chrysostom

Let's not try to defend a denomination if we don't belong to that denomination, that could quickly lead to trouble.

To those non-denominational people, talk in your thread about how you got to where you are. If you were raised non-denominational talk about what draws you to being independent and like I said post a link to your churches website if they have one or maybe type up your doctrinal statement if your church has one.

So who wants to go first? I'll start a thread as soon as someone else does :p
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jesus' Princess wrote:I think this would be interesting, however, I don't really belong to a denomination. Uh, my church believes certain things, but we're not Baptist, Non-denominational, etc....
That's pretty much called non-denominational. ;)

I guess I could go ahead and post a topic.

Or maybe this topic could just be sort of a general denomination Q&A topic. We don't really need a bunch of different denominational topics floating around.

So, this is my church's belief statement:
The Bible

All Scripture is self-attesting and being Truth, requires our unreserved submission in all areas of life. The infallible Word of God, the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, is a complete and unified witness to God’s redemptive acts culminating in the incarnation of the Living Word, the Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible, uniquely and fully inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the supreme and final authority in all matters on which it speaks.

On this foundation we affirm the following as Essentials of Our Faith:

One God

We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To him be all honor, glory and praise forever!

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through his miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and his virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one person forever. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day he arose bodily from the dead, he ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, he now is our High Priest and Mediator.

The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, he gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service, and seals us for the day of redemption.

Salvation

Being estranged from God, and condemned by our sin nature our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God’s free grace; God credits his righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, and thereby justifies them in his sight. Only those who are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.

The Church

The true Church is composed of all persons who, through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit, are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.

The Return of Christ

Jesus Christ will come again to the earth—personally, visibly, and bodily—to judge the living and the dead and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. Even so, "come, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:20 NASB)

The Great Commission

The Lord Jesus Christ demands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to him who "loved us and gave himself for us.” He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 5:2, 2:10 NASB)
I've pretty much always been non-denominational, I guess. That's just the way my family went. Our current church is called a community church and welcomes all denominations, but we're affiliated with the Evangelical Presbyterian church.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Pip wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:I think this would be interesting, however, I don't really belong to a denomination. Uh, my church believes certain things, but we're not Baptist, Non-denominational, etc....
That's pretty much called non-denominational. ;
I guess that make sense, I've just never thought of itnthat way :) maybe I'll make a thread,so things don't get confusing in here.
John Chrysostom

Pip: Thank you for the post, a few questions. 1. You welcome all denominations, do you have any limitations on who may take communion with you? 2. I was looking at the EPC's website and they said that the issue of women pastors is up to the local congregation, what does your congregation believe about the ordination of women?

I agree, if people want to post here go ahead. If they want to start a new thread go ahead. A combination of those will keep too many threads from starting but will also ensure this thread doesn't get out of control.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Ginny Weasley wrote:I'm a Southern Baptist conservative. I highly doubt I'm the only one here, so I'm not sure how many people would be really curious as to how it works.
I would be interested...

\:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ayn Rand wrote:Pip: Thank you for the post, a few questions. 1. You welcome all denominations, do you have any limitations on who may take communion with you? 2. I was looking at the EPC's website and they said that the issue of women pastors is up to the local congregation, what does your congregation believe about the ordination of women?
1. No, as long as they're a believer of course.
2. I'm not entirely sure, but I do know we've had women speak in the main service before, and there are several female leaders in the youth ministry of course.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Haymitch wrote:I'd consider doing this but I am tired of being bashed for my beliefs by other Christians. (Not just on here.) And seeing as basically no one on here agree's with me I'm not doing it without some support. But I do look forward to seeing someone else do it.
From what I remember, I think I've agreed with you before.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Haymitch wrote:I'd consider doing this but I am tired of being bashed for my beliefs by other Christians. (Not just on here.) And seeing as basically no one on here agree's with me I'm not doing it without some support. But I do look forward to seeing someone else do it.
From what I remember, I think I've agreed with you before.
Yes, just bad past experiences.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Understandable. I'm hoping mine won't spark too much argument, but we shall see!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I think this is an interesting idea, I'm already having a bit of fun just asking questions. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY