Southern Baptist Denomination Q&A

Ask me in all my redneckery

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Pretty much. There are discrepancies, I'm sure, as to what translations to use and what specific and nitpicky doctrines are to be agreed upon, but as to what we accept as canon, I think it's more of a Protestant/Catholic thing.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

What is your churches opinion on dancing?

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
TigerintheShadows

Honestly, the church itself doesn't make any rules about dancing or not. I mean, you won't find anybody dancing in the aisles or something, but we show energy once in awhile. ;) The 5th/6th, 7th/8th, and high school choirs also do choreography with the music we do, so I doubt that we'd do that were there rules on dancing, although I could be wrong.

We do make jokes about it though; once my youth pastor did a sermon when the senior pastor was on vacation and asked us how many of us did X, and then when we raised our hands he remarked that this was "the only time you'd ever see anyone raising their hands in a Southern Baptist church". ;)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, but is there a difference between Baptist and Southern Baptist? Is it purely regional or do you differ on theological issues?
TigerintheShadows

All Baptists don't necessarily believe the same thing; there are Southern Baptists, Northern Baptists, American Baptists, Free Will Baptists, et cetera. I don't know where all the discrepencies lie, but I do know that there are many different Baptist denominations.
AIO tumblr sideblog
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Do you believe that Christ will reign for a literal 1,000 years on earth after His Second Coming?
TigerintheShadows

Hoo-wee. The end times? There's a topic.

Generally Southern Baptists believe in the literal millenial reign and most other dispensational premillenialism, but it's a big enough denomination that, again, people have different beliefs concerning it.
AIO tumblr sideblog
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Do you believe baptism is necessary for salvation? If someone is not baptized after accepting Christ, will they still go to hell?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
TigerintheShadows

My pastor often mentions that when he talks about the people who go to church and think that it makes them Christians. It's not about if you walked an aisle, prayed a prayer, and/or were baptized. Those aren't inherently bad things, but they don't save you. To us, the act of being immersed in water with some speech doesn't mean that you're a Christian or not a Christian; baptism is, as I have always been taught, an act of obedience. To us, the "baptized part" is irrelevant if the "accepting Christ" part hasn't happened.
AIO tumblr sideblog
John Chrysostom

So could one be "baptized" without water since it's a matter of obedience and not the immersion in water?
TigerintheShadows

If there is a reason (no water available, for example), then yes, one could be, but the whole point of baptism is, to us, a form of public identification and expression of faith, so in this case, the spirit of the law is more important than the letter, if that makes sense.
AIO tumblr sideblog
John Chrysostom

Do you believe that you can completely logically justify your faith?

The statement you posted from the The Southern Baptist Convention says that they "deny the right of any secular or religious authority to impose a confession of faith upon a church or body of churches." Would they also deny the right of the Convention to impose doctrinal standards on a specific Southern Baptist church?

The statement also talks about "accountability to each other under the Word of God." How would this work in a real world application? And what would happen if there was disagreement about the interpretation of Scripture?

Could a Catholic or a Mormon take communion at your church?