Eastern Orthodox Denomination Q&A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Yes, I believe it's always wrong
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Who is Jesus to you?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

He is the Son of God, fully God and fully Man, for our Salvation He was made incarnate, was crucified, and rose from the dead.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So at my Church, there's a few liturgical aspects that involve sprinkling of Holy water.

Not quite like this, though. :0

Haha, is this a common practice or an abnormality?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

That was way more aggressive than what I had pictured "sprinkling of the Holy water" to look like. I'm also curious if this is considered normal in the Orthodox church. However, John Chrysostom is unfortunately no longer with us on the ToO, so we won't be finding out in this thread. :(

You go to an Episcopalian church, right? I visited one a month or so ago and they were very welcoming. There wasn't anyone in the congregation younger than 30, so while I'd definitely go back sometime, my search for a church continues. The next closest Episcopalian church is apparently closed for massive renovations, but they neglected to mention that anywhere on their website, so I had to drive there to find out. :x
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

We just call it the Anglican church here in Canada, but yeah, essentially! My parish actually has quite a number of young people, and as far as I understand there's been something of a small resurgence across the country largely comprised of millennials choosing to trade in their evangelical experiences for something that feels more theologically rich, more grounded in valuable tradition. I started attending three years ago during Holy Week, and last year I was confirmed Anglican by the Bishop. I can truthfully say that I likely wouldn't be apart of a Church community today if it wasn't for the Anglican liturgy!

I'm definitely curious though, what else have you found so far on your Church search??
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I thought there was a difference between Anglican and Episcopal because of the whole gay bishop thing, but maybe that's just US vocabulary.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Nope, no significant difference. I think there were a number of individual parishes in the US that chose to split off around the time Gene Robinson was ordained and call themselves "Anglican" in an attempt to distant themselves from the US Church, which might be what you're referring to, but the Episcopal Church has in no way been excommunicated from the global Anglican communion or anything.