Non-Denomonational Q&A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Non-Denomonational Q&A

Post by Jesus' Princess »

So I guess my denomination is non-denominational, seeing as we aren't really anything else :p

Some of our basic beliefs are:
We believe in God the father, Jesus Christ the son, and the Holy Spirit.
We believe that Christ died on the cross for our sins, and rose again to take away the penalty from us.
We believe that Christ will come again, and judge the earth.

Feel free to ask me questions.
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

What is your church called? Are you affiliated with any other churches? Is your church reformed?

Did you grow up in this church? Do you think you'll stay there once you grow up? What is the thing that you most appreciate about your church?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

It's called *insert name of town* Bible Fellowship, and we're not really affiliated with any other churches.

Not really, (I'm fifteen, but I know what you're asking) we used to attend a baptist church in town, but they hired a new pastor and we ended up leaving, then we went to a different home fellowship for about a year, we eventually found this church we're at now, about three years ago.

I definitely would, as long as I'm living here.

Probably the laid backness, and I know that sounds weird, but we've met in buildings, living rooms, a barn, and it's still an amazing time of growing for me. I don't know if thats coming across the way I want it to?
John Chrysostom

It's coming across clearly, I understand.

If you don't mind me asking what about the new pastor made you leave?

How often does your church do communion?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

So, I'll answer questions in here too, if that's okay with you, Jesus' Princess
Steve

Post by Steve »

What kinds of music do your guys's churches do? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but like, contemporary music can be a big "no-no" for some denominations.
he/him | a little stinker.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ayn Rand wrote:It's coming across clearly, I understand.

If you don't mind me asking what about the new pastor made you leave?
It was a number of reasons really, he was very against children, and disabled people, and that was hard for us, having a big family with to disabled kids. Also he was trying to turn the church into an elderly community, (now, it's pretty much all elderly) things like that.
Ayn Rand wrote:How often does your church do communion?
we don't do communion as a church actually.
Pip wrote:So, I'll answer questions in here too, if that's okay with you, Jesus' Princess
that's totally fine with me :)
Steve wrote:What kinds of music do your guys's churches do? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but like, contemporary music can be a big "no-no" for some denominations.
for worship, we use piano, and the congregation sings. Sometimes we'll have someone do violin or cello backup as well. As far as allowing music, we don't have a set rule, it varies with the different families.
John Chrysostom

Is there a stated reason for not doing communion as a church? And does your family do it another way?

On another topic, do you mainly interact with people your age from your own church or do you interact with other churches in the area?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ayn Rand wrote:Is there a stated reason for not doing communion as a church? And does your family do it another way?
there's not really a stated reason, we've just never done it.About once a month, we go in the mornings to another more formal, again non denominational, church where we take communion.
Ayn Rand wrote: On another topic, do you mainly interact with people your age from your own church or do you interact with other churches in the area?
I definitely interact mostly with people in my church, but I do interact with people from other churches a lot, at youth nights and such.
John Chrysostom

How do you feel about going to another church to take communion? Is there a reason you don't go to that one regularly?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ayn Rand wrote:How do you feel about going to another church to take communion? Is there a reason you don't go to that one regularly?
I'm fine with it, its nice. Well, it's in another town, and about a 50 minute drive there, and 50 minute drive home, so with lots of young kids, leaving home by 8:00 am is challenging. Once I start driving I may go more often though.
John Chrysostom

This question is for Pip and Princess: Do your churches have stated reasons for only recognizing 66 books in the Bible?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ayn Rand wrote:This question is for Pip and Princess: Do your churches have stated reasons for only recognizing 66 books in the Bible?
No, we don't really have a stated reason. It's just been something we've always done.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ya, we don't have a stated reason that I know of. I would assume it's because many of them are of questionable origin.
John Chrysostom

Again for both: Do you believe that miracles happen in the present day?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

I most definitely do, I believe I have witnessed 2 myself.
John Chrysostom

If you don't mind could you share what you witnessed?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

The first one happened about 4 years ago, my younger sister had to have surgery, she has a genetic disorder so she's not "normal" and it was a huge deal for her to be put under. She did okay but later that night crashed (went into critical condition) and almost quit breathing. The doctors in the hospital gave up on her and told us to let her die, because they didn't want to help her. A nurse came in and told my parents to take Gracie and go to another hospital, and to pray. They did, and our church did, and she had a close call but God is good and she lived. By the way, they didn't tell my parents this until after the whole thing, but when they got to the other hospital, the team gave her a 10% chance of survival. I call it a miracle.

The other one is just that at birth, they told us 6-8months she would live, and she wouldn't ever talk, sit, stand, walk, communicat, understand, or smile. Shes eight now, and does every single one of these things.

I believe my sister is a miracle, some don't, but I do.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I believe they do happen today. They don't happen in exactly the same way as Bible times, but I mean, there are probably millions of stories like Jesus' Princess's, and they're happening every day.
John Chrysostom

How do they differ from the ones in Bible times?