Nazarene/Wesleyan Q&A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Nazarene/Wesleyan Q&A

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Per Ayn Rand's suggestion on denominational topics, I thought I'd start one as well. I combined Nazarene and Wesleyan, as they are virtually identical denominations except for a few minor differences. I lean toward the Wesleyan views, but I attend a Nazarene church. The difference, from what I understand, is that Nazarenes are more conservative when it comes to gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as speaking in tongues. But anyway, here is the basic description from the website, but you can find more if you go there and browse. Or you can ask questions.
http://nazarene.org/ministries/administ ... splay.html

The Church of the Nazarene is the largest denomination in the classical Wesleyan-Holiness tradition. The doctrine that distinguishes the Church of the Nazarene and other Wesleyan denominations from most other Christian denominations is that of entire sanctification. Nazarenes believe that God calls Christians to a life of holy living that is marked by an act of God, cleansing the heart from original sin and filling the individual with love for God and humankind. This experience is marked by entire consecration of the believer to do God's will and is followed by a life of seeking to serve God through service to others. Like salvation, entire sanctification is an act of God's grace, not of works. Our pursuant service to God is an act of love whereby we show our appreciation for the grace that has been extended to us through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Nazarenes are passionate about making a difference in the world by taking the good news of Jesus Christ to people everywhere. Today there are 702 missionaries and volunteers serving around the world. Each week, Nazarenes worship in more than 212 languages or tribal languages, with literature produced in 90 of these. The church operates 33 medical clinics and hospitals worldwide. This missionary enterprise is made possible by the contributions of the global Nazarene family. Nazarenes also engage in starting new churches and congregations by praying, giving, and supporting worldwide volunteers and contracted missionaries.

I'd probably say that aside from these basics, we aren't hardcore strict about specific practices, so we don't debate greatly on things like infant baptism, hymns vs. contemporary music, clothing, communion, etc. So in some ways, we resemble non-denominational churches from the outside. But we are definitely distinct from those when you look at the core focus.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Hmmm, interesting. I've never really heard the term 'entire sanctification' before, but, from how you defined it, I totally agree with it. Exactly what denominations don't accept that concept, that you know of?
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Thank you very much Soccer these are two denominations I never knew very much about and am glad to learn about. A few questions.

1. You lean toward the Wesleyan view, what role do you think gifts of the Holy Spirit play in the Church today? And how should they be used in the Church?

2. The website you linked to said "It being the Communion feast, only those who have faith in Christ and love for the saints should be called to participate therein." The term love for the saints is interesting, could you explain what that means to you?

3. The website also says you identify with the Early Church, what are some ways you do that?

4. Does your denomination have stated reasons for only recognizing 66 books in the Bible?
Last edited by John Chrysostom on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

How would you describe the standards of your members? In other words, how do you apply your faith to everyday living?

\:D/
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Wow, SoccerLOTR, you guys believe in entire sanctification? That's one of the main beliefs in ours
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Hey all, super sorry that I started this topic then disappeared for a month...I've been insanely busy and am just taking a few minutes break to look on here. Ayn Rand, I will have to respond to your questions later as I believe they will take a bit of putting-together. Lee--could you be more specific? Christians should strive to apply faith to daily living in every way and I'm not sure how you're asking it and how it would be much different than how other denominations would?
OdysseyFan1--yep, in reading comments of yours, I noticed you've said you're also part of the "holiness tradition" and some of our basic beliefs are fairly alike. Somewhere along the line though, our denominations split to a great degree on the specifics and intricacies, obvious in the number of disagreements we have! But I think our core beliefs remain pretty similar.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Do you believe that Christ will reign for a literal 1,000 years on earth after His Second Coming?
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Ayn Rand wrote:Thank you very much Soccer these are two denominations I never knew very much about and am glad to learn about. A few questions.

Ok, I am FINALLY getting around to answering some of these questions...I have the first two for now, I will work on the next two hopefully tomorrow, but I wanted to put some of it up here already to get this answering finally started.
Ayn Rand wrote:1. You lean toward the Wesleyan view, what role do you think gifts of the Holy Spirit play in the Church today? And how should they be used in the Church?

Ok, this is a HUGE topic and I’ve been having problems figuring out where to start or how to fully explain my opinion here. As it says in 1st Corinthians 12, the Holy Spirit distributes different gifts to members of the Church for the good of the whole. Each person is different and will contribute in different ways. However, it should be noted that gifts of the Spirit are only used when it means furthering the Kingdom of God. Some people may have special talents or abilities, but it doesn’t automatically make it a spiritual gift—unless it is used to advance the kingdom. For example—one may be a genius, but it doesn’t mean they have the gift of knowledge—the spiritual gift of knowledge relates to knowledge of God and His workings.

Anyway, I’ll try to get a little more specific now. Some of the gifts are fairly obvious and seen in most churches, for example, teaching, wisdom, knowledge. Teaching may express itself in Sunday school teachers, Bible study leaders, or just in members who speak up in Bible study or class to explain various concepts in ways that listeners understand. Knowledge may come up in similar circumstances, but not always realized as a “gift” because it simply implies that God has given some a greater capacity to not only store information, but also to understand spiritual matters and share the knowledge in the right circumstances. Wisdom may come in the form of people in the church that others feel comfortable going to for advice (i.e. Mr. Whittaker).

Then you have the gifts that are not so common and frowned upon in some denominations and simply declared “charismatic” and showy, for example prophesy, healing, or speaking in tongues. As I’ve seen prophesy manifested, it’s typically been directed toward a specific person, either in prayer, or the person delivering the prophesy was led by God to speak to someone. It can serve as a word of encouragement, a word of warning, or a word of advice in light of events happening or that will be happening. The gift of healing—upon God’s leading, the person may pray over someone for healing and it is done. The gift of tongues I can’t say I fully have it figured out…Some say that it can be a “personal language between you and God”, but I’m not sure I see evidence of that in the Bible. But I do believe that what happened at Pentecost is possible, but the context would be limited to going in to a culture where the language is unknown to you—but being able to speak and having people of that culture understand you. I don’t see that gift as being prevalent in the modern world, but in certain cases, I believe God may choose to make Himself known through that. But again, I’m not an expert in that subject.

Hopefully this answers your question?
Ayn Rand wrote:2. The website you linked to said "It being the Communion feast, only those who have faith in Christ and love for the saints should be called to participate therein." The term love for the saints is interesting, could you explain what that means to you?
I hadn’t seen that before…interesting. I’d say “love of the saints” in this context means love for others as Christians…it means maintaining unity in the Body of Christ. Relating to what Jesus said in Matthew 5:23-24 about resolving arguments with a brother or sister before presenting a gift on the altar, and going off of what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 11:28 on examining yourself before taking the Lord’s supper, I would say that you should make sure you are not distracted from the solemn act of communion with a guilty conscience of not loving one another as we are commanded to do by Jesus. Make sense? Not sure if I’m expressing quite what I mean. That’s a good question though, I’m glad you asked--made me think!
Ayn Rand wrote:Do you believe that Christ will reign for a literal 1,000 years on earth after His Second Coming?
As far as this question goes...the second coming is a whole other story and I'm not sure I agree with either denomination--or most denominations--on the details of that--perhaps I will start another topic for that. But as far as the official position of the Church of the Nazarene on that question, I don't think they do believe that (never been taught that in church or heard it outside of theoretical discussions), and I'm not sure if there even is a set position on the details of the "end times" so to speak. I might have to do some research on that--My pastors (former and current) have explained various opinions on the "end times" but in the end don't really know for sure. What I do agree with my current pastor on is that the focus of a lot of Christians has turned the wrong direction in that they spend hours discussing getting to the Kingdom of God and think it is all about heaven--but we forget that Jesus came to bring the Kingdom of God to earth--He brought the love of God to us, the Holy Spirit to reside in us and transform us on earth and give us joy and peace in our souls, and equip us to minister to others and lead them to God as well. We shouldn't be so preoccupied with "the second coming" that we miss out on what God has for us now and neglect the needs of people around us.
Last edited by SoccerLOTR on Wed May 23, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Do you believe in the Just War Theory? If so, what verses of the Bible to you use to support this view? If not, what verses of the Bible to you use to support this view?
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, sorry it has taken so long to get to this question, I completely forgot about this. For the answer, yes, I believe in "just war". Some of the reasoning can be supported by specific verses, other reasoning from the general principles of right and wrong.

The Bible does not say war is desirable.
Better a patient person than a warrior,
one with self-control than one who takes a city. Proverbs 16:32
But the Bible also does not state that all war is wrong or uncalled for.
There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens...
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace. Ecclesiastes 3:1,8
So what is this "time for war"? In defense, and so that harm will not continue!
12 Arise, Lord! Lift up your hand, O God.
Do not forget the helpless.
13 Why does the wicked man revile God?
Why does he say to himself,
“He won’t call me to account”?
14 But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted;
you consider their grief and take it in hand.
The victims commit themselves to you;
you are the helper of the fatherless.
15 Break the arm of the wicked man;
call the evildoer to account for his wickedness
that would not otherwise be found out.

16 The Lord is King for ever and ever;
the nations will perish from his land.
17 You, Lord, hear the desire of the afflicted;
you encourage them, and you listen to their cry,
18 defending the fatherless and the oppressed,
so that mere earthly mortals
will never again strike terror.
Psalm 10:12-18
When is another "time for war"? Vengeance and punishment on a nation for a great wrong.
6 May the praise of God be in their mouths
and a double-edged sword in their hands,
7 to inflict vengeance on the nations
and punishment on the peoples,
8 to bind their kings with fetters,
their nobles with shackles of iron,
9 to carry out the sentence written against them

this is the glory of all his faithful people. Psalm 149:6-9
There are instructions in the Bible for waging war:
Plans are established by seeking advice;
so if you wage war, obtain guidance. Proverbs 20:18
And even Jesus acknowledged a time when the need would come for self-defense.
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied. Luke 22:35-38
So essentially--I believe war should be avoided if possible. But if someone attacks, we have the right to defend ourselves and strike back against the wrongdoer. It should never be done with excessive force, and should be done with the goal of ending violence, not starting more.