Pentecostal Q&A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Bren wrote:Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. So they never knew it. Like I said, they come when the Holy Ghost/Spirit comes in.
If you never know it then it must be unknown.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Yet in the very next verse it says "Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken." So today when people speak in tongues are they doing it in the same way the Apostles did?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

They are. However in regards to them understanding it, that had to be an act from God. Normally you don't understand them unless God works via interpretation or another way. I'll use an example that has been told in our church. One time the pastor was speaking in tounges and after the service a guy came up and wanted to know where he learned Hebrew. The pastor tried to make it clear he had never learned it. The other guy went on to say that the pastor was speaking perfect Hebrew.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

So you believe it is actual human language and not gibberish?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

It not a language we can learn. To us it might be gibbberish but it is a language to God.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Bren wrote:Well, you also have to keep in mind that what they drank back then wasn't as bad as what we have now. What we have now becomes addictive and ruins lives. Big difference.
If the Bible says, "Be not drunk with wine," then there must have been addicts and lives ruined by wine even back then. Right?

What are you views on women wearing pants, makeup, and jewelry?
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Do you believe that someone can be a Christian, and yet not have the Holy Spirit?

Do you believe that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are 3 persons which have existed forever (they are co-eternal) and which are each equally God?

Do you believe that Jesus Christ existed as God the Son before His incarnation?
Last edited by Christian A. on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Sapphire wrote:
Bren wrote:Well, you also have to keep in mind that what they drank back then wasn't as bad as what we have now. What we have now becomes addictive and ruins lives. Big difference.
If the Bible says, "Be not drunk with wine," then there must have been addicts and lives ruined by wine even back then. Right?

What are you views on women wearing pants, makeup, and jewelry?
That's probably the case. As for your other question, I think the following video answers it pretty well.

Christian A. wrote:Do you believe that someone can be a Christian, and yet not have the Holy Spirit?

Do you believe that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are 3 persons which have existed forever (they are co-eternal) and which are each equally God?

Do you believe that Jesus Christ existed as God the Son before His incarnation?
This should be simple. They can live a pretty good life but if you lead a good life yet have no relationship with God. I don't know if I would say they're a Christian. No and no. If you need more than that, let me know.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I only asked the question about the Holy Spirit because I've heard many Pentecostals say that you can be a Christian, but not yet have "the blessing" of the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:9b, however, says: "And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ." I just wondered if that's what you believe or not.

With regard to your second and third answers, yeah, that was all that I needed. Those were the answers I was expecting.

What do you believe Jesus is referring to when he speaks of "the glory I had with You[the Father] before the world began" in John 17:5?

Who is John 1:1-14 referring to when it speaks of the Word which existed in the beginning with God, and was God, and became flesh?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I grew up in a pentecostal church and they didn't have any hair cutting rules. :(
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

Would you ever marry someone who wasn't Pentecostal?

Does your denomination have stated reasons for only recognizing 66 books in the Bible?
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Michael wrote:Sure I'll get picked apart at every turn but I may as well have some fun
We believe Acts 2:38 is the plan of salvation
I'm assuming that you are a Oneness Pentecostal then.

I'm not trying to get in a Trinity vs. Oneness debate - but I will point out that for those who are asking about Pentecostal beliefs, while there are Pentecostal groups that are Oneness - the majority of Pentecostal churches and believers (myself included) believe in the Trinity.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Yeah, based on his answers to my questions about the Trinity, he's pretty obviously Oneness.