Beliefs of the Bible Q&A -from snubs

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:Have most of the churches you've gone to been Baptist?
Yes.
Ayn Rand wrote:What do you think the purpose of baptism is?
For me it is a symbol of death and rebirth in Jesus Christ. And as a washing away of sin.

Romans 6:3-4: (NKJV)
"Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

I also see it as a sign of obedience.
Ayn Rand wrote:Earlier you said about other denominations that they "have to believe that Jesus Christ was God and human in one, and that He died for their sins, and to receive Christ, you must repent and turn from your sins to follow Jesus." Do you believe those are the only non-gray areas for Christians or are there other truths that one should believe? For instance you seem to say that once saved always saved is very important.
Well, those are big ones. And for me I wouldn't want to attend a church that doesn't hold most of the beliefs I do. But I can't say whether one is a true believer or not because they may disagree on things. But if one is truly seeking Christ and believes in Him, then who am I to say they are not a Christian..?
Ayn Rand wrote:I am very interested in how other denominations view church history, do you think that the Baptist form of worship is similar to what was practiced in the Early Church by the Apostles? And do you think there is a point at which the practices of the Early Church were corrupted?
Honestly, I am not very familiar with the early church so I can't really say. Though, I do think nowadays a lot of people think singing is the only way to worship. And I am not too found of trying to make the church a concert hall.
Christian A. wrote:Along the same lines as what Ayn said, would you consider the concept of the Trinity to be an essential for the Christian? Must one believe that God has eternally existed in three co-equal persons having the same essence--three in one? Or is there room for disagreement there?
I would say so yes. However, in similarity to what I said above I don't know if there can be disagreement there and one be still a Christian. In ways I would say there can be.
Last edited by snubs on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

In your ideal church what would be the primary way to worship?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:In your ideal church what would be the primary way to worship?
I suppose I would have more praying, as in blessing God. I would also like more reading of Scripture to God, like the Psalms. And I would like singing, but more old hymns with only piano and/or organ. Or just no music. Just because I think people are just singing the songs because they are fun to sing and they like the music...and they are not really paying attention to the words (or even singing them to God). Singing Scripture is a great thing too. And I say hymns because they have so much more meaning and some of them even have Scripture in them.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

But Ephesians says to worship God with psalms and spiritual hymns. .so why no music?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Marvin D. wrote:But Ephesians says to worship God with psalms and spiritual hymns. .so why no music?
I never said no music ever. I just mean sometimes. Because to me, it seems too many people get caught up in the "great music" and not in the words (or who they should be singing to).
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

snubs wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:But Ephesians says to worship God with psalms and spiritual hymns. .so why no music?
I never said no music ever. I just mean sometimes. Because to me, it seems too many people get caught up in the "great music" and not in the words (or who they should be singing to).
Okay. Just wondering ;)

Do you believe you can lose your salvation?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Marvin D. wrote:Do you believe you can lose your salvation?
I've actually already answered that question. And I say no.
Last edited by snubs on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.