Beliefs of the Bible Q&A -from snubs

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Beliefs of the Bible Q&A -from snubs

Post by snubs »

If you were to say what denomination I am, it would be Baptist. Though, I don't really care what denomination someone is, as long as what they believe is true. Also, some people may consider me Conservative in my views, however in a few ways I don't think I am.

Go ahead and ask me any questions relating to what I believe about the Bible and other biblical matters.

NOTE: I am willing to have discussions but NOT debates. At least not debates that involve intense arguing. So, if you want to ask about controversial and/or grey areas in the Bible, I will only discuss them with you if you plan to go into the discussion with an open mind. Meaning, you will at least consider what I have to say (to be true or not). It seems (notice I said "seems") a lot of you people on here debate for the sole purpose of arguing. What is the point of even hearing the other person's side, if one is not even going to consider it? So yeah, don't start debates with me if your only reason is to proclaim why you are right and I am wrong. That's just annoying.
Last edited by snubs on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

So do you currently attend a Baptist church?

You say you don't care what denomination someone is, as long as what they believe is true. So would you say multiple denominations are true at the same time? And are there any basics that you think one needs to believe to be true?

Also are there any historical Creeds or Confessions that you identify with?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:So do you currently attend a Baptist church?
Yes, I do.
Ayn Rand wrote:You say you don't care what denomination someone is, as long as what they believe is true. So would you say multiple denominations are true at the same time? And are there any basics that you think one needs to believe to be true?
I would say that Baptists seem to be the most accurate in what they believe. Although, I've been to many different Baptist churches with each differing in views. I say,They have to believe that Jesus Christ was God and human in one, and that He died for their sins, and to receive Christ, you must repent and turn from your sins to follow Jesus. You know, the basics of Salvation and truths. When it comes to other little areas...like grey areas, that's another story, but I'm not going to say they are not saved. Christianity is not a religion, it's a fact.
Ayn Rand wrote:Also are there any historical Creeds or Confessions that you identify with?
Well, like I said above, one has to believe that Jesus Christ is God and that he saved us from our sins. I also think that one is a little twisted if they think they can lose their salvation and if they think there will be no rapture...or rather, the returning of Christ. There are probably some other things, but I'm not thinking of them right now. :-
John Chrysostom

Christianity is not a religion, it's a fact.
Can you expand on this point a bit? There was a bit of a discussion about this in another thread and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. How would define religion?

What would your opinion be of the Nicean Creed? Or the London Confession?

You say rapture, what does that mean to you? I agree about Christ returning but it seems like rapture has more connotations than just that.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:
Christianity is not a religion, it's a fact.
Can you expand on this point a bit? There was a bit of a discussion about this in another thread and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. How would define religion?
I guess I see religion as believing in something supernatural, like praying to a god/something (lowercase G). I mean, people think they are religious if they say grace before their supper...but they don't really believe in anything in terms of God. You can call Christianity a religion...but I say Christ is a fact, because He is true. True Christianity is truth, so how can it be religion? (I guess I'm not expanding enough..) I see it like this, there are many different religions but only one is true. How can we have so many different religions when only one is true? Do you see where I'm going with this (I'm not very good at explaining things)? So, for me, I don't like calling what I believe a "religion" because people go, "Oh, you are one of those..." or "She's just religious" (like I'm Catholic or something). I just feel it gives the wrong impression.
Ayn Rand wrote:What would your opinion be of the Nicean Creed? Or the London Confession?
To be honest, I've never heard of either one of those so I can't say.
Ayn Rand wrote:You say rapture, what does that mean to you? I agree about Christ returning but it seems like rapture has more connotations than just that.
I see the rapture as Christ returning and taking his people. After that, I believe the world will go through VERY chaotic times, with things happening that can only be explained by God. See, I believe Revelation, but I also know that John was having visions (or dreams) of the future. Meaning, those visions/dreams are probably something we can leave up to interpretation. So, I'm not claiming to know all the details of the "rapture." And I don't think we will ever know until it happens. I just know that Jesus will come back to take His chosen.
Last edited by snubs on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Chrysostom

I get that, I disagree but I get it, to me though whether you say it's a fact or a relationship or a truth there are a lot of people out there who claim to have all the facts or claim to have a good relationship or to know the truth and in no way do; we still have the true facts, the perfect relationship, and the real truth. Other people being mistaken about what they have doesn't negate what we have. So I would say we do have a religion despite what other religions there are, and this is not to debate a discussion, I really do see your side and until quite recently agreed fully with it. Now would you say that God is not supernatural?

This is the Nicene Creed: http://www.antiochian.org/674

What is your view on Catholicism?

Do you believe miracles happen in the current age?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sorry I haven't responded..
Ayn Rand wrote:I get that, I disagree but I get it, to me though whether you say it's a fact or a relationship or a truth there are a lot of people out there who claim to have all the facts or claim to have a good relationship or to know the truth and in no way do; we still have the true facts, the perfect relationship, and the real truth. Other people being mistaken about what they have doesn't negate what we have. So I would say we do have a religion despite what other religions there are, and this is not to debate a discussion, I really do see your side and until quite recently agreed fully with it. Now would you say that God is not supernatural?
I see what you are saying, and I believe you are right. So, yes, what we believe would be called a religion. I just don't go around saying "I'm religious" or "My religion is..."
Ayn Rand wrote:This is the Nicene Creed: http://www.antiochian.org/674
It sounds pretty accurate to what I believe. Though, I hope it was saying that God and Jesus are one (meaning, Jesus is God and man at the same time). I don't know about the one holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, though.. And baptizing doesn't cover one's sins. Only Jesus does that.
Ayn Rand wrote:What is your view on Catholicism?
I find them a bit warped in thinking. For one thing, they don't believe in the "once saved always saved," They also seemingly worship Jesus' mother Mary more than Jesus himself, which makes no sense to me. :-s And like I said above, baptizing someone doesn't make them saved nor does it cleanse there sins...and baptizing someone with a few sprinkles of water, is not baptism.
Ayn Rand wrote:Do you believe miracles happen in the current age?
Of course. They may not be as dramatic as they were back in Bible times, but they do happen. I'm sure they happen practically every day.
John Chrysostom

It says Jesus is of one essence with the Father.

What would you object to in the phrases One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church?

There are many Christian denominations who don't believe in once saved always saved, would you consider them a bit warped in their thinking?

Do you believe there is a proper way to treat Mary?

Well Catholic do infant baptism, would you be against infant baptism though?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sorry I took so long to respond. =}

Ayn Rand wrote:What would you object to in the phrases One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church?
I don't really see anything wrong with it, unless the people are Catholic.
Ayn Rand wrote:There are many Christian denominations who don't believe in once saved always saved, would you consider them a bit warped in their thinking?
I don't think I would say they are "warped" but more like a little shaky or they are just not very clear on things. But usually though, it's not just that one thing they don't believe in.
Ayn Rand wrote:Do you believe there is a proper way to treat Mary?
Um, no. I mean, we shouldn't disrespect her. But we disrespect other people either. Mary was just the selected woman to carry Jesus, and I think that is very honoring for her, but I'm not going to go worship her. I mean, she was still just as human as we are.
Ayn Rand wrote:Well Catholic do infant baptism but they still do full immersion, would you be against infant baptism though?
Yes. Because that isn't baptism. And even if they were to do full immersion with the baby, it's still not baptism. One must first accept Christ and then be baptized...and a baby cannot make that choice.
John Chrysostom

Would you say it would be wrong to call Mary blessed?

Would you say that belief in once saved always saved is essential to being a Christian?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:Would you say it would be wrong to call Mary blessed?
Um, I don't know.. I never really thought about it. I mean, I guess you could say she was blessed. But I don't know.
Ayn Rand wrote:Would you say that belief in once saved always saved is essential to being a Christian?
Yes, I think it is. I say this because I've recently had a bit of trouble with this personally (not exactly in the same way though). One, I think the Bible clearly states that if you believe in Jesus you will be saved, and that's that. And two, Christianity is based a lot on faith, so if we truly believe in Him (and that He covered our sins) we should have complete faith that He has saved us. Plus, there is no possible way we could ever be good enough for God, and if we don't believe in once saved always saved, then I guess Jesus died for nothing.
John Chrysostom

What would you say about Luke 1:48 "For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed."

Well I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit extreme to say Christ died for nothing if we don't believe in once saved always saved.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

So if someone was a Christian..."saved", as it were, but later turned away from Christ and did horrible things like kill millions of people in a holocaust, would that person still be "saved" and go to heaven?
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:What would you say about Luke 1:48 "For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed."
Well, I would say she is blessed, but not in the way that one would worship her.
Ayn Rand wrote:Well I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a bit extreme to say Christ died for nothing if we don't believe in once saved always saved.
Yeah, but if our salvation didn't last, why did Jesus have to die? I mean, would that mean He only died to cover sins for a time?
Kait wrote:So if someone was a Christian..."saved", as it were, but later turned away from Christ and did horrible things like kill millions of people in a holocaust, would that person still be "saved" and go to heaven?
I'm not going to be the one to say someone is saved or not (that's God's business). However, if someone were to do all that, something tells me they probably weren't saved in the first place.
Last edited by snubs on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Chrysostom

Fair enough, but just so you know Catholics and Orthodox, such as myself, who venerate Mary do not worship her.

I think the answer is more complicated than that and this thread is not about that but I appreciate hearing your side of that issue.

Some other questions: How often does your church take communion? How old are people normally when they are baptized in your church?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:Some other questions: How often does your church take communion?
Well, I am not a member of any church, never have been. Mostly because my family has moved from church to church so much (at least 7 in 14 years). However, the church I am currently attending takes communion I think once a month. I'm not totally sure one that because I do not take communion (because I've never been baptized).
Ayn Rand wrote:How old are people normally when they are baptized in your church?
Uh, it varies I would say. Some of them are young kids (8-12) and some are young adults/adults. I know they don't baptize people who do not first confess they believe in Christ and Him dying for their sins and such.
John Chrysostom

If you don't mind me asking is there a reason for all the changing of churches?

And along the same lines, is there a reason you've never been baptized?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ayn Rand wrote:If you don't mind me asking is there a reason for all the changing of churches?
We've just had problems from the people, to the leadership, to the music. One church had a pastor that drank a lot (the whole church ended up splitting up). Then some years later we went back to the church (because they had a new pastor), but we came to figure out that the whole church pretty much only focuses on them. Like they don't want to help with most missions, and they just are not good stewards of the tithes. We also didn't agree with a lot of his preaching.
Ayn Rand wrote:And along the same lines, is there a reason you've never been baptized?
It just never happened for some reason. I do want to, but it just has yet to happen. Some of it is because I want to be sure in my faith, and recently I've been having some issues...but I think they are getting sorted out.
Last edited by snubs on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Chrysostom

Have most of the churches you've gone to been Baptist?

What do you think the purpose of baptism is?

Earlier you said about other denominations that they "have to believe that Jesus Christ was God and human in one, and that He died for their sins, and to receive Christ, you must repent and turn from your sins to follow Jesus." Do you believe those are the only non-gray areas for Christians or are there other truths that one should believe? For instance you seem to say that once saved always saved is very important.

I am very interested in how other denominations view church history, do you think that the Baptist form of worship is similar to what was practiced in the Early Church by the Apostles? And do you think there is a point at which the practices of the Early Church were corrupted?
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Along the same lines as what Ayn said, would you consider the concept of the Trinity to be an essential for the Christian? Must one believe that God has eternally existed in three co-equal persons having the same essence--three in one? Or is there room for disagreement there?